This game made me appreciate Tony Romo more

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Uh, correction. Two GREAT QBs.

And please don't pretend that Romo had nothing to do with us not getting the ring.

I like Romo…I dislike all the irrational fans (mostly under the age of 30, no doubt) that act like he was perfect, when he was anything but. (And there are plenty)

Again, if you want the ideal of Cowboys QB greatness, it's #12 and #8.

I hate "old timers" who can't seem to understand the differences within eras. Staubach was "great" in his day playing in a new offensive scheme under a legendary coach. Aikman was a game manager who had 5 solid years in the league surrounded by good to hall of fame players.

Aikman from 2008 to 2013 would have been a bust on the Cowboys. Would have been more injured than Romo and had more concussions than Alex Smith has had in his career.

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Uh, correction. Two GREAT QBs.

And please don't pretend that Romo had nothing to do with us not getting the ring.

I like Romo…I dislike all the irrational fans (mostly under the age of 30, no doubt) that act like he was perfect, when he was anything but. (And there are plenty)

Again, if you want the ideal of Cowboys QB greatness, it's #12 and #8.

AGAIN if you want to see two qbs that had two of the best defenses in their league respectively look at #12 And #8

Cowboyz88

Reaction score
That's simply a myopic post in the ultimate team sport.

Don Meredith was 16 seconds away in one year and 50 seconds in another from two Super Bowls that he absolutely won.

You don't think Dan Marino is missed by the Dolphins? How about Dan Fouts or Boomer Esiason or Fran Tarkenton? Jim Kelly? Warren Moon?

It's just a poor fan take - you should be better than that.

Brother, I love Dandy as well.

Again, I like Romo. His superfans, however, are nuts, and have become even more unbearable since he's gone.

It's like none of his warts ever happened.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
Brother, I love Dandy as well.

Again, I like Romo. His superfans, however, are nuts, and have become even more unbearable since he's gone.

It's like none of his warts ever happened.

I respect your opinion - I just don't know what else to say.

We'll agree to disagree and hope like hell we win next week.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
We got blown out with Tony quite a few times as well.

This game reminded me of Romo.

This offense doesn't work as a dink-n-dunk offense. It didn't work when they tried to dink-n-dunk with Romo and it didn't work here with Dak dink-n-dunking.

It's an intermediate pass route offense with a run game to balance the offense out and help open up bigger plays. Going with 01, 10 personnel with 4 or 5 wide isn't going to produce long pass patterns or even intermediate pass patterns. It's quick hitting patterns. When we need a big play to get a quick score...we go to plays which are specifically not designed towards big plays.

This is why I doubt we'll ever even go to a SB with Garrett. He's too prone to being out-coached. And again...4th and 3 on the Denver 39 yard line...punt. Jones punts it into the end zone and we gained a whopping 19 yards of field advantage. That's just stupid football.

.YR
Seemed like they knew the run wasn't working, so they tried to replace it with short passes against a defense that they knew was the best in the NFL against intermediate-to-deep passes in 2016 (51.3 rating allowed, league average was 85.5)

Romotil45

Reaction score
Romo had those stinkers back in his earlier days before the oline was what it is now. Once 2014 got here we never saw any games from Romo that look anything like what we saw tonight. He would have ripped the Broncos alive for stacking the box the way they did. Dak can't make them pay for that he is dependent on Zeke

Sure he would have. I love Romo too and miss him but he's history time to move on in ten years Dak might be what Romo was in '14. Until then we need to hope for the best.

Gameover

Reaction score
Romo had those stinkers back in his earlier days before the oline was what it is now. Once 2014 got here we never saw any games from Romo that look anything like what we saw tonight. He would have ripped the Broncos alive for stacking the box the way they did. Dak can't make them pay for that he is dependent on Zeke
Thanksgiving 2015

Wasn't really good before he got injured at philly in 2015

But whatever you say

Cowboyz88

Reaction score
I hate "old timers" who can't seem to understand the differences within eras. Staubach was "great" in his day playing in a new offensive scheme under a legendary coach. Aikman was a game manager who had 5 solid years in the league surrounded by good to hall of fame players.

Aikman from 2008 to 2013 would have been a bust on the Cowboys. Would have been more injured than Romo and had more concussions than Alex Smith has had in his career.

Woulda, shoulda, coulda — it's all you "youngsters" have to defend your insanity for him.

dwreck27

Reaction score
I miss romos audibles because it was usually a better play

With dak and his audibles I cringe

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Thanksgiving 2015

Wasn't really good before he got injured at philly in 2015

But whatever you say

He rushed back and played with his collarbone not healed you could see in his face how much pain he was in and promptly finished off his collarbone. And we were winning when Romo went out at Philly. Troll away somewhere else

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Woulda, shoulda, coulda — it's all you "youngsters" have to defend your insanity for him.

At least we use logic. Not like old heads who use the "durrrr he won Superbowl so he is good" nonsense. Yes I forgot football is like tennis 1 on 1 sport lol.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
Seemed like they knew the run wasn't working, so they tried to replace it with short passes against a defense that they knew was the best in the NFL against intermediate-to-deep passes in 2016 (51.3 rating allowed, league average was 85.5)

Percy, Dak (Garrett, Linehan) HAS TO start stretching the field. Risk-averse is noble - but we'll die a slow death by it.

Even incomplete passes send a message. We are going to get figured out pretty quick if we don't.

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Not to mention, completely different eras. I don't even bring up Staubach anymore in any discussions. That era of football is so irrelevant to the game today it's not even worth discussing.

People stuck in the past and not using their brains to see what things were different in the "good old days"

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Percy, Dak (Garrett, Linehan) HAS TO start stretching the field. Risk-averse is noble - but we'll die a slow death by it.

Even incomplete passes send a message. We are going to get figured out pretty quick if we don't.
That was the strategy in the two losses to the Giants last year.

okstateCowboy

Reaction score
It is becoming very clear that Dak is basically an Alex Smith. I'm fine with that and I think we can win a SB with that. But you will be disappointed if you think he's something better.

aria

Reaction score
I was referring to the more the recent situation where the six game suspension was actually handed down and he appeared in the 5th circuit. He hasn't looked like his happy fun-loving self since - on or off the field.
Good. His "happy fun loving self" has led to nothing but unwanted attention. Maybe this is a wake up call for him that he actually understands, if that's possible.

mattjames2010

Reaction score

No, it's just understanding how the game was played. Comparing 70s football to the 21st Century football is just a ridiculous discussion to want to have. In many ways, football was still in an infancy - many of those players would have flubbed in today's NFL. It's a whole different ballgame with a lot of different physical requirements. QBs with a rating of 81 or even lower don't get it done now. Think Terry freakin' Bradshaw would do anything in this league today?

It's just a pointless discussion - and I don't even need to talk about Aikman. He was an often injured game manager surrounded by unbelievable talent. So much talent that backups sometimes came in and played at his level when he was on the sideline wondering where he was due to his 100th concussion.

The simple fact is, within this era, Romo never had a type of team Aikman had. Due to nostalgia, context is completely removed from these discussions and it goes nowhere.