Time to seriously start considering possibility of Tunsil

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Maybe not. Other team know that you don't want him and just wait for Tunsil to drop more. Unless there's a team that desperately want to leapfrog another team. Not every team is run by JJ.

Tunsil is not the average OT. Teams looking for OL help would want to jump in front of the Ravens at 6 and Dallas is known to be open to making such a deal. The phone will definitely be ringing if Tunsil is available when Dallas is on the clock.

Reaction score
Many legitmately brilliant people do or have done drugs. MDMA is not crack and should be legal anyway. I'd sooner question someone taking legally prescribed OxyContin than one taking MDMA recreationally.

You go ahead and keep believing that.

Joey Bosa makes Albert Einstein look like Vince Young.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
Neil deGrasse Tyson isn't what Neil deGrasse Tyson thinks he is. His reputation in pop culture is infinitely higher than it is in Academic circles.

The guy is brilliant by any objective measure. I'm sure there are some with a better resumes who simply lack personality to be a pop icon. But the man is brilliant.

Kaiser

Reaction score
The guy is brilliant by any objective measure. I'm sure there are some with a better resumes who simply lack personality to be a pop icon. But the man is brilliant.

The guy sounds brilliant but he got booted from his first PhD program and hasn't published in 20 years. If you mention his name at places like Caltech you will get polite eye rolling in return.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
You go ahead and keep believing that.

Joey Bosa makes Albert Einstein look like Vince Young.

And you go on letting big pharma tell you what to think that dumb 20 year jock you don't want on your favorite football team.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
The guy sounds brilliant but he got booted from his first PhD program and hasn't published in 20 years. If you mention his name at places like Caltech you will get polite eye rolling in return.

I'm not doubting you. Maybe his status among the most brilliant minds in the world is exaggerated. But outside of that context, he's brilliant.

As for his first PhD program - not that getting booted from a PhD program means one is not brilliant - there's potentially more to that than him just getting booted.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
If he is so easily traded...then it'd be easy to find a partner to trade back with you.

And taking Bosa is somehow having a brain that doesn't function properly? Cool story.

Maybe you don't want to trade back or trade him. If he is a great OT, then replace Free and be set with all 1st round OL.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
Maybe you don't want to trade back or trade him. If he is a great OT, then replace Free and be set with all 1st round OL.

I disagree. RT doesn't have the positional value and isn't enough of a need to justify the investment.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I disagree. RT doesn't have the positional value and isn't enough of a need to justify the investment.

A tackle always has positional value. Today, the DL is a chess match. You put your best pass rusher against the weakest link on the OL. If that is your tackle, then you don't want trash out there. He is protecting your QB who *IS* the most valuable player on the field if he is a franchise QB.

It is also debatable whether anyone else in the draft is worth the 4th overall pick, yet you still have one.

Sydla

Reaction score
A tackle always has positional value. Today, the DL is a chess match. You put your best pass rusher against the weakest link on the OL. If that is your tackle, then you don't want trash out there. He is protecting your QB who *IS* the most valuable player on the field if he is a franchise QB.

It is also debatable whether anyone else in the draft is worth the 4th overall pick, yet you still have one.

First, let's not that Free wasn't bad or even average last year. He was actually pretty decent.

Second, they have two guys on the roster right now who one will likely be our RT in the near future - Green or Collins.

Third, the OL is already arguably the best OL in football with Free playing RT. For one to then use another first round pick on an OL, that player must take this OL to a whole new level. That's likely not going to happen with Tunsil. Not that he's not a great player but the fact is you really can't make this OL any more productive and good than they really are.

Therefore, as some have said, taking a 4th first round OL would be overkill and not getting true value in terms of improving the entire team.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score

The gap may be closing, but blindside protection is still much more valuable.

If we didn't have so much invested in the line already, I'd be more open to it. But I don't see a scenario in which we re-sign all 4 guys and field a balanced team. That's too much money invested in one unit, even assuming we are able to re-sign them all; and even assuming Tunsil doesn't leave to play LT elsewhere.

We have one of the very best, young lines in the league right now. We have solid depth and a potential replacement for Free on the roster already. I just don't think we can afford to invest so much at the spot. It doesn't make sense to me.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
First, let's not that Free wasn't bad or even average last year. He was actually pretty decent.
Decent isn't good enough to sit on your hands. If he isn't elite, you are always looking at improving. Therefore this is irrelevant.

Second, they have two guys on the roster right now who one will likely be our RT in the near future - Green or Collins.
lol, that's a HUGE assumption and as the rule goes. The first mistake in a failure is that someone made an assumption. Truth is binary, an assumption is stupidity.

Third, the OL is already arguably the best OL in football with Free playing RT. For one to then use another first round pick on an OL, that player must take this OL to a whole new level. That's likely not going to happen with Tunsil. Not that he's not a great player but the fact is you really can't make this OL any more productive and good than they really are.
The OL can definitely play better than it did last year. Anyhow, this too is irrelevant. If you can get better and the BPA can make you better. Then it's an easy decision. An obvious one. You take the BPA.
Tunsil will likely be far better than Free ever was. He is just a flat out better athlete.
Therefore, as some have said, taking a 4th first round OL would be overkill and not getting true value in terms of improving the entire team.

We have Martin. Would you pass on Larry Allen if he were in the draft because it would be overkill?

You take the BPA. You don't buy a Westinghouse TV when you can buy a 4k top-end Smart TV for the same price.

Sydla

Reaction score
I think people don't really understand the concept of BPA.