Time to discussing Tanking

robbieruff

Reaction score
We are 2-3, and 9 teams have a worst record.
May be it is a little early to discuss tanking, but we are getting darn close (perhaps at 2-4 or 3-4).

Why try for a 'winning' record when losing a few more would get a much better draft pick.

With many QBs expected to go early, we could scoop up the Arden Key (DE) or another blue-chip defensive player in the 1st round. Then perhaps pick up a RT (Collins back to LT) or a LG in the early 2nd round.

Alternatively pick up a LT and move TSmith to RT if he is really declining.

Things to do could include tank, play youngsters and protect Dak.
Hey...anything to bring about change on this team where it's needed most: the coaching staff...should have blown that part of the team up instead of just the secondary.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Hey...anything to bring about change on this team where it's needed most: the coaching staff...should have blown that part of the team up instead of just the secondary.

coaching staff AFTER the season.
need the current coaches to be the magnificent tank commanders that they are

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
I wouldn't throw in the towel for the season yet. Lets see what this picture looks like after week 10 is in the books. The NFL is very fluid in this current era, injuries arrests you name it.

I want to see the Cowboys in the playoffs at the end of this season. Some of the players on the Cowboys need more playoff experience.

Eagles look like their going to run away with it in the NFCE, but that doesn't mean you give it to them for free, you go out there you play the games and you try to make the opponent pay the toll even if they are going to beat you by 21 points or so.

In a scenario where a team is 1-7 and that team doesn't have a QB and the QB coming out of college is the clear cut #1 pick, a once in a decade type player, then i might be on board for a tanking.

Tanking would send such a bad message to the Cowboys & NFL players. To give up with a 2-3 record would be a curse on this teams future. Cowboy's org would be the laughing stock of sports, it would be worse then the Browns etc.

waldoputty

Reaction score
I wouldn't throw in the towel for the season yet. Lets see what this picture looks like after week 10 is in the books. The NFL is very fluid in this current era, injuries arrests you name it.

I want to see the Cowboys in the playoffs at the end of this season. Some of the players on the Cowboys need more playoff experience.

Eagles look like their going to run away with it in the NFCE, but that doesn't mean you give it to them for free, you go out there you play the games and you try to make the opponent pay the toll even if they are going to beat you by 21 points or so.

In a scenario where a team is 1-7 and that team doesn't have a QB and the QB coming out of college is the clear cut #1 pick, a once in a decade type player, then i might be on board for a tanking.

Tanking would send such a bad message to the Cowboys & NFL players. To give up with a 2-3 record would be a curse on this teams future. Cowboy's org would be the laughing stock of sports, it would be worse then the Browns etc.

who care about the irrelevant eagles.
what matters is what happens to the cowboys.
if you are not a contender, make the necessary moves to become a contender.
you need a top draft position to nail the top defenders at the top of the 1st round and a very good defender at the top of the 2nd round and 3rd round.
this year there are ~5 QBs and a RB that would likely go top 10.
a few OTs are also possible.
so the giants, SF and browns will likely take QB or offense players.

there does not appear be many top defenders so the higher the better.
there are couple safeties and may be 1-2 DL.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
who care about the irrelevant eagles.
what matters is what happens to the cowboys.
if you are not a contender, make the necessary moves to become a contender.
you need a top draft position to nail the top defenders at the top of the 1st round and a very good defender at the top of the 2nd round and 3rd round.
this year there are ~5 QBs and a RB that would likely go top 10.
a few OTs are also possible.
so the giants, SF and browns will likely take QB or offense players.

there does not appear be many top defenders so the higher the better.
there are couple safeties and may be 1-2 DL.
So tank a 2-3 season because of "There does not appear be many top defenders so the higher the better". I don't like that strategy, too risky.
:flagwave:

Verdict

Reaction score
We are a Switzer fumble and T. Will catch from being 4-1.

Lets wait a bit before we talk tank.

When it's time i'm always on team tank but right now is not the time.

Yeah I'm not opposed to super tanking when it is time but it's way too early for that.

Verdict

Reaction score
yes tanking is bad as a whole for the NFL.
but i am a fan of the cowboys, not the NFL.
each team would benefit if it tanks when not in serious contention.
in economics, this situation is called the prisoner's dilemma.
stay loyal to the group or defect and give away the group.
prisoners will defect as long as there is no long term consequences.
this is a well-known situation and teams are all individually better off defecting (tanking).

yes it is the cool calculated play rather than the rah-rah play.

there are many ways to tank - or better yet - stealth tank.
just trade away DLaw and any good players that are in the last year (or 2) of their contract that we probably would not resign.
that could include any progress stoppers like TWill also.
then play the young players and see who is worth keeping...

does this not sound familiar?
i thought so.

this team is not far off.
1-2 defensive stars and we are serious contenders.

well, may be more people are doing this and people just dont realize it.
people have different perspectives but it does not mean they are wrong and their opinions need to be 'suppressed'.
there are more than 1 way to skin a cat or look at life...

The Niners may be tanking by cutting Bowman.

Verdict

Reaction score
There is no guarantee that we pick a great player with that pick. Already have a QB. I'm getting too old to waste seasons like this. If we are like 2-11 or something like that I might understand it but there is a lot of season left.

The higher up you pick the better your chances are of getting a better player.

TheFinisher

Reaction score
This conference is wide open. Traditional powers ATL, SEA, and GB (now with Rodgers out) are all looking very beatable, and I'm not afraid of PHI, MIN or CAR.

Hopefully the defense has figured something out over the bye and some of the issues we've been having will resolve themselves (getting Sean Lee back will be a big boost against the run). We may not be able to lean on the defense, but if they can get back to being a unit that gets just enough stops to let our offense play ball control we'll have a shot to win most weeks. The past two loses they've been a sieve, that obviously can't continue.

waldoputty

Reaction score
So tank a 2-3 season because of "There does not appear be many top defenders so the higher the better". I don't like that strategy, too risky.
:flagwave:

what is the risk?
losing out on a 9-7 one and out season?
big ******* deal

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
what is the risk?
losing out on a 9-7 one and out season?
big ******* deal
Your ideas are unstable at best. You go right on preaching it's your right, but its my right to think whatever i want about your words, and i'm not thinking anything good.
Have a nice day, i'm done with this thread because its a child's rant and nothing more.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Your ideas are unstable at best. You go right on preaching it's your right, but its my right to think whatever i want about your words, and i'm not thinking anything good.
Have a nice day, i'm done with this thread because its a child's rant and nothing more.
lol u said too risky but u cannot prove why.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Tanking involves an intentional action on our teams behalf. The Cowboys this season may just be a bottom feeder team because the offense can not overcome the defenses terribleness. We are playing a true bottom feeder team next so we'll find out how bad we are in San Francisco. This game shouldn't even be close.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
We are 2-3, and 9 teams have a worst record.
May be it is a little early to discuss tanking, but we are getting darn close (perhaps at 2-4 or 3-4).

Why try for a 'winning' record when losing a few more would get a much better draft pick.

With many QBs expected to go early, we could scoop up the Arden Key (DE) or another blue-chip defensive player in the 1st round. Then perhaps pick up a RT (Collins back to LT) or a LG in the early 2nd round.

Alternatively pick up a LT and move TSmith to RT if he is really declining.

Things to do could include tank, play youngsters and protect Dak.
SMH.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Well ... good, laddie. So what have you done with the excess time? My guess is you have

https://encrypted-tbn0.***NOT-ALLOWED***/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQPhOsReC3vqd2BNlztIU9D_G9Y_b2hyiD9cTJrCYb0lFcKMFvLEQ
English Jar Jar ........ Do you speak it?