This is why we believe in conspiracies

Chuck 54

Reaction score
So I knew the Giants had an all time blown game this past weekend so I wanted to rewatch the final 5 minutes. With 17 seconds and no timeouts, the Jets complete a pass down the middle of the field. Clock is running, Jets all run down to try and spike it, receiver HANDS THE BALL TO THE CENTER, who quickly gets down to snap the ball. Now the jets are lined up, center down in his squat, never takes his hand off the ball, the ref runs up and literally touches the ball and runs out of there, almost all in one motion, like he was playing tag with the ball. He never took the ball out of the center's grasp, never actuallyI
I think when it happened to us, the ref was just trying to do his job, but he was really late getting down the field and into the picture. In that case, I think it's like when the play clock is running out but the ref is holding you up allowing defensive substitutions....no penalty, stop and reset the clock. In our case against SF, the ref stops the clock the second we are ready, gets to the line, tells the clock guy to start the clock on his signal, backs out, and signals it ready to play, and we get the spiked snap and one more play. So much talk about that snafu, but come on, the odds of us scoring a TD on a final play were very slim.

In these other games since then, I'm guessing all refs have been updated on the best ways to follow the letter of the law but not be responsible for the game ending without another play. They live and learn just as we did, I hope.

kskboys

Reaction score
We’ve all seen refs change the outcome of games. The only question is who told them to do it.

Look at the Seahawk-Stealer Super Bowl. The fix was in. Bettis was getting a ring. Anyone want to try and deny that that Super Bowl was not fixed?

By the way, it is perfectly legal for the NFL to fix a game since it falls under ‘entertainment.’ One is not allowed to have inside information on the fix and then place bets.
The JAX/NE championship game in 17 was way worse. There was no way they were going to let a JAX/PHILLY super bowl happen.

kskboys

Reaction score
There’s a handful of plays/scenarios I use when arguing if the NFL is fixed or not. One of them is the Cowboys 49ers play at the end of the playoff game 2 years ago. Everything you said is true. To add to your point. On that play the ref FARTHEST away from Dak ran 15 yards, bumped into Dak, took the ball from him, set it down, then got out of the way, then blew the whistle.

I’m not 100% convinced the NFL is fixed but I’m not 100% convinced it’s not. There has been some very convincing moments that make me feel it is.
Not fixed, manipulated. They can't fix games, but they can manipulate w/ penalties, and they do.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
From the mouth of the king of the tin foil hat group. It’s just one of the many excuses used and they don’t understand that it makes them appear like idiots with every post.
Idiot would ring true if one was wrong.

I'm not the one who is wrong.

Look in the mirror...

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I thought what the ref did was really cool. Gave them a chance to spike the ball. Giants can't complain. Maybe the center spotted the ball perfectly, and all the ref had to do was confirm it by touching it. You don't have to lift it unless it wasn't in the right spot on the field. We all know the truth, but that's the ref's plausible deniability.
yep... really cool, until you watch what happened to the Cowboys and how long it took them to "Spot," the ball in that game.

kskboys

Reaction score
...lol I hear ya, man. But gotta remember the refs are prone to human error.

Officiating, I feel, is hard work. They probably are under duress to get right calls every time.

What I ask from them. JUST BE FAIR.
The ignored call in the NO/MINNY playoff game was not human error. That was the most obvious ignored call I've ever seen. The defender crashed into the receiver while the ball was in the air. There is no way that call was missed, it was ignored. That cannot be explained away by human error.

kskboys

Reaction score
......and that's a problem in my opinion. Either call the game, or don't, but you can't start choosing when you want to call a foul. So it wasn't holding for 3 and a half quarters, but suddenly it was on the final drive? How many times have we seen that BS?
Can't? They do.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
oh in the Arizona game this year,

I mean how much more clear do you need than that obvious pass interference call against Michael Gallup what she say on Michael Gallup that's picked up it literally couldn't have been more egregious it was the clear pass interference you already threw the flag why did you pick it up why in the world in front of the whole world did you pick it up that ball first in goal right there the interception probably never happens we probably win that game who knows but they got involved and then pick the damn flag up

if that's not a conspiracy it sure makes it look like one by being that bad at your jobs while the whole world is watching..
I didnt even think of that one. That was CLEAR PI on Arizona, flag thrown, and then for some reason picked up and play on. WTH was that all about?

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Maybe he felt the ball was spotted in the right place. He could have looked at the side ref who indicated the ball was correctly spotted. Maybe the NFL rule on this has changed, or doesn't specifically dictate that a ref has to pick up the ball and set it back down in that situation. Or maybe there was just a screw up - refs make mistakes too.

I don't know if any of that is accurate, but the point is there are very reasonable possibilities other than a conspiracy. Too many fans prefer, however, to believe whatever is most controversial and/or dramatic.
He didnt look at no side judge. He runs in and as hes running by swipes his hand on the ball, still held by the center and is out of there. And yes....any of those are plausible... and then you watch the Cowboys game and it makes you wonder. THATS the problem. Is we see thing sin one game that are totally different in Cowboys games.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
That's asking alot. The rules are too complex and the game moves too fast to expect the same every week from the refs. You don't even get that in a court of law.
obviously holding, PI... stuff like that is very subjective and its never going to be the same. But illegal huddle? The way refs handle spotting the ball when a team is trying to spike it at the end of the game... those should be the same.

kskboys

Reaction score
As for "conspiracies"... Most are nothing of the sort. Just human nature in operation.

I simply believe that those with massive money will do whatever they can to maximize their dollar. Ethical or not. It's not like most of them cared an ounce about ethics on their rise to the top, right? Same with people in power...those who run things. They have nothing but contempt for average folk. The elites don't give an ounce of thought to your happiness or even your survival. 98% of those who rise to big money or big power are 100% selfish. Psychos, really...many are actual sadists, laughing at me and you.

Funny how many are deceived into thinking those with power or wealth are some sort of parent. Trust this: if it gave them more money or power: they'd eat you alive. And they have endless marketing/manipulation money to convince you (or those around you) of anything they want.
Oooh,my. Now that is well said.

They live in a different world. We are ants to them w/ their magnifying glasses.

Praxit

Reaction score
The ignored call in the NO/MINNY playoff game was not human error. That was the most obvious ignored call I've ever seen. The defender crashed into the receiver while the ball was in the air. There is no way that call was missed, it was ignored. That cannot be explained away by human error.
....totally agree. That was atrocious blatant obvious call. They screwed up big time there.

The REF organization owed Miami a public apology.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Even if that's true, the very simple explanation could be that the ball was spotted incorrectly. In the case this weekend maybe the refs felt the ball was where it needed to be.
you clearly havent even gone back to watch the plays in question. In the jets game, that guy had no clue where it needed to be spotted. He ran down, swiped his hand and was out of there. He didnt look to the side judge.... and even if he did, it was happening so fast, there wa sno way to know if you spotted it in the right spot. He just took the centers word for it and said, snap it bruh, you good.

kskboys

Reaction score
Consistency is one of the pillars of a good organization. I see no consistency in any aspect of NFL Officiating. It is one of the worst performing divisions of any organization I can think of.
Unless you change your angle. NFL refs consistently make calls to keep games close, especially if they can make calls that produce an exciting ending. See NO/MINNY playoff game.

kskboys

Reaction score
....totally agree. That was atrocious blatant obvious call. They screwed up big time there.

The REF organization owed Miami a public apology.
Problem is, there's just no way they screwed up. They intentionally ignored the call. There's really no other way to look at it. Why? Best I can figure is that it made for an exciting ending. If the call was made as it should've been, the Aints get a 1st down, run the clock down to nothing, then kick that game winning FG. NFL wants excitemtent, and that's not as exciting as MINNY driving the field w/ a great play included.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
There are multiple plays like this every Sunday. The ref justs has to touch the ball to spot it. He does not have to pick it up, dust it off and then spot it. So the Jets play was legal.

The thing about the Cowboys play against the 49ers is that the ref was nowhere to be found after Dak slid. The ref knowing the situation should have been down their ready to spot the ball quickly which is what we see every week in every other close game like that. Also note that in the Cowboys game, the ref actually moves the ball back a foot or so to stop it. But he was coming from way beack behind the play. How could he have possibly known to move the ball back like that?

The reality though is the Cowboys needed a TD on the next play. The odds were slim and none they would get it.
Yep.... about as slim as the jets getting the ball with 27 seconds ball at about the 17 yard line, down a FG, no timeouts and have not moved the ball the entire half... yet there they were, lining up to kick a game tying FG with 1 second left.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Only the weak announce to the world that they lack self control and need to put people on ignore.

I'm unlikeable to you because I call out your emotional proclamations and watch you writhe in agony when it's proven different than what you say and you dance like Mikhail Baryshnikov instead of just saying "my bad" up to and including just outright lying.
Oh Mr. Dean Blandino I can assure you that your not trusted or liked around here.

aikemirv

Reaction score
It may not have been a deliberate attempt to change the outcome of the game but it doesn't matter. It may have just been the individual referee's level of adherence to the rules but this must be uniform across the league and apply equally to each group of referees.

Regardless of whether there was criminal intent, it can appear that way and when it does, the league, the teams and even the sport itself is diminished in terms of trust, enjoyment and relevance.

The reputation of the NFL has been severely damaged lately and I think the turning point was the league softening it's attitude towards the gambling industry. The consequences are that they cannot dismiss any claims of corruption among those involved in the sport on the field, especially the refs. Contradictions like the one expressed by the OP should automatically require investigation.
Exactly - "individual referee adherence to the rules"

Can't compare one game last year to the actions of one game this year.

However, I expect within game officials to be consistent