Titanic tourist submersible goes missing with search under way

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Mythbusters did an episode where the simulated this. They used pig parts to make a meat man.

Here's the thing, I've seen some other comments where the pressure applied to the pig was 135 psi. The pressure that those guys would have felt would have been about 6,000 psi, if they were at Titanic's depth. They weren't but just to give a rough idea. Also, the pressure is so great that someone on reddit worked it out and the rapid condensing of the oxygen from the capsule would have heated the gas to roughly 1100+ degrees so in a moments notice the were both flattened and detonated before they even realize something had happened.

triplets_93

Reaction score
..thats an awful way to die. Poor guys, sheesh.
Former US Navy Captain David Marquet tells TalkTV that people should not expect to find any remains following the deaths aboard the Titan submersible. He warned that people underestimate the power of the sea, and speaking about the damage caused by an underwater implosion in the depths of the ocean he said: "I hate to say it but there's no bodies to recover. The implosion is so rapid." When they say catastrophic implosion, it is a instantaneous destruction of the vessel and an instantaneous death for everyone on board."

Hoofbite

Reaction score
He was "fully committed to safety, a diligent engineer, and really just wanted to preserve the oceans," his business partner is now saying (I'm paraphrasing).

I wouldn't be surprised if possible charges are coming against the remaining members of OceanGate, or he wouldn't be saying this obvious nonsense.

Carbon fiber.. that's what my bicycle is made from... lol. Look what that pressure does to a cup taken to those depths. Terrible advice from his attorney pal, through and through.

It was apparently also 5 inches thick and was never certified by any independent company, James Cameron said that material has no business going deep ocean diving. If anyone would know, it's probably him as he's been down to the deepest spot of the ocean floor which is about 3x as deep as where the Titanic is resting.

The owner of the company seems like a complete idiot and it's a shame 4 other people died along with him for his negligence. Read a story where someone on his team came to him with concern and he basically gave the guy 10 minutes to pack up his things and never return.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Former US Navy Captain David Marquet tells TalkTV that people should not expect to find any remains following the deaths aboard the Titan submersible. He warned that people underestimate the power of the sea, and speaking about the damage caused by an underwater implosion in the depths of the ocean he said: "I hate to say it but there's no bodies to recover. The implosion is so rapid." When they say catastrophic implosion, it is a instantaneous destruction of the vessel and an instantaneous death for everyone on board."

I just watched this video too. My guess is this were instantly turned into liquid and dissipated into the surrounding water. I hope they can find the composite material section so we can see how that looks. Not even sure they'll release pictures.

triplets_93

Reaction score
The first hint of a timeline came Thursday evening when a senior U.S. Navy official said that after the Titan was reported missing Sunday, the Navy went back and analyzed its acoustic data and found an “anomaly” that was consistent with an implosion or explosion in the general vicinity of where the vessel was operating when communications were lost. The official spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss a sensitive acoustic detection system.

The Navy official who spoke of the “anomaly” heard Sunday said the Navy passed on the information to the Coast Guard, which continued its search because the Navy did not consider the data to be definitive.

David Lochridge, OceanGate’s former director of marine operations, argued in 2018 that the method the company devised for ensuring the soundness of the hull — relying on acoustic monitoring that could detect cracks and pops as the hull strained under pressure — was inadequate and could “subject passengers to potential extreme danger in an experimental submersible.”

“This was problematic because this type of acoustic analysis would only show when a component is about to fail — often milliseconds before an implosion — and would not detect any existing flaws prior to putting pressure onto the hull,” Lochridge’s attorneys wrote in a wrongful termination claim.

https://apnews.com/article/missing-titanic-submersible-updates-93a59c3c1d48aee2feef46caca418fd1

Hoofbite

Reaction score

Looks like France heard something, too, because they were dialed in on a certain area used an ROV to locate the pieces that survived the implosion.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I just watched this video too. My guess is this were instantly turned into liquid and dissipated into the surrounding water. I hope they can find the composite material section so we can see how that looks. Not even sure they'll release pictures.
More than likely, incineration occurs first then everything inside the body collapses. This all happens in an instant(millisecond). I’m not real sure what remains but it isn’t much.

Flamma

Reaction score
It was apparently also 5 inches thick and was never certified by any independent company, James Cameron said that material has no business going deep ocean diving. If anyone would know, it's probably him as he's been down to the deepest spot of the ocean floor which is about 3x as deep as where the Titanic is resting.

The owner of the company seems like a complete idiot and it's a shame 4 other people died along with him for his negligence. Read a story where someone on his team came to him with concern and he basically gave the guy 10 minutes to pack up his things and never return.
Yeah, 5 inches of carbon fiber. I wonder how they calculated that? As opposed to 15 inches of carbon fiber. Don't they test this stuff out? I can understand a sub being experimental. But people shouldn't be part of that experiment. I'm just wondering how it was tested. Titan has made a trip or two before, right?

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Yeah, 5 inches of carbon fiber. I wonder how they calculated that? As opposed to 15 inches of carbon fiber. Don't they test this stuff out? I can understand a sub being experimental. But people shouldn't be part of that experiment. I'm just wondering how it was tested. Titan has made a trip or two before, right?
I've heard it made upwards of 4 or 5. But yeah, 5 inches doesn't seem like much for what amounts to a ton of glue.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I was actually relieved to hear that the sub imploded. They likely died before they even knew they were about to die. The thoughts I was having about them all being inside that cramped space for days waiting to die were disturbing.

Also, 500 men, women and children just drowned. Without so much as a blip on the radar and without a multi-national rescue attempt. That's disturbing too.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
I was actually relieved to hear that the sub imploded. They likely died before they even knew they were about to die. The thoughts I was having about them all being inside that cramped space for days waiting to die were disturbing.

Also, 500 men, women and children just drowned. Without so much as a blip on the radar and without a multi-national rescue attempt. That's disturbing too.
THANK YOU! I know we can't get political or social here, but this is insane. And sad. And very telling about what state humanity is in. (And always was, I don't think we're worse than anyone before us)

rags747

Reaction score
Just as an fyi the Airbus A350 and the Boeing 787 Dreamliner are made mostly of Carbon Fibre as well. Carbon Fibre is much stronger than steel, I believe 3X and about 70% lighter than steel. The test with these planes will be how the Carbon Fibre holds up under long term pressurization cycles. Carbon Fibre is much more expensive than steel but people love it for its light weight and strength.

I have a car that has a complete Carbon Fibre tub, Rigidity, Strength and Weight are beautiful but when involved in an accident the Carbon Fibre tends to shatter and rip usually causing the car to be totaled as its tough to determine how much of the tub has actually been stressed or damaged Plus there are not too many firms out there in the Carbon Fibre repair business.

Also the Titan made 6 dives to the Titanic in 21 and 7 dives to the Titanic in 22. Thats 13 heavy duty pressure cycles on that Carbon Fibre hull, exactly why I said that the airline industry is very interested to see how their planes hold up long term. At this point I think it’s undetermined.

Praxit

Reaction score

..did they evaporate? ..sheesh..

Praxit

Reaction score
Just as an fyi the Airbus A350 and the Boeing 787 Dreamliner are made mostly of Carbon Fibre as well. Carbon Fibre is much stronger than steel, I believe 3X and about 70% lighter than steel. The test with these planes will be how the Carbon Fibre holds up under long term pressurization cycles. Carbon Fibre is much more expensive than steel but people love it for its light weight and strength.

I have a car that has a complete Carbon Fibre tub, Rigidity, Strength and Weight are beautiful but when involved in an accident the Carbon Fibre tends to shatter and rip usually causing the car to be totaled as its tough to determine how much of the tub has actually been stressed or damaged Plus there are not too many firms out there in the Carbon Fibre repair business.

Also the Titan made 6 dives to the Titanic in 21 and 7 dives to the Titanic in 22. Thats 13 heavy duty pressure cycles on that Carbon Fibre hull, exactly why I said that the airline industry is very interested to see how their planes hold up long term. At this point I think it’s undetermined.
..does carbon fiber wear out? You know, like mileage on a car or your old T-shirt.

Creeper

Reaction score
Agree. Additionally experts in the field are finally criticizing the craft because of the lack of basic redundancy that should have been built into it.

it appears to me that we had a head strong CEO that prided himself on building it on a shoestring budget, (like the $30 dollar video controller that operates it) and more importantly wouldn’t allow ex-naval or ex military personnel to have a say in the project

he preferred young, cheap, inexperienced people to aid in the project……these are basically his own words if you read his comments…..he wanted “yes men”

what a shame…….it could have clearly been avoided and/ or rescued if basic additional safeguards were allowed.
I read he also claimed that Boeing and The University of Washington helped design the ship but they both deny that. Why lie about something like that?