This notion that the players are "greedy" is nonsense

FanofJerry

Reaction score
I just have to note that there is a hard salary cap. I don't think that people understand what that means. Player salaries as a percentage of revenue are fixed over the long term. Sure, you can spend more now and make up for it by spending less later but the cap is fixed.

All of those billionaires get their cut. If you want to root against them, root for the players in the next contract negotiation.

Outside of that, every player's salary comes out of OTHER player's salary. That's the issue. That's why people call them greedy.
They've been boxed in. Yes or No?

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
The players and owners are greedy, but there is nothing wrong with trying to make as much money as you can.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
If Dak was a 4 time super bowl champion like Mahomes I would pay him what he reportedly is demanding - a market setting, highest in NFL history contract. But the guy can't beat really good teams and disappears in the playoffs every damn year.

For him to demand a contract like that makes him what? GREEDY. It doesn't matter if you agree or not, that's just how it is.
Have you see what Kirk Cousins has made in his career? It’s hard to find a competent QB, much less Patrick Mahomes.

HonoluluCowboy

Reaction score
I keep hearing about how Dak is greedy and Lamb is greedy and how the players need to do what's right, yadda yadda yadda. A NFL players career is extremely short and they hire agents to ensure they maximize their earning potential while they're still in their prime and able to perform at elite levels. Most of these guys don't come from much at all, and know they'll need to stack up everything they can to set themselves up and their families up for life after their career ends.

Owners are BILLIONAIRES. They're mainly older men with extremely deep pockets and no worries about what their future holds in terms of finances. If they don't have the ability to work the salary cap in their favor to keep the talent they have on the team and remain competitive, than the player is the last one to be blamed. NFL players have the worst players association, they don't have guaranteed contracts, they're at risk of CTE, and they're putting their bodies on the line every week to entertain the fans.

Jerry had all the time in the world to extend these guys and his priorities were completely out of whack . So while we want our Cowboys to remain competitive and we want our guys to sign, the only direction fingers should be pointing is at Jerry and his big face son. All this talk about "go out there and earn it, show up in the playoffs and you'll get your money..." that's not how it works. They work through training camp, meetings, practices, the regular season and hopefully the playoffs. They've earned their money and they WILL be paid their money. Supply and demand, just like any other industry. Now if you decide you no longer want to make a run at the super bowl and you're content scrapping the whole thing and starting over, you have that option. I think it's a loser's mentality but it's certainly an option. Either way though, it's not the players fault you can't get your financial affairs in order. The player has created their own value and deserves to be paid for it.
Yes Dak is greedy , Dak has said as much out of his own mouth . Hired his own agent . And did not accept the Jones offer which had to be top $ . Mahomes and Brady are laughing at Dak

TLR : CHOKOTA IS GREEDY

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
how much the owners have is not really relevant. And if you get CTE no amount of money is going to help. If you worry about that, quit.
But yeah the word "greedy" can be applied at times if you think you need 80 million instead of 60 million for the rest of your life. Depends on what you do or how you affect others around you for that extra portion you hold for, but "greedy" is a word and it could apply to a player at times

darealvelle

Reaction score
I keep hearing about how Dak is greedy and Lamb is greedy and how the players need to do what's right, yadda yadda yadda. A NFL players career is extremely short and they hire agents to ensure they maximize their earning potential while they're still in their prime and able to perform at elite levels. Most of these guys don't come from much at all, and know they'll need to stack up everything they can to set themselves up and their families up for life after their career ends.

Owners are BILLIONAIRES. They're mainly older men with extremely deep pockets and no worries about what their future holds in terms of finances. If they don't have the ability to work the salary cap in their favor to keep the talent they have on the team and remain competitive, than the player is the last one to be blamed. NFL players have the worst players association, they don't have guaranteed contracts, they're at risk of CTE, and they're putting their bodies on the line every week to entertain the fans.

Jerry had all the time in the world to extend these guys and his priorities were completely out of whack . So while we want our Cowboys to remain competitive and we want our guys to sign, the only direction fingers should be pointing is at Jerry and his big face son. All this talk about "go out there and earn it, show up in the playoffs and you'll get your money..." that's not how it works. They work through training camp, meetings, practices, the regular season and hopefully the playoffs. They've earned their money and they WILL be paid their money. Supply and demand, just like any other industry. Now if you decide you no longer want to make a run at the super bowl and you're content scrapping the whole thing and starting over, you have that option. I think it's a loser's mentality but it's certainly an option. Either way though, it's not the players fault you can't get your financial affairs in order. The player has created their own value and deserves to be paid for it.
I agree 100%

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hey, Prescott is just looking for more than half a billion of career earnings to.... ~checks notes~.....take care of his family.

I mean, what if he has another kid? Diapers, formula, it adds up.

Hardline

Reaction score
Apples to Oranges. that's the beautiful thing about capitalism. Supply and demand. If there was a demand for your 80-85hr work weeks and the market for your services was $50million a year, you'd have every right to expect to be paid that because you'd know based on the market you could go elsewhere and get that. It's just business.
One person is worth what another person is willing to pay.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Would be more ok with this if the league would get rid of salary cap. I mean you could own a team that is worth trillions, but that would do absolutely no good if you are forced to pay your top three players >35% of salary cap then trying to keep the rest using the scraps that is left over.
I say either get rid of salary cap, go-to a more NBA style salary cap system, or set some sort of pay structure for positions and years kinda like they do with rookie contracts

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Yes.

They agreed to a contract that gives them 48% of league revenue. That's the box.

If you aren't happy with it or don't think its fair, that's fine. Root for the NFLPA in the next negotiation. Until then, the more a player makes the less his teammates will make.
If I were the rest of the team, I would tell them greedy QBs to go kick rocks since those QBs clearly only care about themselves when it comes to record-setting contract extensions.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Would be more ok with this if the league would get rid of salary cap. I mean you could own a team that is worth trillions, but that would do absolutely no good if you are forced to pay your top three players >35% of salary cap then trying to keep the rest using the scraps that is left over.
I say either get rid of salary cap, go-to a more NBA style salary cap system, or set some sort of pay structure for positions and years kinda like they do with rookie contracts
No! Jerry caused this mess. He cant buy to a SB anymore.

It's the man with money...so far, no good. But he is rich, HOF.

If they get rid of the salary, JJ would try and buy his way with a team he could buy.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
No! Jerry caused this mess. He cant buy to a SB anymore.

It's the man with money...so far, no good. But he is rich, HOF.

If they get rid of the salary, JJ would try and buy his way with a team he could buy.
Agreed, brother.

BTW, what ever happened to American Veteran or whatever his name was?

J_Allen

Reaction score
I mean...I get the revenue aspect....but it's still preventing rich owners from out biddling each other for Mahomes...surely surpassing Mahomes current contract.

It's a built in excuse to say we can only pay a player 60M per year...not 80M
The cost would simply be passed on to the fans. And it would be unfair for smaller Market teams like Seattle and Jacksonville to compete with the Cowboys, Patriots, and Chiefs.