Time to Rebuild?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blitzen

Reaction score
You can’t be serious. They haven’t been able to stop the run since Wade was here. They haven’t been able to run the ball for years. Yet blame it all on the QB. Ignorance personified.
You thought that the Cowboys holding SF to 12 points after 2022 and a slew of punts was because the run defense could not get it done? McCaffrey was going nowhere until way later in the game (10 carries for 35 yards). Dak gifted SF 6 points that game (and the defense kept it from being even worse). And that SF offense was every bit as potent as this years’ SF offense after Purdy took over. Dallas has not had an elite running game in awhile that’s true. The rushing defense has largely just been middle of the pack.

Are you seriously rationalizing that somehow Dak is showing himself as an MVP surrounded by misfits in these playoff games? You won’t hear me say that the defense has no blame in the game against GB. They were tragically bad. Dak was awful during the portion of the game that was contested (and that’s a trend in the first halves of most playoff games). All I am saying is that Dak is not showing himself to be future building material just because he can clobber the Washington’s of the league.

diamonddelts

Reaction score
You see what you can get for Dak. Minshew, Mayfield, Flacco and Lock are all FAs. Draft a QB and let one of the veteran QBs hold down the fort for a year. The cap space would be well worth it. Cousins is another option. All are cheaper and serviceable. Just my opinion.
COWBOYS fans crave mediocrity and retreads with every fiber of their being.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Teams have proven you can nearly completely rebuild in 2 seasons. That is with a full-time, intelligent and active GM though. We don't have that. But be honest here. It's not the 12 wins people are crying about. It's getting dominated in the playoffs because the players simply don't care. It's the culture of mediocrity the current regime has. To them, making the playoffs is enough. And it's fans thinking that's enough that allows that culture to flourish.

12 wins is good. But what good is 12 wins when you don't even show up to play post-season? Come on man, you were a coach. How would you handle the players and the rest of your staff if they came in and played like the Cowboys did 3 years in a row in the playoffs? They didn't play their butts off and just get beat. They just rolled over. That is a huge difference.
Teams can't rebuild quickly when they are over the cap. You can if you have money for FAs and when you are just a couple of players away. We have too many holes and wants. We can pay Dak the last year and see if he does better in big games or give Lance a shot. Then we may be able to start a rebuild in 2025

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You thought that the Cowboys holding SF to 12 points after 2022 and a slew of punts was because the run defense could not get it done? McCaffrey was going nowhere until way later in the game (10 carries for 35 yards). Dak gifted SF 6 points that game (and the defense kept it from being even worse). And that SF offense was every bit as potent as this years’ SF offense after Purdy took over. Dallas has not had an elite running game in awhile that’s true. The rushing defense has largely just been middle of the pack.

Are you seriously rationalizing that somehow Dak is showing himself as an MVP surrounded by misfits in these playoff games? You won’t hear me say that the defense has no blame in the game against GB. They were tragically bad. Dak was awful during the portion of the game that was contested (and that’s a trend in the first halves of most playoff games). All I am saying is that Dak is not showing himself to be future building material just because he can clobber the Washington’s of the league.
San Fran ran for 170 yards. Dallas 57. If you can’t stop the run and if you can’t run the ball, you’re going to lose against the better teams. You owe me a beer for the football lesson.

Blitzen

Reaction score
It is amazing how good,,,,,,,,,,,, QB's look when they have a clean pocket and time to throw the ball.
Not sure if you are referencing Dak here too. Dak had plenty of protection in that GB game until they got way behind in the second half and time started to play a factor.

Blitzen

Reaction score
San Fran ran for 170 yards. Dallas 57. If you can’t stop the run and if you can’t run the ball, you’re going to lose against the better teams. You owe me a beer for the football lesson.
I’m talking about the playoff game not the regular season game. I recognize the defense did not play as well this past season.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is logical to retool. A rebuild is not needed. However there's no chance of that happening. We will extend as many as we can and continue to relive the same season over and over.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Eye test? :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:
You only laugh because you are incapable of ever being able to see and make correct observations on your own.
You rely on stats and what everyone that supports your agenda agrees with.

Chasing6

Reaction score

Our game plan was also horrendous. We thought we were going to have success running the ball against GB and it was not the case. Significant part of why struggled on the first to drives.

Arkyvarminter

Reaction score
Dak is a deer in the headlights when the pressure is on. I'm sick of seeing him out there.....

Chasing6

Reaction score
Not sure if you are referencing Dak here too. Dak had plenty of protection in that GB game until they got way behind in the second half and time started to play a factor.
I am referencing any QB. If you are a QB in the NFL you are talented. Where it becomes difficult is properly reading the defense and getting the ball out in 3 seconds with some one in your face, to a WR who is supposed to be exactly on the same page, running his route at the right depth and cutting at the right angle.

If you have time to wait until someone is open, that is not very difficult at all for a NFL Caliber QB.

When you watch some highlights, I am not empresses when a QB makes a big play when the WR is open by 5 yards. Anyone can do that. It is impressive when a QB has success when margin of error comes in tight windows, under duress.

This is a sign of a good team. When the QB and Receiver can make plays when they are well covered.

Blitzen

Reaction score
Our game plan was also horrendous. We thought we were going to have success running the ball against GB and it was not the case. Significant part of why struggled on the first to drives.
They ran it a few times the first drive with pretty good results. 6 yards from Tony and an 18 yarder from Dak. The other two not good (1 and 2 yard carry). The incomplete pass play where Ceedee sat down in the zone pocket and Dak led him like he was going to just keep running was bad and ended the drive. The second drive was an incomplete pass followed by a 5 yard run from Lamb followed by the interception. Third drive Tony runs for 11 yards, then 7, then 1 yard, 3 pass plays, 6 yard run from Cooks, -1 yard from Tony, then Dak gets sacked after he bails when the first read was covered and does not throw the ball away either. The fourth drive was 6 straight pass plays with the sixth being the pick 6.

10 rushing plays with 6 of them at least 5 yards

Not exceptional running but not abysmal either. This narrative that the team could not run versus GB is false. They just got way behind and then it got uglier as the game went on. The passing game in the first half was atrocious and so was Dak-everyone should be able to admit that.

Chasing6

Reaction score
They ran it a few times the first drive with pretty good results. 6 yards from Tony and an 18 yarder from Dak. The other two not good (1 and 2 yard carry). The incomplete pass play where Ceedee sat down in the zone pocket and Dak led him like he was going to just keep running was bad and ended the drive. The second drive was an incomplete pass followed by a 5 yard run from Lamb followed by the interception. Third drive Tony runs for 11 yards, then 7, then 1 yard, 3 pass plays, 6 yard run from Cooks, -1 yard from Tony, then Dak gets sacked after he bails when the first read was covered and does not throw the ball away either. The fourth drive was 6 straight pass plays with the sixth being the pick 6.

10 rushing plays with 6 of them at least 5 yards

Not exceptional running but not abysmal either. This narrative that the team could not run versus GB is false. They just got way behind and then it got uglier as the game went on. The passing game in the first half was atrocious and so was Dak-everyone should be able to admit that.
If you can not get first down on 3rd and short you have a problem.

Blitzen

Reaction score
If you can not get first down on 3rd and short you have a problem.
Yeah, but they also did not attempt to run on 3rd and short either. They trusted Dak to get those more often than not. Some of that is because they did not trust the run game, but I think a big part is McCarthy’s actual game calling. He can say they are committed to running the ball, but he really likes throwing (go figure-West Coast offense coaching).

Chasing6

Reaction score
Yeah, but they also did not attempt to run on 3rd and short either. They trusted Dak to get those more often than not. Some of that is because they did not trust the run game, but I think a big part is McCarthy’s actual game calling. He can say they are committed to running the ball, but he really likes throwing (go figure-West Coast offense coaching).
Trusting Dak is the same as not trusting your running game on short yardage.

Status
Not open for further replies.