This game made me appreciate Tony Romo more

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good. His "happy fun loving self" has led to nothing but unwanted attention. Maybe this is a wake up call for him that he actually understands, if that's possible.
Naw. He didnt even try to make a tackle on an interception. It's a bad thing. I hope he gets his enthusiasm back.

DejectedFan1996

Reaction score
Brother, I love Dandy as well.

Again, I like Romo. His superfans, however, are nuts, and have become even more unbearable since he's gone.

It's like none of his warts ever happened.

Same.

Be prepared for the unrealistic "if Romo was in he would have won the game" garbage posts that have already started.

Cowboyz88

Reaction score
At least we use logic. Not like old heads who use the "durrrr he won Superbowl so he is good" nonsense. Yes I forgot football is like tennis 1 on 1 sport lol.

Uh, no genius, they (Aikman or Staubach, take your pick) were good, because they were good.

The Superbowls and MVPs make them Hall of Famers.

Not my fault that you refuse to recognize the difference.

plymkr

Reaction score
Minus the 44-6 schilacking from the Eagles and the playoff game at Minnesota, I truly cant remember other games we were destroyed with Tony at the helm.
They were there. I am a huge Romo fan but these are the games that everyone would react to and say that Romo can't win. We got beat like this with Romo, especially those 8-8 seasons and everyone across America said it was Romo's fault. Romo couldn't play defense and block, just like Das doesn't play defense and block.

Everyone just had a bad day, Dak is the real deal, just like Romo was but if the whole team plays bad then there's nothing anyone can do.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
It is becoming very clear that Dak is basically an Alex Smith. I'm fine with that and I think we can win a SB with that. But you will be disappointed if you think he's something better.

But like with Smith, he couldn't do a thing until he had a great defense - 2011 49ers and recently with KC.

We're not getting anywhere with Dak until this is fixed. He won't consistently win shootouts - he relies on others too much. This is why if a great QB prospect is there when we pick, I wouldn't hesitate to take them. I don't see this defense being turned around any time soon - this is about 2-3 years away.

Cowfan75

Reaction score
It is becoming very clear that Dak is basically an Alex Smith. I'm fine with that and I think we can win a SB with that. But you will be disappointed if you think he's something better.

I'll take a Super Bowl win any possible way I can get it. He could even be Kerry Collins as long as we get that ring.

plymkr

Reaction score
They really weren't with how the Giants beat the 18-0 Pats, and TO being injured and a shell of himself. However, even with all that Romo threw what would have been the game winning pass with 30 seconds to go, but Crayton inexplicably quit on his route.
I'll hate Crayton as long as I live for that play and for the two other drops in that game.

toto1939

Reaction score
No disrespect to Dak, but being down by 21, I always knew we would climb, scratch our way into a game with Romo. That was just him. It was his identity. With Dak, it's more about control, accuracy, and not letting the defense dictate things. It's just not his game. I'm just saying..History will truly show just how underappreciated Romo was in his time in Dallas.
History will show Romo with ZERO Super Bowl wins, ZERO Conference Championships and just a small number of playoff game victories

okstateCowboy

Reaction score
But like with Smith, he couldn't do a thing until he had a great defense - 2011 49ers and recently with KC.

We're not getting anywhere with Dak until this is fixed. He won't consistently win shootouts - he relies on others too much. This is why if a great QB prospect is there when we pick, I wouldn't hesitate to take them. I don't see this defense being turned around any time soon - this is about 2-3 years away.

Exactly. The front office needs to step up and spend money on the D in free agency while this offensive line is still in its prime

DFWJC

Reaction score
We got blown out with Tony quite a few times as well.

This game reminded me of Romo.

This offense doesn't work as a dink-n-dunk offense. It didn't work when they tried to dink-n-dunk with Romo and it didn't work here with Dak dink-n-dunking.

It's an intermediate pass route offense with a run game to balance the offense out and help open up bigger plays. Going with 01, 10 personnel with 4 or 5 wide isn't going to produce long pass patterns or even intermediate pass patterns. It's quick hitting patterns. When we need a big play to get a quick score...we go to plays which are specifically not designed towards big plays.

This is why I doubt we'll ever even go to a SB with Garrett. He's too prone to being out-coached. And again...4th and 3 on the Denver 39 yard line...punt. Jones punts it into the end zone and we gained a whopping 19 yards of field advantage. That's just stupid football.

YR
No, in 135 starts, they only got beat by 25+ 3-4 times. A preposterously low number.

Having said that, Im not on the bash Dak train.
Still am with him, and very confident long term.

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Uh, no genius, they (Aikman or Staubach, take your pick) were good, because they were good.

Genius would they have made it to the Superbowl in the first place with some of the defenses we have had in the last decade? Use your brain

Romonater

Reaction score
My goodness, some of you are just awful. Some of you feel the need to belittle romo to appreciate dak. That clearly wasn't the point here

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score

Defense Avg Rank (points per game)
Playoff Seasons

Aikman 5th
Staubach 8th
Romo 13th

Non-Playoff Seasons
Staubach 10th
Aikman 19th
Romo 23rd

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
History will show Romo with ZERO Super Bowl wins, ZERO Conference Championships and just a small number of playoff game victories

Yes it will but it will also show the amount of records he holds. This is a team sport but unfortunately, the QB gets the brunt of the criticism :(

Tony was good enough to win a ring, it just never worked out. Danny White could have won one also. It takes a lot of luck to get there but Romo's teams always had something go wrong, whether it from Romo himself or some other unit/player.

Gameover

Reaction score
I'll do a backflip if he's Alex Smith

He might wash out by game 8 of this year, he might become a HOF way to early to define what he'll be.

I don't think his pass catchers are anywhere near elite

Zman5

Reaction score
I love Romo but I don't think Romo would have survived some of the hits Dak was taking today. The way our OL played, he probably would have been out by the end of the half.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Seemed like they knew the run wasn't working, so they tried to replace it with short passes against a defense that they knew was the best in the NFL against intermediate-to-deep passes in 2016 (51.3 rating allowed, league average was 85.5)

I don't really ask for much other than trying to get 20 carries a game out of our tailbacks. That's only 5 carries per quarter and in a normal game we are getting about 60-65 total plays. So even with 20 carries...that's like about 40% run to 60% pass.

At halftime we had 4 runs from EE.

They just abandoned the run, going back into old habits.

YR

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
I don't really ask for much other than trying to get 20 carries a game out of our tailbacks. That's only 5 carries per quarter and in a normal game we are getting about 60-65 total plays. So even with 20 carries...that's like about 40% run to 60% pass.

At halftime we had 4 runs from EE.

They just abandoned the run, going back into old habits.

YR
When 9 carries amount to 8 yards, coaches don't feel so confident about running it 11 more times.