RELEASED Thornton released

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
the amount of misses on defensive players for this current front office are staggering.

They seriously need to find someone who can identify talent or they need to switch the scheme but that won't happen after building the roster around this scheme for 3 seasons.

Its really kind of pathetic how much they have been wrong on defensive talent. This is andy reid scouting wr level bad.

Carson

Reaction score
the amount of misses on defensive players for this current front office are staggering.

They seriously need to find someone who can identify talent or they need to switch the scheme but that won't happen after building the roster around this scheme for 3 seasons.

Its really kind of pathetic how much they have been wrong on defensive talent. This is andy reid scouting wr level bad.

I do agree with you 100%!

Well, in their defense, we haven't been big spenders on defense the past few years.

Our big signings were Thornton, Nolan Carroll, Benson Mayowa, Greg Hardy to name a few.

We can't continue to shop in the bargain bin and expect pro bowl players.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Where are all the fans that criticize the GM all the time for holding on to an unproductive player? Are you going to show up and give due props?
I seems that getting paid caused him to get lazy.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

Well, in their defense, we haven't been big spenders on defense the past few years.

Our big signings were Thornton, Nolan Carroll, Benson Mayowa, Greg Hardy to name a few.

Post of the day......:clap:

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score

its not about money its about evaluation. They could have payed brian orakpo what they used on hardy and he has been better than anyone we have the past two years in Tennessee. The decisions they have made on defense in the draft are theirs to own, they took risks and they have all failed.

its this damn defensive scheme. You need a super specific type of defensive end and they are obsessed with the 3 technique tackle which is also difficult to find. Bill Parcells told Jerry that in the modern nfl it is so hard to find Defensive ends for the 43 we always played that it is better to be 34 because of the different types of athletes that can help you. We are seeing this now just like before parcells got here and finding ends has become impossible again.

now having said that the patriots dont have a single pass rusher on their team and they have played a lot of four man fronts but they have the greatest defensive coach ever so they figure it out.

anyway. Its like they can't miss on offensive talent and can hit on defensive talent.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score

Man theebs, i agree with you 100%. I had guys on this board get at me saying the problem with the defense was/is investment rather than missing on players :facepalm:

Prepare to be quoted and told that this defense isnt bad and we were top 5 in scoring last year, blah blah blah

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Man theebs, i agree with you 100%. I had guys on this board get at me saying the problem with the defense was/is investment rather than missing on players :facepalm:

you are right. They have spent a fortune in draft resources and used free agency a little when they have had the opportunity to and have missed.

Hopefully this years draft and these recent additions will swing this the other way and we start to see a defense being put together that can really improve.

Zordon

Reaction score
its not about money its about evaluation. They could have payed brian orakpo what they used on hardy and he has been better than anyone we have the past two years in Tennessee. The decisions they have made on defense in the draft are theirs to own, they took risks and they have all failed.

its this damn defensive scheme. You need a super specific type of defensive end and they are obsessed with the 3 technique tackle which is also difficult to find. Bill Parcells told Jerry that in the modern nfl it is so hard to find Defensive ends for the 43 we always played that it is better to be 34 because of the different types of athletes that can help you. We are seeing this now just like before parcells got here and finding ends has become impossible again.

now having said that the patriots dont have a single pass rusher on their team and they have played a lot of four man fronts but they have the greatest defensive coach ever so they figure it out.

anyway. Its like they can't miss on offensive talent and can hit on defensive talent.
That's funny you say that because I specifically remember a Jerry radio interview right after we switched to the 4-3 and Jerry giving one of his reasons for the switch was that it was easier to find players that fit a 4-3 rather than 3-4.

Everything about the switch just seemed like a panic move due to the failures of Rob Ryan.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
That's funny you say that because I specifically remember a Jerry radio interview right after we switched to the 4-3 and Jerry giving one of his reasons for the switch was that it was easier to find players that fit a 4-3 rather than 3-4.

Everything about the switch just seemed like a panic move due to the failures of Rob Ryan.

it absolutely was and that points out another flaw in the front office. Making bad decisions on defensive hires. Rob Ryan being hired was a travesty. Then to spend rescources like they did for players he wanted was even worse.

I still insist he was fired not for poor performance or the struggles of the defense but because of the way he handled himself at Cincy that day when he got the 15 yard penalty. I think that is why he was fired.

They could have hired todd bowles to run the 34 here and they didnt and he went to arizona and had a great season.

I hope they turn it around this year because I think the D line is better but its a bummer to watch these great offenses have their seasons torpedo'd because of all the poor defensive decisions.

Zordon

Reaction score
High expectations for this guy when we signed him. What a dissapointment he was
Very disappointing. I don't know why so many are so giddy. Thornton was a top run defender in Philly, then he comes here and tanks.

It's incredibly frustrating that we have the best oline in football for 3 years, an offense and field goal kicker that runs like a machine, yet have nothing to show for it because we can't get anything right on the defense. Incredibly frustrating....