Titanic tourist submersible goes missing with search under way

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I don’t buy it, that is a huge gamble to play that game at those depths in a tin can that looks like it was built from Home Depot parts. The only way this scenario would be plausible is if the sub never actually descended.

It imploded, sank to the bottom and is rolling down the continental shelf and will never be found. I’ll revisit this thread if I’m wrong and say I an an idiot and apologize :thumbup:
Meh, I could be wrong. But I'm sure there's more. I didn't even mention that one of the other guy involved in this ordeal recovers subs in other missions and also recovered reusable rockers for Jeff Bezos. I'm skeptical, at this point. Smells like PR to me. If this is the case, I hope they get charged. Who knows who's pulling these strings. It's just a bizarre story, and something just seems off.

Flamma

Reaction score
I can understand wanting to see the wreckage, but not in that thing. I'd want to see it, not become the wreckage.

These billionaires need to pool their resources together to build a submersible that's more reliable.

triplets_93

Reaction score
Good find. I was not aware of this just yet. Thanks.

Source article here:

A Canadian aircraft searching for the missing Titan submersible, which failed to return Sunday from an expedition to the wreckage of the Titanic, detected “banging” in 30-minute intervals coming from the area the divers disappeared, according to internal e-mail updates sent by the Department of Homeland Security’s National Operations Center obtained by Rolling Stone.

https://www.rollingstone.com/cultur...e-missing-searchers-heard-banging-1234774674/

triplets_93

Reaction score
Official NE Coast Guard District Twitter account.

Canadian P-3 aircraft detected underwater noises in the search area. As a result, ROV operations were relocated in an attempt to explore the origin of the noises. Those ROV searches have yielded negative results but continue. 1/2

Additionally, the data from the P-3 aircraft has been shared with our U.S. Navy experts for further analysis which will be considered in future search plans. 2/2

11:18 PM (CDT) · Jun 20, 2023

triplets_93

Reaction score
In underwater disasters, a crew unable to communicate with the surface relies on banging on their submersible’s hull to be detected by sonar. However, no official has publicly suggested that’s the case and noises underwater can come from a variety of sources.

https://apnews.com/article/missing-titanic-submersible-updates-608d57438211821fee3f5349ebcc8eec

Realistically, what inside the sub would be there to bang on the hull, to be heard? I wish they would ask folks who have already been on that sub, to say what they think would actually be there to bang on the hull.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
This is going to go the way of MH370, a big mystery that will never get solved or found. That sub had fail safe measures that would have made it surface during an emergency. This submersible had too many dives, stress relaxations, compressions and structural fatigue that finally caught up to it. They were more likely gone before they knew what happened.

In the unlikely event that it didn’t implode, it might have lost power and it is being bounced along the sea floor. If that is the case, then their air will be used faster due to the freezing temperatures and they are gone by now…..not to mention the air can’t be scrubbed by the compressors(like a rebreather).

IF, and that is a big IF, the sub is found……there is no way to rescue them, especially in this timeframe. I think the Navy are the only ones capable of such a rescue but there isn’t time to get assets into position once they do find it. They then have to figure out how to hook onto and raise it……this is pretty much impossible.

The absolute best case scenario here is for the sub did ascend and they just haven’t found it floating yet……time is a ticking if that is the case.

IMO, something happened (implosion) that caused them to lose contact with the ship. That is the more humane way to go rather than laying on the seafloor, in the cold pitch black while suffocating to a slow death.

I hope I’m wrong and they get these guys back but I have a feeling nothing will ever be found from the submersible.
Suppose they found it as oxygen was getting ready to die and had to quickly pull it up…. is the bends an issue in a device like this? Can you quickly bring it to the surface?

gtb1943

Reaction score
Meh, I could be wrong. But I'm sure there's more. I didn't even mention that one of the other guy involved in this ordeal recovers subs in other missions and also recovered reusable rockers for Jeff Bezos. I'm skeptical, at this point. Smells like PR to me. If this is the case, I hope they get charged. Who knows who's pulling these strings. It's just a bizarre story, and something just seems off.
dude, give it up. This is not a PR stunt. I can guess since you went out on a limb with this and do not want to look the fool but come on.

Now I am not saying it was impossible for someone to be that STUPID to try something like that; you never go wrong underestimating the intelligence of our species.

BUT really think on the fact that such a stunt would mean an incredible lawsuit and almost certainly federal charges.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Submarine expert gives his take. Details about the company and the construction of the sub.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Submarine expert gives his take. Details about the company and the construction of the sub.

Really interesting video.

5-inch thick carbon fiber hull is insane. I know carbon fiber is incredibly strong given how light it is. That said, when there is a failure in the material it cracks (almost shatters). I’ve seen this on numerous carbon fiber road bikes. The hill of the submarine is obviously much thicker than a bike frame but it’s also under tremendous pressure. Any weak point in the hull or points along the hatch where it was glued would be exploited by unrelenting pressure at those depths.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Suppose they found it as oxygen was getting ready to die and had to quickly pull it up…. is the bends an issue in a device like this? Can you quickly bring it to the surface?
Getting bent in a submersible isn’t an issue because the air inside is kept at a normal pressure. Also, there is no fast way to raise it, can take over two hours or up to ten.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Was just listening to an expert note that the Navy doesn’t even have submarine rescue vessels that can reach the depths they may be at. The first issue is just locating them. The second issue is even devising a way to somehow bring them up.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I would think that the craft would be unlikely to be destroyed, so either they recover the craft and inspect it themselves to see what went wrong or it would be unrecoverable and having a block box would not matter.
Yes, I'm sure if they recover the sub, it's pretty easy to determine what happened...unless something incredibly strange happened.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Watched an interview with a retired Navy Submarine Captain earlier. He tastefully admitted that the outlook is most likely not a good one. I know people are holding out with hope, but the chances are very slim the occupants survive(d) this event. It's all a very unfortunate event.