Titanic tourist submersible goes missing with search under way

Flamma

Reaction score
It certainly sounds like it, but I am curious when it happened. How deep were they two hours into the dive? How close to the Titanic wreckage? If the debris is 500 yards from the Titanic where would that have put the sub when it imploded?

If it imploded when they first lost contact what was that banging at 30 minute intervals? The problem is I don't think we will ever get all the answers unless they do find the pressure capsule, or what's left of it.
Who knows? But carbon fiber alone was probably a bad choice. Going to those depths is risky as it is, they should probably have done many tests beforehand.

I've mentioned this before. But if billionaires like to go on these risky ventures, then they should probably pool their resources into making a reliable submersible.

shabazz

Reaction score
Who knows? But carbon fiber alone was probably a bad choice. Going to those depths is risky as it is, they should probably have done many tests beforehand.

I've mentioned this before. But if billionaires like to go on these risky ventures, then they should probably pool their resources into making a reliable submersible.
Agree. Additionally experts in the field are finally criticizing the craft because of the lack of basic redundancy that should have been built into it.

it appears to me that we had a head strong CEO that prided himself on building it on a shoestring budget, (like the $30 dollar video controller that operates it) and more importantly wouldn’t allow ex-naval or ex military personnel to have a say in the project

he preferred young, cheap, inexperienced people to aid in the project……these are basically his own words if you read his comments…..he wanted “yes men”

what a shame…….it could have clearly been avoided and/ or rescued if basic additional safeguards were allowed.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
It is just you. You have been desperately trying to connect some kind of ulterior motive or conspiracy to this....... now you are trying to allude that it may have been a murder suicide, was he depressed? It's a PR stunt, officials knew where they were the whole time, now some kind of suicide attempt, I'm surprised you didn't bring up aliens, the Loch Ness monster or the Illuminati...... another day or two and I'm sure at least one of those would have been your newest "theory"
Some of you can't have a discussion about something without thinking in absolutes. I bet you're fun at parties. Something tells me something about Stockton Rush was off. I still think we'll find something that paints a better picture. Like, maybe he was broke, and wanted to leave his wife with money. Just the way he answers questions. The fact he was a higher up at a company that makes high frequency sonar to find things in the ocean. Maybe I just think his hobby is strange. The fact he's down there taking a spot after he's being sued for collecting money when the vessel wasn't ready.. that's normal for most business owners?. Something is off with Stockton Rush, other than being stupid. Like, he had something on his mind he was hiding.

Or maybe he didn't. Either way, try having an adult discussion without turning it into a Rockpork junior high pssing contest.

Some of you get so offended at discussion ideas and possibilities. It could have been a PR stunt. Going on the news and inviting a reporter on the tube is not a PR stunt? Something is off. I still think that. If everything is on the up and up, and I'm wrong. Oh noooos. I'm sure you, Rockpork et al will have a cow and cry.

Poor guys.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
The officials said that after they put the sonar buoys in the water, that they picked no sound of an implosion. So I assume the implosion happened when communication with the sub was initially lost, as the sub was on the way down.

The pressure chamber has not yet been found. But the titanium end caps of the pressure chamber have been found, along with the outer frame, and the tail cone cover.

Do you suppose that the crew's cell phones and laptops survived, or were they obliterated?
Cell phones would be nice. But I'm pretty sure no cell phone on the market is waterproof and pressure proof at 4,000 meters...

gtb1943

Reaction score
Some of you can't have a discussion about something without thinking in absolutes. I bet you're fun at parties. Something tells me something about Stockton Rush was off. I still think we'll find something that paints a better picture. Like, maybe he was broke, and wanted to leave his wife with money. Just the way he answers questions. The fact he was a higher up at a company that makes high frequency sonar to find things in the ocean. Maybe I just think his hobby is strange. The fact he's down there taking a spot after he's being sued for collecting money when the vessel wasn't ready.. that's normal for most business owners?. Something is off with Stockton Rush, other than being stupid. Like, he had something on his mind he was hiding.

Or maybe he didn't. Either way, try having an adult discussion without turning it into a Rockpork junior high pssing contest.

Some of you get so offended at discussion ideas and possibilities. It could have been a PR stunt. Going on the news and inviting a reporter on the tube is not a PR stunt? Something is off. I still think that. If everything is on the up and up, and I'm wrong. Oh noooos. I'm sure you, Rockpork et al will have a cow and cry.

Poor guys.
Give it up. You tried to look big by pumping the PR stunt thing with NO EVIDENCE AT ALL and YOU ARE WRONG.

Show some stones and admit you were trying to impress people with a stupid stand.

Flamma

Reaction score
Agree. Additionally experts in the field are finally criticizing the craft because of the lack of basic redundancy that should have been built into it.

it appears to me that we had a head strong CEO that prided himself on building it on a shoestring budget, (like the $30 dollar video controller that operates it) and more importantly wouldn’t allow ex-naval or ex military personnel to have a say in the project

he preferred young, cheap, inexperienced people to aid in the project……these are basically his own words if you read his comments…..he wanted “yes men”

what a shame…….it could have clearly been avoided and/ or rescued if basic additional safeguards were allowed.
Absolutely. What you're saying seems to be spot on. But what to do about it? Can't do anything. If I want to take risks in whatever I do, I shouldn't need to ask permission. If I have friends, or those willing to take the risks with me, we shouldn't need to ask for permission. It's adventure. Sadly, it ends poorly sometimes.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Well, I was right about one thing.

A top secret Navy sub detected implosion just hours after sub lost contact with mothership.

Like I was saying yesterday, our military knew what happened. This is part of what I sensed was wrong with the situation. You could tell the Coast Guard knew something, at least I could. Turns out, they knew all along these guys weren't coming home. That's also likely why they didn't want to dispatch the Magellan.. It was pointless.

So, the question then becomes . . . why the extensive search?

Pardon the source, Jockport

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...implosion-HOURS-submersible-lost-contact.html

Roadtrip635

Reaction score

Poor guys.
Promotion and marketing is not the same as the PR stunt you were promoting. Of course, reporters have been invited in the past to tour or take part of a dive, that's all normal marketing for any product or service. It was something interesting and unusual and people may find interesting. You were promoting a PR stunt where they were simply faking an emergency and hiding out in safety to illicit a response and notoriety. A catastrophic or near catastrophic failure would the absolute worst PR, real or staged.

It's one thing exchanging ideas and theories, but almost all of your theories involved sinister or conspiracy based motives or causes. You so badly want it to be some type of conspiracy. Even your rescue proposals were absurd, dropping bombs on them to nudge them in case they were hung up on something....... really? :facepalm:

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Promotion and marketing is not the same as the PR stunt you were promoting. Of course, reporters have been invited in the past to tour or take part of a dive, that's all normal marketing for any product or service. It was something interesting and unusual and people may find interesting. You were promoting a PR stunt where they were simply faking an emergency and hiding out in safety to illicit a response and notoriety. A catastrophic or near catastrophic failure would the absolute worst PR, real or staged.

It's one thing exchanging ideas and theories, but almost all of your theories involved sinister or conspiracy based motives or causes. You so badly want it to be some type of conspiracy. Even your rescue proposals were absurd, dropping bombs on them to nudge them in case they were hung up on something....... really? :facepalm:
I can’t think of a better way to promote my sub tour business than faking like I got stranded at the bottom of the ocean and having to be rescued from my sub which I want people to pay money to take.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I just do not understand this ....... I have to wear a helmet on a motorcycle ...... I am forced to wear a seatbelt while driving a car.

My car has to be inspected every year so I can continue to drive it ......

But this crooked company can build a submarine out of scrap and load up a bunch of amateurs to do one of the most dangerous things you can do on this planet.

Money I guess.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I can’t think of a better way to promote my sub tour business than faking like I got stranded at the bottom of the ocean and having to be rescued from my sub which I want people to pay money to take.
I wouldn't waste your time in the kid's pool.

You're right though. It just didn't turn out like he expected. I'm not saying they intended to implode. But the goal of Stockton being on the trip likely had to do with countering the lawsuit filed by his safety advisor to demonstrate that it's safe. I think his partner on the surface figured it was just like all the other trips where they lost communication and went into PR mode. Or maybe he knew something was up before and after and was in self-preservation mode. I sense the government will be looking into investigating everyone involved up until this point. I wanted the d-bag to make it to the surface so he could be held to account.

Anyway, on top of the safety lawsuit, he was also sued by a couple who paid to take the trip but then became suspicious that the submersible wouldn't be ready in time, and it wasn't. My guess is he was pitching this thing to several people, taking payment, and was unable to refund them after he was also unable to deliver. So he was obviously attempting to kill two birds with one stone here, making it look safe, and showing those he took deposits and payment from that the vessel was active, in order to keep their hopes alive and to detour more lawsuits.

“Rush knew that if Plaintiffs requested a refund of their Deposit and withdrew from the Expedition others may follow,” the lawsuit states.

LINK: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...oceangate-expeditions-submarine-b2361474.html

Another thing that raises my eyebrows was his reply when asked if he was making money off of charging $250,000, per person.

"Not really. We've spent a million in gas," he replied.

So you're telling me they spent 15 bucks on the steering mechanism, but a smooth milly in fuel? No way that's true. I suspect we'll find out he had already spent the money and was simply unable to refund. Otherwise, why pay it?

Also, think about what the quote from the lawsuit implies: that they weren't the only couple he took payment from and never delivered. That was apparently his schtick, which is part of the reason I thought the whole missing sub part was a PR stunt. And, like you say, maybe it was but it just went wrong. This guy is one of those Ivy League morons. Went to Princeton, but like Garrett, was an Ivy League idiot.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I just do not understand this ....... I have to wear a helmet on a motorcycle ...... I am forced to wear a seatbelt while driving a car.

My car has to be inspected every year so I can continue to drive it ......

But this crooked company can build a submarine out of scrap and load up a bunch of amateurs to do one of the most dangerous things you can do on this planet.

Money I guess.
Exactly. And he was flagrantly rejecting any accountability. You have to remember this guy went to Princeton. Wealthy went to Princeton... yet dumb enough to take a carbon fiber sub-tube to three times its approved depth? That's not just kinda dumb, it's flat out silly and cheap. Sort of seems like maybe even a suicide mission. He apparently had more important things to spend his money on.

I'm actually curious if it's possible to access the internet in a submersible. Had he surfaced, I think he would have likely faced serious criminal charges like fraud, etc. You can say it's an experimental vessel. But that level of disclosure isn't full disclosure that it's an experimental sub approved for 1,300 meters — and you guys will be going to 4,000!.

Just doesn't add up. Same for the fact he was actually on the board of a company that sells high frequency sonar location, mapping devices, and does extreme depth rescues as well.

Last edited:

Pass2Run

Reaction score
..thats an awful way to die. Poor guys, sheesh.
He was "fully committed to safety, a diligent engineer, and really just wanted to preserve the oceans," his business partner is now saying (I'm paraphrasing).

I wouldn't be surprised if possible charges are coming against the remaining members of OceanGate, or he wouldn't be saying this obvious nonsense.

Carbon fiber.. that's what my bicycle is made from... lol. Look what that pressure does to a cup taken to those depths. Terrible advice from his attorney pal, through and through.

Last edited: