There is hope for Randy Gregory

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Show me factual evidence that one can be addicted to pot. A medical opinion. I have used pot for over 25 or so years off and on. I smoked regularly when I was in my early 20s - late 20s. Stopped for a long, long while and didn't start up until it was legalized here in Oregon. I am now 48. I am not, or have ever been addicted to pot. I have no internal pain or regret if I am off of it.

You have your opinion on why he uses, and I have mine. I am not making any excuse.

We don't know the day to day treatment of his condition as of today.

"How is bipolar disorder treated?

If you’re diagnosed with bipolar disorder, your doctor will create a plan of action for you. Your treatment options may include:

- psychotherapy involving interpersonal, behavioral, or social rhythm therapy
- medication, such as mood stabilizers and anti-anxiety medications
- certain lifestyle changes, such as a planned exercise regimen or sleep schedule"

I'll show you, but it's clear you won't believe it:

Is marijuana addictive?
Marijuana use can lead to the development of problem use, known as a marijuana use disorder, which takes the form of addiction in severe cases. Recent data suggest that 30 percent of those who use marijuana may have some degree of marijuana use disorder.18 People who begin using marijuana before the age of 18 are four to seven times more likely to develop a marijuana use disorder than adults.19

Marijuana use disorders are often associated with dependence—in which a person feels withdrawal symptoms when not taking the drug. People who use marijuana frequently often report irritability, mood and sleep difficulties, decreased appetite, cravings, restlessness, and/or various forms of physical discomfort that peak within the first week after quitting and last up to 2 weeks.20,21 Marijuana dependence occurs when the brain adapts to large amounts of the drug by reducing production of and sensitivity to its own endocannabinoid neurotransmitters.22,23

Marijuana use disorder becomes addiction when the person cannot stop using the drug even though it interferes with many aspects of his or her life. Estimates of the number of people addicted to marijuana are controversial, in part because epidemiological studies of substance use often use dependence as a proxy for addiction even though it is possible to be dependent without being addicted. Those studies suggest that 9 percent of people who use marijuana will become dependent on it,24,25 rising to about 17 percent in those who start using in their teens.26,27

In 2015, about 4.0 million people in the United States met the diagnostic criteria for a marijuana use disorder;3 138,000 voluntarily sought treatment for their marijuana use.28

And I had no doubt you were a pot user based on you making excuses for Gregory smoking marijuana. It was a choice on his part to do something that was illegal when he started, still is in many areas and that has cost him his job. There is no excuse for that.

Also on that website: https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/research-reports/marijuana/marijuana-addictive there is information about the increased potency of marijuana.

Rising Potency
Marijuana potency, as detected in confiscated samples, has steadily increased over the past few decades.2 In the early 1990s, the average THC content in confiscated marijuana samples was roughly 3.7 percent. In 2014, it was 6.1 percent.29 Also, newly popular methods of smoking or eating THC-rich hash oil extracted from the marijuana plant (a practice called dabbing) may deliver very high levels of THC to the person. The average marijuana extract contains more than 50 percent THC, with some samples exceeding 80 percent. These trends raise concerns that the consequences of marijuana use could be worse than in the past, particularly among those who are new to marijuana use or in young people, whose brains are still developing (see "What are marijuana’s long-term effects on the brain?").

Researchers do not yet know the full extent of the consequences when the body and brain (especially the developing brain) are exposed to high concentrations of THC or whether the recent increases in emergency department visits by people testing positive for marijuana are related to rising potency. The extent to which people adjust for increased potency by using less or by smoking it differently is also unknown. Recent studies suggest that experienced people may adjust the amount they smoke and how much they inhale based on the believed strength of the marijuana they are using, but they are not able to fully compensate for variations in potency.

Again, marijuana has its medical benefits, but most of those who choose to smoke it are not doing it for those reasons. If they want the medical benefits, they can take a pill that will not cause them to get high.

gimmesix

Reaction score
What "treatment" specifically do you suggest he takes that will definitely take care of issues he may have? If that treatment fails...then what? It seems like you're making a lot of assumptions.

Again, I have no problem with medical marijuana. It serves a purpose. That purpose is not the same as smoking marijuana. Randy Gregory knew and acknowledged what he did was wrong. We seem to have many on here who believe the ends justifies the means. Gregory's choice was plain and simply wrong. If you want to look up what "treatment" he could have used, if his concern was controlling bipolar disease that we don't even know if he has, there are all kinds of sites for that.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
People we are talking about weed plant that is proven to heal not kill but heal... Marijuana is not a drug! Acting like marijuana is crack or something... I bet he plays 10 times better after smoking too..

Im just saying Lets be real about it and not sugar coat it.. is a natural herb that heals multiple issues that goes on in the human body especially us Melenated people it actually have a purporse its a reason its here on earth to fight the bs...

Plus If people are healed how will dr's make there money

just though Id bring some insight into waht we are discussing and acting like is a drug addiction or harmful lets state facts while we hope the league stop the bs on the benefits for the ones that do use it.

Dont judge that man not you but the others

Dude, how high were you when you wrote this?

A drug is any substance that brings about a temporary physiologic change within the body, other than nutrition.

"Natural" substances include lead, arsenic, and poison mushrooms; therefore, natural doesn't necessarily mean safe.

All early pharmaceuticals were derived from plants and other living things; therefore, they too came from natural sources.

Injuries, inherited and acquired diseases, and aging give physicians plenty to do; we'd be happy if you could come up with a cure for any of those.
For example, until 1989 every major hospital in the country scheduled open laparotomy surgery cases daily for the treatment of acute and chronic peptic ulcer disease. Then Prilosec was launched, and the need for these invasive surgeries has been extremely rare, as are the subsequent morbidity and mortality. More recently, a cure for Hepatitis C has been found, and the immense pain, suffering, and expense of that fatal syndrome can now be avoided. Since the dawn of medicine, research has been ongoing to improve, limit, or eradicate disease; this BS that the conspiracy types spew about "what your doctor doesn't want you to know" is complete folklore.

Healing is permanent; if THC brings about a beneficial response, it's still only for the duration of the drug, must be constantly treated, and therefore is not a cure.

The use of THC products does negatively influence cognitive function and reaction times; memory has had cumulative decline in individuals.

Psychological dependence is real; constant use has been shown to decrease productivity, motivation, and ambition.

Inhaled substances cause lung disease over time.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He has to beat out George Tapper or Datone Jones.....not DLaw, DIrving or TCrawford
Agree.

On a side note I thought Datone Jones played well fir a guy that was new to the scheme.

It is obvious that he has been coached while with other teams to occupy blockers on certain plays which does not seem to be an emphasis for Marinelli but probably should be.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Again, I have no problem with medical marijuana. It serves a purpose. That purpose is not the same as smoking marijuana. Randy Gregory knew and acknowledged what he did was wrong. We seem to have many on here who believe the ends justifies the means. Gregory's choice was plain and simply wrong. If you want to look up what "treatment" he could have used, if his concern was controlling bipolar disease that we don't even know if he has, there are all kinds of sites for that.

I am asking you specifically. I know there are potential treatments that many of those sites will suggest. What happens when none of them work, or don't work well?

Smoking marijuana can serve the same purpose as "strictly medicinal" marijuana in some instances.

Justify the means? That sounds like someone who is talking about marijuana as a moral bad. Maybe for Gregory, any relief he may get from marijuana is more important to him than football. Who are you to judge what is best for him?

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Not being rude, but how do you know?
Was there a recent article on that?
IIRC They don't discuss any new failed tests when he is serving a suspension for a prior failed test.

No, still banned by the league.
Just do some research

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Inhaled substances cause lung disease over time.
I have a feeling a member or two will try debunking any statement saying inhaling any foreign substances can possibly harm the lungs--as if continually breathing in irritants cannot damage lung tissue... because the lungs are made up of unscratchable titanium steel! :p

gimmesix

Reaction score
I am asking you specifically. I know there are potential treatments that many of those sites will suggest. What happens when none of them work, or don't work well?

Smoking marijuana can serve the same purpose as "strictly medicinal" marijuana in some instances.

Justify the means? That sounds like someone who is talking about marijuana as a moral bad. Maybe for Gregory, any relief he may get from marijuana is more important to him than football. Who are you to judge what is best for him?

If marijuana use is against company policy or illegal, then it is wrong. That's not making it a "moral bad."

If my boss told me that I was not allowed to be on this site at work, then I wouldn't be on this site. If it was illegal for me to be on this site, then I wouldn't be on this site.

Your question is not a good one because A) we don't know if Gregory even has a problem that he needs treatment for and B) we can't know if any of those other treatments work unless he tries them. There's no information out there, no attempt that has been made that we know of, that says Gregory is smoking dope for medicinal purposes.

If smoking marijuana, which exposes you to the THC that causes you to get high, can serve the same purpose as the "strictly medicinal" marijuana in some instances, then why smoke it when you can take the drug that serves that purpose?

Again, the ends do not justify the means. The effects that Gregory needs to achieve if he has a mental illness can be accomplished through both legal means and ways that adhere to NFL policy. It's not about relief, because relief can be achieved without doing something that costs him his NFL career. Relief is a weak excuse for those who don't have a problem with Gregory's poor choices.

John813

Reaction score
Just do some research

I see this:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ils-7th-drug-test-has-blown-off-nfl-officials
And I see this:
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...tedly-apply-for-reinstatement-this-offseason/
http://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2017/10/21/dallas-cowboys-randy-gregory-suspension-return/

Third one brings up that report from the first link about a possible failed test, but never gained traction, so it's in the air if that was a fake rumor or not. NFL doesn't discuss another suspension while a player is serving for a current suspension. Gregory declined to bid for reinstatement on November 6th for what ever reason. some reports say he could go for reinstatement this month.

@speedkilz88 Ro McClain got slapped with his one year ban the day before his suspension was going to expire for his 10 game ban. He didn't have to apply for reinstatement like Gregory will have to. All I read was that he recently missed a test, but no exact date on when he recently missed it. Not sure if it was leaked early or since his suspension was set to expire the next day NFL reporters were allowed to comment on it.

I hope Randy can contribute next year. Not rooting against him. Pretty much agreed with @Trouty throughout the year on the topic.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I see this:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ils-7th-drug-test-has-blown-off-nfl-officials
And I see this:
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...tedly-apply-for-reinstatement-this-offseason/
http://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2017/10/21/dallas-cowboys-randy-gregory-suspension-return/

Third one brings up that report from the first link about a possible failed test, but never gained traction, so it's in the air if that was a fake rumor or not. NFL doesn't discuss another suspension while a player is serving for a current suspension. Gregory declined to bid for reinstatement on November 6th for what ever reason. some reports say he could go for reinstatement this month.

@speedkilz88 Ro McClain got slapped with his one year ban the day before his suspension was going to expire for his 10 game ban. He didn't have to apply for reinstatement like Gregory will have to. All I read was that he recently missed a test, but no exact date on when he recently missed it. Not sure if it was leaked early or since his suspension was set to expire the next day NFL reporters were allowed to comment on it.

I hope Randy can contribute next year. Not rooting against him. Pretty much agreed with @Trouty throughout the year on the topic.
Can't remember the article but there was a good one about Randy starting to get his life back together. I commented about no matter what if his personal life gets back on track then that's a positive clearly.

So many are quick to say he has failed test because of his history. He has passed test since this last suspension and that's a great thing

kazzd58

Reaction score
It actually is a drug. Personally I could care less if people smoke weed but it’s banned by the league which is a problem
I’d love to see the league not suspend players but till that’s done it’s an issue

No its actually is not And thats facts not no hear say... do your research a little bit more before you talk like you know Ive done my research id advise you do yours..

Because thats a false statement period. not opinion

I dont debate facts.

BobSacamano

Reaction score
Guys...GUYS!

Mods, please move thread to medicinal zone. K, thanks.

Last edited:

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
I have a feeling a member or two will try debunking any statement saying inhaling any foreign substances can possibly harm the lungs--as if continually breathing in irritants cannot damage lung tissue... because the lungs are made up of unscratchable titanium steel! :p

Right.
For every occupation, there is an occupational lung disease. But the type, volume, and duration of exposure to all inhaled irritants will determine just how bad it gets. Smoking anything along with that exposure just multiplies the damage and pathology.

conner01

Reaction score
No its actually is not And thats facts not no hear say... do your research a little bit more before you talk like you know Ive done my research id advise you do yours..

Because thats a false statement period. not opinion

I dont debate facts.
What ever
THC, the active ingredient is a drug. Just because something comes from a plant doesn’t mean it’s not a drug
But the most important point, right or wrong is it’s banned by the league.whether it should be or not is another debate
I don’t think it should be but I don’t make the rules