Titanic tourist submersible goes missing with search under way

Creeper

Reaction score
This has to be one of the dumbest things humans have done in a long time. You can only open the hatch from the outside by removing like 17 bolts so even if they somehow regained the ability to surface they'd be screwed until the bolts are unscrewed, which at this time could be the difference between life and death. The thing is literally controlled by a 3rd party gaming console controller.

I've watched a few videos and the thing looks to have built by a grade schooler. They cut corners, bush-crafted a lot of pieces, and only focused on the main capsule. Their "toilet" is a piss jug you'd see in an emergency room. Not that I have any idea if you could do better, but there has to be a better option than pissing into an odd-shaped Gatorade bottle.

This is undoubtedly one of the worst ways to die. At best, they were crushed when the thing imploded due to pressure. That would be instant and there'd be no suffering. At worst, they're stuck on the bottom in an inescapable tube that is now filled with poop (and likely vomit) and every breath is getting harder and harder. I guess the only positive is they won't even know they are dying when it happens. They'll just fall asleep and that will be that.

Keep in mind there are people right now planning on sending a manned expedition to Mars. The ocean is bad but how about a 6 month trip to a planet with an atmosphere we cannot breath and constantly bathed in deadly radiation? If something goes wrong, there is no rescue mission possible. It is man's nature to do what has not been done before risking life and limb in the process.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Definitely not looking good. Just saw a news piece pop up that is claiming they're out of oxygen at this point anyway (assuming they're in one piece somewhere). Whether or not it was dumb to crawl into that "submersible" or not, I wouldn't wish that kind of demise on anybody. At the risk of sounding insensitive, you could only hope the submersible just imploded and they did not have to suffer.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Keep in mind there are people right now planning on sending a manned expedition to Mars. The ocean is bad but how about a 6 month trip to a planet with an atmosphere we cannot breath and constantly bathed in deadly radiation? If something goes wrong, there is no rescue mission possible. It is man's nature to do what has not been done before risking life and limb in the process.
Civilization as we know it literally wouldn't exist, without these brave, crazy and sometimes, 'so smart they're stupid' people testing the edges of possibility.

Even if the lesson ends up being, DON'T DO THIS.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Civilization as we know it literally wouldn't exist, without these brave, crazy and sometimes, 'so smart they're stupid' people testing the edges of possibility.

Even if the lesson ends up being, DON'T DO THIS.
Valid point.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
That's terrible! I've got claustrophobia and I'll have a panic attack on their behalf.
What a horrible way to die being trapped in a small submarine, slowly suffocating to death 2 1/2 miles deep in the ocean. You take your chances being an adventurer. I’m also claustrophobic. I don’t like elevators. The feeling of being trapped in a small confined space is unnerving.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Evidently the debris has been confirmed to be the sled and the rear cover of the Titan. Coast Guard has not confirmed yet, the person confirming this said that he has contacts within the search team and that is what they are confirming. The body of the sub has not been seen.
https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/c...field-near-titanic-search-missing-tourist-sub
Yep, still think they are going to come up at the last minute. Just my hunch. If they're not up by dark, I'd say it's over. If they found the external cover, the passenger portion shouldn't be too far away.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Definitely not looking good. Just saw a news piece pop up that is claiming they're out of oxygen at this point anyway (assuming they're in one piece somewhere). Whether or not it was dumb to crawl into that "submersible" or not, I wouldn't wish that kind of demise on anybody. At the risk of sounding insensitive, you could only hope the submersible just imploded and they did not have to suffer.
Actually, no. Not unless someone on board was hyperventilating and breathing heavily. If they mediate and relax, they can stretch the oxygen quite a bit. One of the guys in this clique was saying that the French pilot understands how to conserve the oxygen on board. My best guess is still PR stunt.. But I'mnot stuck on that. It could be a hundred other things.

Apparently, they are just getting there with Magellan right now anyway. So, if they know where they are, and I suspect they do, then the rescue, if there is one, should be in the next few hours. That's also when the oxygen is running out. We shall see, I guess. Hoping it turns out for the kid on board.. He's too young, and too naive to know better.

Last edited:

rags747

Reaction score
Yep, still think they are going to come up at the last minute. Just my hunch. If they're not up by dark, I'd say it's over. If they found the external cover, the passenger portion shouldn't be too far away.
The sled does not just detach itself by itself, think about it.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Just some trivia
The owner opted to not have any super experienced “50 year old white men” as captains because it was “less inspiring," and that's what the other companies that did this mostly had.
If Im not mistaken, the owner is on board
The French guy is an expert, though. He's been piloting subs for a long time. As far as that guy goes, he can stay down there. I don't mind him putting himself in danger. What I don't like is how he obviously misleads others. The Hamish guy also has minions that he's apparently brain-washed into believing he's some sort of higher being. Anyone else notice how brainwashed his blonde underling sounded? Almost like a cult member.

I get the idea that he's a trailblazer of sorts. And that may be true. I've been a proponent for searching the bottom of the ocean for a long time. Never understood why we don't explore there more, other than it's scary, as we're seeing now. What I have a problem with is knowing what he knows, and also bringing a kid along with him. Sure, you can stay safe in bed and safety is overrated, like he says. But the reward for risk he's taking with other people aboard his vessel is also overrated.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
The sled does not just detach itself by itself, think about it.
Yep, apparently, they're confirmed dead. I wonder if they knocked too hard and it imploded the vessel. Sad, actually. I feel terrible for the kid.

I wonder when the noises stopped or if what they were hearing ever was from the crew. Kind sucks. I was hoping they'd come up eventually. I'm a big dummy. If it was a PR stunt, which it probably wasn't, it didn't go as planned. I think they knew they were dead yesterday. The Coast Guard spokesperson snapped back at the reporter yesterday after he asked how much hope the family should have. "You need to be careful..." Like he knew something. Man, crazy story.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...ing-submersible-tourists-latest-b2360568.html

Last edited:

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I was hoping to see Stockton Rush held accountable in some form or fashion. I still feel like something about this whole thing was off. I wonder if they can recover anything at all from that ship that can give them any clue about what happened.. when, etc. Like, have they been gone since the day they launched the mission? Or did this recently happen after pressure changes, oxygen, etc? Anyone else think Stockton Rush seemed depressed or that something else was going on? Maybe it's just me. But it just didn't add up. Still can't put my finger on it.

Still hard to believe.

triplets_93

Reaction score
Yep, apparently, they're confirmed dead. I wonder if they knocked too hard and it imploded the vessel. Sad, actually. I feel terrible for the kid.

I wonder when the noises stopped or if what they were hearing ever was from the crew. Kind sucks. I was hoping they'd come up eventually. I'm a big dummy. If it was a PR stunt, which it probably wasn't, it didn't go as planned. I think they knew they were dead yesterday. The Coast Guard spokesperson snapped back at the reporter yesterday after he asked how much hope the family should have. "You need to be careful..." Like he knew something. Man, crazy story.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...ing-submersible-tourists-latest-b2360568.html
The officials said that after they put the sonar buoys in the water, that they picked no sound of an implosion. So I assume the implosion happened when communication with the sub was initially lost, as the sub was on the way down.

The pressure chamber has not yet been found. But the titanium end caps of the pressure chamber have been found, along with the outer frame, and the tail cone cover.

Do you suppose that the crew's cell phones and laptops survived, or were they obliterated?

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I was hoping to see Stockton Rush held accountable in some form or fashion. I still feel like something about this whole thing was off. I wonder if they can recover anything at all from that ship that can give them any clue about what happened.. when, etc. Like, have they been gone since the day they launched the mission? Or did this recently happen after pressure changes, oxygen, etc? Anyone else think Stockton Rush seemed depressed or that something else was going on? Maybe it's just me. But it just didn't add up. Still can't put my finger on it.

Still hard to believe.
It is just you. You have been desperately trying to connect some kind of ulterior motive or conspiracy to this....... now you are trying to allude that it may have been a murder suicide, was he depressed? It's a PR stunt, officials knew where they were the whole time, now some kind of suicide attempt, I'm surprised you didn't bring up aliens, the Loch Ness monster or the Illuminati...... another day or two and I'm sure at least one of those would have been your newest "theory"

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It looks like I expected, the tube imploded and is now the size of a chair. Even if found, there won’t be any bodies to bury. That was the best way to go honestly, they didn’t feel a thing.

Creeper

Reaction score
It looks like I expected, the tube imploded and is now the size of a chair. Even if found, there won’t be any bodies to bury. That was the best way to go honestly, they didn’t feel a thing.
It certainly sounds like it, but I am curious when it happened. How deep were they two hours into the dive? How close to the Titanic wreckage? If the debris is 500 yards from the Titanic where would that have put the sub when it imploded?

If it imploded when they first lost contact what was that banging at 30 minute intervals? The problem is I don't think we will ever get all the answers unless they do find the pressure capsule, or what's left of it.

shabazz

Reaction score
I just read some disturbing remarks by the Oceangate CEO in reference to the type of people that he wouldn't hire for the project

when one of the most potentially dangerous projects are undertaken, it’s criminally negligent not to utilize the best and brightest and most qualified because of the reasons he gave.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It certainly sounds like it, but I am curious when it happened. How deep were they two hours into the dive? How close to the Titanic wreckage? If the debris is 500 yards from the Titanic where would that have put the sub when it imploded?

If it imploded when they first lost contact what was that banging at 30 minute intervals? The problem is I don't think we will ever get all the answers unless they do find the pressure capsule, or what's left of it.
They estimate that it imploded about a half mile above the Titanic, right when they lost comms. Then the currents directed it to the bottom some 1300ft from the bow.

Those noises could have been anything, they died last Sunday and were never sending SOS signals.