This notion that the players are "greedy" is nonsense

FanofJerry

Reaction score
First Owners are BILLIONAIRES !! .........that has nothing to do with it,they have to work within the 255 mil cap, so how much $ jerry has is
irrelevant . Are they greedy jerks ? sure they are. But again nothing to do with players being greedy.
Some think that means since owners are greedy, it is ok for players to be greedy. And that is just a matter of opinion, I know 2 wrongs dont make a right.

Injuries, cte etc. that is why the job pays millions, and your all for dak getting 60 mil, but what about the other guys who are more
at risk to injurys and cte, that only get 1-5 mil a year ?? you dont care about them now do you ?

The more the stars get the less the non stars and low level players will get , and they all take the same risks and actually more risks.
who cares about them ?? no one.(except me I guess)

They havent earned any money yet, not future $ or new contract $. That is just in your misguided opinion.
The only opinion that matters is the jones boys, they will decide who gets what and it will be base soley on their opinion not facts etc.
Thats how it works.

I dont think dak and lamb have earned anything, except being traded lol. Just my opinion which is meaningless like everyone else's opinions.

The jones boys and the players will work it all out without the fans help lol, and they dont care what you or I think about it.
Our job is to wait and see what happens, then talk about it.
Please keep in mind that players have to hire agents, who are paid on commissions, to help them.

Its not just the player....there is an element of the agent being greedy here too.

In a reasonable World, an owner would notify the player that a contract was put forth to the agent, but...the World is weird when it comes to money. I would assume there are many cases where a player never knew an offer was put forth. Most likely where the agent wins and his secrecy is never exposed.

There are two people after money from the owners here because the owners cant be trusted. Dont just blame the player. Not that you were...Im just saying...

egn22

Reaction score
Except Bigtime players all came up SMALL vs GB. Let them prove it, they are all currently under contract. No one is asking them to work for free, they are all 100% under contract. As one of our famous players from yesteryear asked, What Do Contract Mean?!
it was actually "what do voluntary mean?" that was Darren Hambrick. Hilarious moment

rambo2

Reaction score
Why is this so funny? The fear of injury is always what the players use as justification for all this money. So realistically if they are so worried why not do something that is not so dangerous?
It's funny that guys like you complain when these guys put their health and life on the line and you love to watch them.

J_Allen

Reaction score
The owners might be billionaires, but there's a thing called the salary cap. When you want to take a large portion of the pie and not let others get as much then yes that is greedy.

SiCk_DiAbLo

Reaction score
I keep hearing about how Dak is greedy and Lamb is greedy and how the players need to do what's right, yadda yadda yadda. A NFL players career is extremely short and they hire agents to ensure they maximize their earning potential while they're still in their prime and able to perform at elite levels. Most of these guys don't come from much at all, and know they'll need to stack up everything they can to set themselves up and their families up for life after their career ends.

Owners are BILLIONAIRES. They're mainly older men with extremely deep pockets and no worries about what their future holds in terms of finances. If they don't have the ability to work the salary cap in their favor to keep the talent they have on the team and remain competitive, than the player is the last one to be blamed. NFL players have the worst players association, they don't have guaranteed contracts, they're at risk of CTE, and they're putting their bodies on the line every week to entertain the fans.

Jerry had all the time in the world to extend these guys and his priorities were completely out of whack . So while we want our Cowboys to remain competitive and we want our guys to sign, the only direction fingers should be pointing is at Jerry and his big face son. All this talk about "go out there and earn it, show up in the playoffs and you'll get your money..." that's not how it works. They work through training camp, meetings, practices, the regular season and hopefully the playoffs. They've earned their money and they WILL be paid their money. Supply and demand, just like any other industry. Now if you decide you no longer want to make a run at the super bowl and you're content scrapping the whole thing and starting over, you have that option. I think it's a loser's mentality but it's certainly an option. Either way though, it's not the players fault you can't get your financial affairs in order. The player has created their own value and deserves to be paid for it.
Sorry I forgot players can only play football, I'm sure they can start a business or whatever they wanna do...But thanks for reminding us football is all they know...So get the money now right?? Wish my job worked like that...

rags747

Reaction score
it was actually "what do voluntary mean?" that was Darren Hambrick. Hilarious moment
Yes I know exactly what Hambrick said but todays social media society totally allows for updated adaptations!

FanofJerry

Reaction score
The owners might be billionaires, but there's a thing called the salary cap. When you want to take a large portion of the pie and not let others get as much then yes that is greedy.
The salary cap...the restriction that allows the money holders to shame players for being greedy

FanofJerry

Reaction score
That's not why it exists but nice try.
I mean...I get the revenue aspect....but it's still preventing rich owners from out biddling each other for Mahomes...surely surpassing Mahomes current contract.

It's a built in excuse to say we can only pay a player 60M per year...not 80M

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
When are people going to wrap their heads around this is NOT how sports contracts work, at all. Your contract is not purely based on playoff success. It is based on market value. Jordan Love has had one playoff win and GB broke the bank for him. Explain that. Stafford got huge deals before he came even close to winning. Same as Megatron. Justin Jefferson has never sniffed a playoff win and got a huge deal. Parsons is going to be expecting a huge deal and is a dud at the end of every season and the playoffs.

Doesn't mean they are greedy. Them and their agent are only maximizing their earning potential. If even one single team is willing to pay, then that is their worth. People are fooling themselves if they think another team is not going to swoop in and sign Dak to a big deal if Dallas lets him walk.

Players make peanuts compared to what the owners bring in on a yearly basis. Owners have zero risk. NFL prints its own money and owners are guaranteed to never lose money, they leverage any portion of stadiums being built that the citizens don't pay for. Players are absorbing all the risk and serious health consequences, both mentally and physically playing this violent game. A player can be cut at any time. You better believe these players want every red cent than can get from these greedy owners. These owners have the masses brainwashed so much that these players are just greedy and the fans turn on the players but very rarely on the owners. They want their players to take massive paycuts to try and win a title. For only their own personal benefit of seeing their team win.

NFL players have an extremely small window to earn. Good for them for not bending over to these owners.

Preach it.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
I mean...I get the revenue aspect....but it's still preventing rich owners from out biddling each other for Mahomes...surely surpassing Mahomes current contract.

It's a built in excuse to say we can only pay a player 60M per year...not 80M
It's also a mechanism to suggest a player is selfish compared to his teammates.

It's a built in excuse to allow below market wages.

The player is the person at fault.

LonnieElam

Reaction score
Hard disagree. The owners of huge companies will always be super rich. That doesn't mean package handlers that load boxes at UPS should be making a million a year. These players are making more money than they know what to do with. There's literally nothing you can do with 50 million that you can't do with 40 million (both are way too much for playing football anyways). Dak has made over 150 million dollars, so yes he is absolutely being greedy. Don't @ me.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
. Would you be greedy and get what you can when the iron is hot, or be an idiot and give the billionaire owners a break?
Bingo! ANYONE who says they would not demand as much as the market would pay them is lying. There is no way in hell we can what it is like to be in their shoes from a computer. I don't blame them one bit.......

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Hard disagree. The owners of huge companies will always be super rich. That doesn't mean package handlers that load boxes at UPS should be making a million a year. These players are making more money than they know what to do with. There's literally nothing you can do with 50 million that you can't do with 40 million (both are way too much for playing football anyways). Dak has made over 150 million dollars, so yes he is absolutely being greedy. Don't @ me.
I agree with your post for the most part...but you are side-stepping some big issues, while also promoting below market rates.

Why are you side stepping talking about how much 'ideas' generate compared to the the amounts those who execute ideas make?

Be honest about it.

I think the main argument can be boiled down to a simple explanation. The inventor of the car, assuming all this is real, was blasted for making tons of money. The question is...in the long term....is an successful 'inventor' that propels standards of living for all worth being super rich while others struggle?

Ideas mean something....but how do you value them.

I just dont know if I have the same valuation of the amount of 'proprietorship' the owners in NFL think they should claim in the NFL vs NFL Players.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
I just have to note that there is a hard salary cap. I don't think that people understand what that means. Player salaries as a percentage of revenue are fixed over the long term. Sure, you can spend more now and make up for it by spending less later but the cap is fixed.

All of those billionaires get their cut. If you want to root against them, root for the players in the next contract negotiation.

Outside of that, every player's salary comes out of OTHER player's salary. That's the issue. That's why people call them greedy.

kskboys

Reaction score
I keep hearing about how Dak is greedy and Lamb is greedy and how the players need to do what's right, yadda yadda yadda. A NFL players career is extremely short and they hire agents to ensure they maximize their earning potential while they're still in their prime and able to perform at elite levels. Most of these guys don't come from much at all, and know they'll need to stack up everything they can to set themselves up and their families up for life after their career ends.

Owners are BILLIONAIRES. They're mainly older men with extremely deep pockets and no worries about what their future holds in terms of finances. If they don't have the ability to work the salary cap in their favor to keep the talent they have on the team and remain competitive, than the player is the last one to be blamed. NFL players have the worst players association, they don't have guaranteed contracts, they're at risk of CTE, and they're putting their bodies on the line every week to entertain the fans.

Jerry had all the time in the world to extend these guys and his priorities were completely out of whack . So while we want our Cowboys to remain competitive and we want our guys to sign, the only direction fingers should be pointing is at Jerry and his big face son. All this talk about "go out there and earn it, show up in the playoffs and you'll get your money..." that's not how it works. They work through training camp, meetings, practices, the regular season and hopefully the playoffs. They've earned their money and they WILL be paid their money. Supply and demand, just like any other industry. Now if you decide you no longer want to make a run at the super bowl and you're content scrapping the whole thing and starting over, you have that option. I think it's a loser's mentality but it's certainly an option. Either way though, it's not the players fault you can't get your financial affairs in order. The player has created their own value and deserves to be paid for it.
No it's not.

This discussion has zero to do w/ how much the owners are worth. Sure, if they were paying them peanuts that would be relevant. But, they're not, so it's not. Try again.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
I don’t know if greedy is the right term people use to criticize players. It’s not so much greed, but asking and holding out for more than what most see that they’re objectively worth, so in that sense they are seen as such and so are labeled with the pejorative. I don’t think anyone really cares that they’re trying to maximize their value because it’s in the millions of dollars and be compensated appropriately (the key word) in such a very profitable industry.

ghst187

Reaction score
It’s not that anyone cares about those poor billionaires bank accounts, it’s a matter of salary cap spending and giving one player 30% of it and another two 25% of it doesn’t leave much room to fill out a roster with decent players. Giving huge second contracts hasn’t exactly been a sure thing for us either….. Diggs….injury
Elliott….fell off a cliff…
Jerry and Stephen almost couldn’t possibly mismanage the contracts any worse than they have and based on what we hear….what Dak, Ceedee, and Parsons want paid…they aren’t worth it.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If this was a team that had a winning tradition and was known for using free agency to add key pieces, I might expect the players to be a little more flexible to maintain that success. We know neither of these things are true so they should ask for every penny possible.