This notion that the players are "greedy" is nonsense

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Salary cap! Get it through you think head. You are talking apples to oranges.

Oh, don't be posting dirty stuff anymore, that is disgusting.
No not apples and oranges.

Why is it Cowboys are 30th in cash spend...up front money. Bonuses. Etc.

You really don't understand salary cap. Do you?
At least I have a thick head. You have none

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Their greed doesn’t matter.

Their value is what matters. Some players are awful value and Dak is one of those.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
No not apples and oranges.

Why is it Cowboys are 30th in cash spend...up front money. Bonuses. Etc.

You really don't understand salary cap. Do you?
At least I have a thick head. You have none
I know Economics, I studied both Major and Minor Economics and how money works. I had to in order to get my BS degree. So I have a little, I think.

LonnieElam

Reaction score
I agree with your post for the most part...but you are side-stepping some big issues, while also promoting below market rates.

Why are you side stepping talking about how much 'ideas' generate compared to the the amounts those who execute ideas make?

Be honest about it.

I think the main argument can be boiled down to a simple explanation. The inventor of the car, assuming all this is real, was blasted for making tons of money. The question is...in the long term....is an successful 'inventor' that propels standards of living for all worth being super rich while others struggle?

Ideas mean something....but how do you value them.

I just dont know if I have the same valuation of the amount of 'proprietorship' the owners in NFL think they should claim in the NFL vs NFL Players.
Just so you know, I read the first sentence, then glanced up and noticed your name is FanofJerry so I stopped and continued on with my life.

kskboys

Reaction score
I don’t know if greedy is the right term people use to criticize players. It’s not so much greed, but asking and holding out for more than what most see that they’re objectively worth, so in that sense they are seen as such and so are labeled with the pejorative. I don’t think anyone really cares that they’re trying to maximize their value because it’s in the millions of dollars and be compensated appropriately (the key word) in such a very profitable industry.
The huge majority of fans only care about salary of individual players as it pertains to the salary cap.

Maximizing your value is just using different terms to deny you're being greedy.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
It's awesome out here in my garage, playing my guitar,,,then the rain and wind came...gave me the message.
ABQ is a very nice city. I visited it on business back in 2011 and also on vacation passing by way back in 2003. Beautiful scenery with the surrounding mountains and beautiful sky.

kskboys

Reaction score
The players and owners are greedy, but there is nothing wrong with trying to make as much money as you can.
Depends on the perspective of the one making the judgment. If it's a fan, he will be against a player holding out for max dollars, as it keeps you from super bowl contention.

kskboys

Reaction score
No! Jerry caused this mess. He cant buy to a SB anymore.

It's the man with money...so far, no good. But he is rich, HOF.

If they get rid of the salary, JJ would try and buy his way with a team he could buy.
He never bought a super bowl.

coult44

Reaction score
I keep hearing about how Dak is greedy and Lamb is greedy and how the players need to do what's right, yadda yadda yadda. A NFL players career is extremely short and they hire agents to ensure they maximize their earning potential while they're still in their prime and able to perform at elite levels. Most of these guys don't come from much at all, and know they'll need to stack up everything they can to set themselves up and their families up for life after their career ends.

Owners are BILLIONAIRES. They're mainly older men with extremely deep pockets and no worries about what their future holds in terms of finances. If they don't have the ability to work the salary cap in their favor to keep the talent they have on the team and remain competitive, than the player is the last one to be blamed. NFL players have the worst players association, they don't have guaranteed contracts, they're at risk of CTE, and they're putting their bodies on the line every week to entertain the fans.

Jerry had all the time in the world to extend these guys and his priorities were completely out of whack . So while we want our Cowboys to remain competitive and we want our guys to sign, the only direction fingers should be pointing is at Jerry and his big face son. All this talk about "go out there and earn it, show up in the playoffs and you'll get your money..." that's not how it works. They work through training camp, meetings, practices, the regular season and hopefully the playoffs. They've earned their money and they WILL be paid their money. Supply and demand, just like any other industry. Now if you decide you no longer want to make a run at the super bowl and you're content scrapping the whole thing and starting over, you have that option. I think it's a loser's mentality but it's certainly an option. Either way though, it's not the players fault you can't get your financial affairs in order. The player has created their own value and deserves to be paid for it.
I agree, but the problem is the salary cap. The cap has forced fans to get upset at the players because the teams can’t get the best players and stay under the cap. If there were no salary cap, Cowboys fans would love Jerry and we would win championships all the time.

coult44

Reaction score
He never bought a super bowl.
He didn’t buy a superbowl, but he dang sure bought the best players in the league to give him the best chance of winning them. And guess what? I’m glad he did!!!

ArtClink

Reaction score
I keep hearing about how Dak is greedy and Lamb is greedy and how the players need to do what's right, yadda yadda yadda. A NFL players career is extremely short and they hire agents to ensure they maximize their earning potential while they're still in their prime and able to perform at elite levels. Most of these guys don't come from much at all, and know they'll need to stack up everything they can to set themselves up and their families up for life after their career ends.

Owners are BILLIONAIRES. They're mainly older men with extremely deep pockets and no worries about what their future holds in terms of finances. If they don't have the ability to work the salary cap in their favor to keep the talent they have on the team and remain competitive, than the player is the last one to be blamed. NFL players have the worst players association, they don't have guaranteed contracts, they're at risk of CTE, and they're putting their bodies on the line every week to entertain the fans.

Jerry had all the time in the world to extend these guys and his priorities were completely out of whack . So while we want our Cowboys to remain competitive and we want our guys to sign, the only direction fingers should be pointing is at Jerry and his big face son. All this talk about "go out there and earn it, show up in the playoffs and you'll get your money..." that's not how it works. They work through training camp, meetings, practices, the regular season and hopefully the playoffs. They've earned their money and they WILL be paid their money. Supply and demand, just like any other industry. Now if you decide you no longer want to make a run at the super bowl and you're content scrapping the whole thing and starting over, you have that option. I think it's a loser's mentality but it's certainly an option. Either way though, it's not the players fault you can't get your financial affairs in order. The player has created their own value and deserves to be paid for it.
Well said. Only an idiot would give a home time discount to a team whose last championship was 1995.

coult44

Reaction score
Ceedee Lamb has made $14M in his career so far and is set to make $18M this season. The man has already made enough money to create generational wealth for his family. He also has enough money that purchasing an insurance policy against injury shouldn't be an issue either if that is his primary concern.

There is plenty of money for these guys to make in their careers even if they were to take discounted rates. The players we really should be caring about is the bottom of the roster. So many players make peanuts compared to the guys at the top and these are the players who are screwed if they get injured. Those are the guys who truly have short careers in this league. Guys at the top looking to get paid max money doesnt make them bad people, but I do wish we would change the focus on who to root for in actually getting raises.
That’s the unions fault and the players fault for not making the union do better. If the players ever could stomach not playing for one entire year, gaurenteed contracts would be a thing!!!

kskboys

Reaction score
He didn’t buy a superbowl, but he dang sure bought the best players in the league to give him the best chance of winning them. And guess what? I’m glad he did!!!
No, he didn't. Name one single player he bought for the first 2 super bowls.

Haley: trade
Casillas: trade
Newton: trade

Did we even sign a FA for those first 2?

Everett: trade

coult44

Reaction score
No, he didn't. Name one single player he bought for the first 2 super bowls.

Haley: trade
Casillas: trade
Newton: trade

Did we even sign a FA for those first 2?

Everett: trade
Look at the team salary’s bro. The Boys salary was always much more than any other teams and it wasn’t close. Look at the Dodgers and the Oakland A’s now. That’s the same way we used to outspend the other teams.

coult44

Reaction score
It's greed when the players collude with one another to drive up the market. Its greed when player A makes $400,000 a year and his teammate player B makes $40 million a year all the while complaining about it. It's greed when a family of 4 in Ohio is struggling on $40,000 a year and a 22 yr old athlete making $25 million annually feels "disrespected". It's capitalism, its the market, its business....... whatever. It's still greed.
Is it greed that the owner of an electrical business makes 3 million per year, and the electricians who work for him make 80k but go on strike to make 100k?