Time to seriously start considering possibility of Tunsil

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
Best Player Available. What's to not understand? Oh yeah, you have trouble with that concept.

You have Troy Aikman on the board, but because you have Romo, you would draft Bosa. :facepalm:

What if a kicker is BPA, one spot ahead of a DE, at one point in our draft? You'd draft the kicker, right?

If you were the Panthers, would you draft Cook if he's BPA on your board?

Sydla

Reaction score
Best Player Available. What's to not understand? Oh yeah, you have trouble with that concept.

You have Troy Aikman on the board, but because you have Romo, you would draft Bosa. :facepalm:

This is a priceless statement considering I have been one of the ones pounding the table to take a QB at 4 if Wentz or Goff is there. Oh, I have also been anti-Bosa as well.

Other than that, great point!

Reaction score
Need has to play a role when choosing players. Player 1 is a 9.0. Player 2 is 8.8. Player 1 plays a position you don't need. Player 2 plays a position you badly need.

Take Player 2.

Hardline

Reaction score
If Tunsil is there at #4 I use the entire clock waiting for the phone to ring with a jaw dropping trade offer. If i do not receive that offer I simply write Tunsil name on my draft card and as soon as the clock hits 1 minute until it expires I hand it to the commissioner.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
If Tunsil is there at #4 I use the entire clock waiting for the phone to ring with a jaw dropping trade offer. If i do not receive that offer I simply write Tunsil name on my draft card and as soon as the clock hits 1 minute until it expires I hand it to the commissioner.

And if an OT was at the top of your board in rounds 2 and 3? You'd do the same each time?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Chargers have a ton of resources allocated to Tackle already, they will more than likely address secondary or DL... They have huge issues there.

No they don't. They have one tackle with experience and he is old and injury prone. They have no front line talent. What they have is two top 50 picks at corner and FA money spent there and S.

BlueNSilver88

Throwing up the X
Reaction score
Just to add to the discussion, the best strategy, IMO, is a combination of BPA + need. You shouldn't just draft on BPA, or just draft on need, but what makes the most sense taking both into account.

Then, if the BPA is simply way above and beyond the next prospect you're considering (which would - for argument sake be a 'need') - if it's above and beyond better player, then I would take the BPA. But if the BPA is just so slightly a better 'player' than the 'need', then it makes sense to take player #2.

The draft - just like in real life- isn't just black or just white, there is a lot of grey. It is up to the front office to determine what overall makes the most sense for our football team.

Edit: I also forgot to touch on that position matters, for example, relative value of an elite pass rusher or QB compared to an elite RB, which is valued more in the NFL? This should be taken into account too. You don't want to draft a kicker in the first round even though he is the best player & even if he is 'above and beyond'.

Last edited:

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
No it's not. He's not as valuable to us at RT. After his first contract, we'd have to pay him like an LT or he'll leave to play (and be paid as) LT for someone else. Unless we plan on cutting Smith in 4-5 years, it just doesn't make sense. On top of the money, RT isn't a need. Free was solid last year, has a reasonable contract, and the team obviously saw something they liked in Chaz Green too.

He's trade bait, who simply isn't worth the #4 pick to us, despite the fact that he's very much worth the #1 to other teams.

You are talking 4 or 5 years down the road. A lot can happen in that time.

RS12

Reaction score
Time to seriously start considering possibility of Tunsil

Safest pick in the draft. Just dont see any scenario he ends up a Cowboy even though he could be there for the taking.

conner01

Reaction score
Jerruh said today that it would be very hard to consider Tunsil given what we have already committed to the OL. I pray he is there as I think there will be trade interest in him.

I think he is the only real trade option. I would bet if Goff or Ramsey is there we pick, but tunsil opens the door to a trade down and he is good enough to bring a nice price I think

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Miss-allocation of resources.

If the scouts have him as the best player in the draft, how do you pass on him?

That is what is called "window dressing" your board...........why even bother having scouts rank players if you are just going to ignore the board on draft day?

If they have no intention at all of drafting him, under any conditions, then they should take him off the board completely. Having guys on the board that you have no intention of drafting is just stupid. That is not how you put a draft board together.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
You are talking 4 or 5 years down the road. A lot can happen in that time.

You're right, but some forecasting is wise, imo. We have 2 All-Pros and another young stud to re-sign in the the next couple years - all on one unit - and all in addition to Smith. We have a lot of holes to fill if we're going to make a deep SB run in the next couple years - and I just don't see them being filled if we invest our biggest liquid asset outside of those needs.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
If the scouts have him as the best player in the draft, how do you pass on him?

That is what is called "window dressing" your board...........why even bother having scouts rank players if you are just going to ignore the board on draft day?

If they have no intention at all of drafting him, under any conditions, then they should take him off the board completely. Having guys on the board that you have no intention of drafting is just stupid. That is not how you put a draft board together.

Who suggested they shouldn't take him under any circumstances? That's different than suggesting he's not likely to be the best option at 4 with who projects to be there today.