Thinking about an Ipad... need some info

kapolani

Reaction score
Vtwin;3833993 said:
So the world is full of mindless sheep drawn to the shiny objects. What does that prove.

So, you don't buy shiny objects?!?!

You're drinking the Android kool-aid.

How funny.

At the end of the day (figuratively speaking of course) sales of Android devices will crush sales of the Iphone. No doubt about that whatsoever.

Like stated many times before. If the iPhone were to sell 'buy one get one free' there would be many, many more.

Sale numbers could be padded with a bunch of crap products do you not agree?

Much more? Really.

Like what?

How about you tell me what an Android phone can do that an iPhone can't, since you're adamant about saying it's only a 'shiny' object.

kapolani

Reaction score
theogt;3834011 said:
Anti-Apple Argument: "YAY the iPhone isn't the most popular phone anymore!!!"

Rational Human: "Hey, look, the iPhone on Verizon sold out in two hours, crushing Verizon's previous launch numbers, eclipsing demand for any other phone in history."

Anti-Apple Argument: "Who cares if it's extremely popular!!!!!"

:cool:

:lmao2:

It's funny. If it's such a crap OS why are so many businesses starting to adopt the platform?

That's right... Fortune 500 companies are sheeples too.

:rolleyes:

Kangaroo

Reaction score
SkinsandTerps;3827615 said:
Not to de-rail here...But what does anyone need a full keyboard for on a phone ?

Phones started out big, then got smaller with the same features, stayed small with added stuff...now back to being big again for no reason.

Back to topic,

I don't have anything to add besides telling you to buy one that fits what you expect to use it for. A Notebook PC might be a better option depending.

I personally have zero use for an iPad.

Because I used my phone before to rdp into my workstation and fixed an issues it was a little painful but do able. Then managers send out big long winded emails that tell you nothing :D

Kangaroo

Reaction score
kapolani;3834018 said:
:lmao2:

It's funny. If it's such a crap OS why are so many businesses starting to adopt the platform?

That's right... Fortune 500 companies are sheeples too.

:rolleyes:

It has made some in roads but very little in roads into companies. We are already looking at other devices besides the Ipad. Slate and several other ones and they already have a lead over Apple because of OS.

kapolani

Reaction score
Kangaroo;3834044 said:
It has made some in roads but very little in roads into companies. We are already looking at other devices besides the Ipad. Slate and several other ones and they already have a lead over Apple because of OS.

Major fortune 500 companies have adopted it.

Goldman Sachs has dropped Blackberry and moved to IOS.

I call BS on the bolded part.

Links?

Kangaroo

Reaction score
kapolani;3834062 said:
Major fortune 500 companies have adopted it.

Goldman Sachs has dropped Blackberry and moved to IOS.

I call BS on the bolded part.

Links?

I said where I work where we have 8000 employees and Ipad is behind those for a reason. Please I do this for a living Apple does not interact with Active Directory very well and is a major infrastructure of most large Fortune 500 companies; it does not interface well on many network storage and sharing data between the different OS. Them dropping Blackberry is not a surprise Blackberry is struggling to keep up with all the oncoming changes Microsoft has now become on the table with this type of technology with their last phone release no it is not perfect but it is now in discussion where it was never before and as people said before no CIO has ever been fired for using Microsoft.

There are always exceptions Google has gone away from Microsoft totally not many people are following. Several other companies.

Yes a niche market fortune 500 companies have had apple in niche area including multimedia departments for while over 20 years.

I worked at places such as Exxon, BP and so fourth all of them had some Apple in niche areas so what your point. The Apple OS is what is holding it back not the device it just does not play well in most corporate infrastructure and it is not cheap to make it play nice.

kapolani

Reaction score
Kangaroo;3834073 said:
I said where I work where we have 8000 employees and Ipad is behind those for a reason. Please I do this for a living Apple does not interact with Active Directory very well and is a major infrastructure of most large Fortune 500 companies; it does not interface well on many network storage and sharing data between the different OS. Them dropping Blackberry is not a surprise Blackberry is struggling to keep up with all the oncoming changes Microsoft has now become on the table with this type of technology with their last phone release no it is not perfect but it is now in discussion where it was never before and as people said before no CIO has ever been fired for using Microsoft.

There are always exceptions Google has gone away from Microsoft totally not many people are following. Several other companies.

Yes a niche market fortune 500 companies have had apple in niche area including multimedia departments for while over 20 years.

I worked at places such as Exxon, BP and so fourth all of them had some Apple in niche areas so what your point. The Apple OS is what is holding it back not the device it just does not play well in most corporate infrastructure and it is not cheap to make it play nice.

I stopped reading when I saw Microsoft.

Apple is making headway into the corporate world because they are improving their interface with many storage applications. They haven't even tried to crack that market yet. Just wait until they start.

I do this for a living too.

**edit**

In the other thread you didn't even know that the Droid is a phone and that Android is the platform. It's amusing that you're trying to 'teach' me something...

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
kapolani;3834017 said:

You're drinking the Android kool-aid.

How funny.

How about you tell me what an Android phone can do that an iPhone can't, since you're adamant about saying it's only a 'shiny' object.

And you're drinking the Apple koolaide. Equally as funny.

I never claimed a Droid could do more then an Iphone.

However you are the one that said:
I can everything that an Android phone can do and much more.

Now back that statement up. What exactly is this "much more" that it can do?

:D

I'm waiting.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
kapolani;3834017 said:

Well I did black out all the chrome on my Harley...

You missed the point. Apple was the first. They have a huge marketing jumpstart and make a decent product. The masses of the uneducated automatically think IPHONE when they think of a smartphone.

That is what I meant by the shiny objects reference.

I'll try and dumb it down for you in the future.;)

kapolani

Reaction score
Vtwin;3834132 said:

You missed the point. Apple was the first. They have a huge marketing jumpstart and make a decent product. The masses of the uneducated automatically think IPHONE when they think of a smartphone.

That's what's funny. You thinking that only the uneducated think of iPhone.

Why don't you educate me and tell me why the Android platform is better.

Google up all the info you want.

I actually need you to make a pertinent argument because all you're doing is speaking nonsense. Read: uneducated opinions.

;)

kapolani

Reaction score
Vtwin;3834128 said:
And you're drinking the Apple koolaide. Equally as funny.

I never claimed a Droid could do more then an Iphone.

However you are the one that said:

Now back that statement up. What exactly is this "much more" that it can do?

:D

I'm waiting.

How about you back up why only 'the uneducated' think of the iPhone...

Temo

Reaction score
Android= OS
iPhone= Phone with proprietary OS

Apple beats all other smart phone manufacturers. They do not beat Android in the OS market.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Temo;3834149 said:
Android= OS
iPhone= Phone with proprietary OS

Apple beats all other smart phone manufacturers. They do not beat Android in the OS market.
Depends on what you mean by "beat" and how you define the OS market. Apple's OS ships on more than just the iPhone and if you include all devices for both operating systems, iOS would have higher sales volumes. If you're speaking just about phone OS's, then it beats it in terms of gross sales volume. But iOS still beats Android in terms of both sales revenue and profits. Not to mention, all of that sales revenue and profits goes back to Apple, whereas Google gets very, very little. If the question were which company's sales would you prefer to have, the obvious answer is Apple's -- and to me that's "beating" the competition.

Temo

Reaction score
How do you calculate iOS sales revenue and profits anyway? Apple doesn't license their OS to third parties, and it is essentially inseparable from the iPhone.

Saying that iOS is more profitable than Android, to me, is like saying iMacs are more profitable than Windows. It doesn't make sense.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Temo;3834220 said:
How do you calculate iOS sales revenue and profits anyway? Apple doesn't license their OS to third parties, and it is essentially inseparable from the iPhone.

Saying that iOS is more profitable than Android, to me, is like saying iMacs are more profitable than Windows. It doesn't make sense.
I'd think with the significant advantage that Apple has on the combined sales revenue and profit on both phone and OS, if you stripped away the phone component, the OS would win as well.

But this goes to the heart of my argument that comparing all phones with Android OS to just one phone with iOS is a pretty silly comparison.

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
Vtwin;3834132 said:

That is what I meant by the shiny objects reference.

Brilliance in branding. It's not an MP3 player to the masses, it's an iPod. It's not petroleum jelly to the masses it's Vaseline. Q-Tips, Coke, Pampers. Names that defined a product. That doesn't mean it's not a good product, but upfront the genius was in marketing.

Temo

Reaction score
theogt;3834371 said:
I'd think with the significant advantage that Apple has on the combined sales revenue and profit on both phone and OS, if you stripped away the phone component, the OS would win as well.

But this goes to the heart of my argument that comparing all phones with Android OS to just one phone with iOS is a pretty silly comparison.

I agree with your second point, and it goes directly against your first point.

I doubt Apple cares about Android proliferation. Apple wants to sell phones, Google wants to control as much of the mobile OS market as possible.

It's true that Google doesn't make much (if any) money off Android itself, but that's also been the philosophy they've used with many of their services (like GMail, which is enormously profitable for them now). Control the way people view information, and make money down the line.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Temo;3834631 said:
I agree with your second point, and it goes directly against your first point.

I doubt Apple cares about Android proliferation. Apple wants to sell phones, Google wants to control as much of the mobile OS market as possible.

It's true that Google doesn't make much (if any) money off Android itself, but that's also been the philosophy they've used with many of their services (like GMail, which is enormously profitable for them now). Control the way people view information, and make money down the line.
I don't think my second point really affects the first in any way. But I agree with your view of Google's business objective. Regardless, if we're discussing revenue and profitability of the OS (or the phone) itself, we have to, you know, actually discuss the revenue and profitability of the OS (or the phone) itself, and not some future tertiary benefits.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
kapolani;3834136 said:
That's what's funny. You thinking that only the uneducated think of iPhone.

Why don't you educate me and tell me why the Android platform is better.

Google up all the info you want.

I actually need you to make a pertinent argument because all you're doing is speaking nonsense. Read: uneducated opinions.

;)

So you got nothing.

LOL

Exactly what I thought. Empty words with nothing to back them up.

LOL

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
vta;3834504 said:
Brilliance in branding. It's not an MP3 player to the masses, it's an iPod. It's not petroleum jelly to the masses it's Vaseline. Q-Tips, Coke, Pampers. Names that defined a product. That doesn't mean it's not a good product, but upfront the genius was in marketing.

That's the point the koolaid drinker doesn't understand.

When a consumer who knows nothing about smartphones decides they want one they think IPHONE because of the brilliiant marketing.