Time is up to give Dak the benefit of the doubt

jnday

Reaction score
I agree with you actually, up until the point of ruining the team. They just need to get it over with. I would love for Dak to take 30 mil or less, but realistically, it is not happening at this point. I do think Dak is worth more than Goff or Wentz, and with his contract being up, it just needs to be done. Dak's worth is perceivable value, and not actually his worth. In other words, Dak is not a top 3 QB, but his value, based upon recently signed contracts, just goes up because the market is trending that way. I have no sympathy for this FO waiting to the point that they have, and now want sympathy from fans because Dak seems greedy. I have a problem with that. Overall, if you look at why we are here, and 25 years since our last superbowl, it is not too difficult to not blame our illustrious owner and his mishandling of the team.
I see overpaying an average QB ,that has to have quite a bit of talent around him to play decently , as a team-killing type of signing. Having salary cap limitations during the Romo years prevented Dallas from adding 3-4 FAs that could have easily pushed the team into Super Bowl contention. It seemed like Dallas was always a couple good players away. I don’t hide the fact that I hate the thought of Dak as the Cowboys’ starting QB, but I would be against Wentz or Goff being overplayed as well. There has been a stat floating around that says something about no team having won a Super Bowl when the QB is on these expensive second contracts. I have forgot the particulars, but I think you can understand my point.

jnday

Reaction score
I was expressing what I felt about his post, nothing more, nothing less. I don't have any control of another person's post, nor do I want to. But, like all of us, we respond when we don't agree to something, and I did not agree with their view. Especially stating Dak does not care about the team (franchise) and his teammates (how can he/she know that? An opinion, and I expressed what I thought. A differing opinion.). That was a bit much, in addition, when a player is in contract talks, just let the man be. He's doing him, and not taking into account what fans think.
I didn’t think that Dak was a greedy, selfish player that didn’t care about the team’s success, but his actions sure seems that way to a lot of us. Dak’s actions are the only thing that we have to judge his character , feelings and intentions. His recent actions or I guess you could say inaction, points to a player that wants $40 million a year and to be the highest paid QB in the league, even though he is not even in the top five or top ten at the QB position, depending on who you talk to. His actions certainly can be interpreted in a very negative way. He has made a few arrogant comments along the way as well.

bcavi

Reaction score
I see overpaying an average QB ,that has to have quite a bit of talent around him to play decently , as a team-killing type of signing. Having salary cap limitations during the Romo years prevented Dallas from adding 3-4 FAs that could have easily pushed the team into Super Bowl contention. It seemed like Dallas was always a couple good players away. I don’t hide the fact that I hate the thought of Dak as the Cowboys’ starting QB, but I would be against Wentz or Goff being overplayed as well. There has been a stat floating around that says something about no team having won a Super Bowl when the QB is on these expensive second contracts. I have forgot the particulars, but I think you can understand my point.

I think Dak is a good QB. I think he at least has shown he can utilize the weapons around him, which is a good thing. He has also improved over the course of his career. Wins and losses are the name of the game, so with that being said, how much last year was on Dak, the coaches, defense, special teams? ST was the worst out of all this I think. We'll have to wait and see if MM and this coaching staff can improve what was clearly (or not so much) broken last year, and we all have our thoughts, but truly don't know what it was. All we can hope for is that they'll improve, and if not, MM can diagnose the issue and address it....immediately, whether it is Dak or anyone else.

bcavi

Reaction score
I didn’t think that Dak was a greedy, selfish player that didn’t care about the team’s success, but his actions sure seems that way to a lot of us. Dak’s actions are the only thing that we have to judge his character , feelings and intentions. His recent actions or I guess you could say inaction, points to a player that wants $40 million a year and to be the highest paid QB in the league, even though he is not even in the top five or top ten at the QB position, depending on who you talk to. His actions certainly can be interpreted in a very negative way. He has made a few arrogant comments along the way as well.

I think Dak is following his agent's advice. Because this front office has caved into players demands recently, and not drawn a hard line, this is Dak and his agency's angle. If we agree or not, that is really not the point. It is bottom line.

Dak's comments don't bother me as much. The guy played out his contract, thinking he'd improve to get a bigger piece of the pie, and he did improve. We were still 8-8, but throwing for 4900 yards, compared to what he did previously, drove his price up despite the team's record. I respect him for that. So many outcomes could have taken place to make him look like he made the wrong decision, but he took that chance. We were still 8-8, but individual performances do count in this league whether people accept it or not.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, Dak, win the game in Philly with a bum throwing shoulder and a coaching staff that makes you pass 44 times and gives Zeke the ball 13 times. In what was never more than a two score game.

Not attacking you, just saying that Eagles game was lost by Jason Garrett and company.

LOL.....who will be the new Scapegoat when this Dak lead offense keeps laying eggs against good teams this coming season?

Vegas has Moore as the favorite by far!!

Hadenough

Reaction score
I hate when people think that just because its Daks turn to get a new contract he should be getting top money. Yes he deserves to be paid. I think Goff and Wentz were over paid but I believe both guys have a higher upside than Dak with their physical ability to throw the football. But their all very close at this point. You can group Cousins in there too. Realistically Dak is worth 27-28 mil range. He would never accept that but thats what I think he is worth. I still would rather go the route of drafting another QB than rather pay Dak 28 mil. He just lacks the consistency and accuracy. Dont let average be the enemy of trying to get better.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I hate when people think that just because its Daks turn to get a new contract he should be getting top money. Yes he deserves to be paid. I think Goff and Wentz were over paid but I believe both guys have a higher upside than Dak with their physical ability to throw the football. But their all very close at this point. You can group Cousins in there too. Realistically Dak is worth 27-28 mil range. He would never accept that but thats what I think he is worth. I still would rather go the route of drafting another QB than rather pay Dak 28 mil. He just lacks the consistency and accuracy. Dont let average be the enemy of trying to get better.
Would you resign him for $1 million a year?

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I refuse to answer for fear I will be accused of being a hater. LOL
Well I would hope you say no. You’ve complained about him while he was averaging that much over the past 4 years that I hope you would at least remain consistent. Not sure why you are now trying to use money as an arguing point. You shouldn’t want him and any price. His value should be $0 to you.

Swagger

Reaction score

Good point.

It's very strange that in a sport where analytics play such a key part, that teams seem to ignore the data on overpaying quarterbacks- teams just do not win a Superbowl when doing so.

Not just aimed at the Cowboys but generally. Overpay for an average QB and you just cannot win a Superbowl!

Swagger

Reaction score
You will now see how it should be done in New England under the best, Bill Belichick.

He will adopt a policy that I and others on here have championed of playing a rookie QB and changing every 3-4 years unless he lands the next Tom Brady.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Our offense NEVER had issues scoring with ROMO.
But go ahead and dispute this as you are DAK-Blind and your agenda is pretty obvious!
You mean like when Romo could only lead us to 2 measly FGs in a win and in game against Philly in 2008 when he was throwing ducks up for grabs? Then got on the podium crying about “if this is the worst thing that happens to me I’ve lived a great life”?

How about when he only could lead the team to ONE field goal the following year against Minnesota. He was a dear in the headlights, turnover machine that game.

Oh and you can check out the craptastic performances he had in 2011 and 2012 week 17 games on NFL League Pass. I can’t believe I actually I defended this loser. He was awful.

Last edited:

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I hear you. One thing I've realized...today's players are all about the money. It's rare to see one who is willing to take less to help the team.
Yeah and the owners are about helping the poor. :rolleyes:The players need to go about getting every cent they can get. Dak, Clowney, Henry, etc... Should not play unless they get top dollar.:eek:

Swagger

Reaction score
The issue with paying Prescott circa $40 million is that the offense ran best of all when he was just managing the game and not turning over the ball like in 2016. But that isn't worth $35-40 million, we could easily draft a rookie in the first or second round to do the same role and provide the same production. The past few years Brees has been asked to do the same and Romo did the same towards the end - managed the game but unlike Prescott, when needed they were actually able to win games. Romo winning in Seattle when they had an elite defense and nobody won there is an example, and I recall that he overcame a special teams blunder as well. Loads of examples for both players.

It's a bit of a catch 22 - Prescott is at his best when just managing a game, he is careful with the ball, does not turn it over as he doesn't attempt many throws into tight windows. He can extend the play via the RPO but that isn't worth what he wants to be paid.

On average we want him throwing for about 220-250 yards a game.

Regardless, he will be signed for $35-$40 million a season but the reality is that we need to take the ball out of his hands and put it into Elliotts.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
You mean like when Romo could only lead us to 2 measly FGs in a win and in game against Philly in 2008 when he was throwing ducks up for grabs? Then got on the podium crying about “if this is the worst thing that happens to me I’ve lived a great life”?

How about when he only could lead the team to ONE field goal the following year against Minnesota. He was a dear in the headlights, turnover machine that game.

Oh and you can check out the craptastic performances he had in 2011 and 2012 week 17 games on NFL League Pass. I can’t believe I actually I defended this loser. He was awful.
And now Romo is the Hero of the trolls.