Titanic tourist submersible goes missing with search under way

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Suppose they found it as oxygen was getting ready to die and had to quickly pull it up…. is the bends an issue in a device like this? Can you quickly bring it to the surface?
No. The pressure is at sea level inside the tube.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Was just listening to an expert note that the Navy doesn’t even have submarine rescue vessels that can reach the depths they may be at. The first issue is just locating them. The second issue is even devising a way to somehow bring them up.
The Coast Guard has one. But coast guard officials are blocking them using it for this, for somw reason. I think they likely feel like I do. That this might be a stunt.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
dude, give it up. This is not a PR stunt. I can guess since you went out on a limb with this and do not want to look the fool but come on.

Now I am not saying it was impossible for someone to be that STUPID to try something like that; you never go wrong underestimating the intelligence of our species.

BUT really think on the fact that such a stunt would mean an incredible lawsuit and almost certainly federal charges.
Like I said, I could be wrong. But I'm not ignoring the facts.
Wow.

Last edited:

Pass2Run

Reaction score

We studied the case of cave spelunkers in jurisprudence. In that case, several people were trapped in a cave for 30 days or some extended time. Those trapped began discussing who would be eaten bc they were dying of starvation. They all voted and decided the ones who had faith would die first...

I wonder if any of that is going on. If youre running out of oxygen..and you can decrease the intake by taking someone out..it could get ugly in that sub.

It was a hypothetical case, if I recall.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
It does not look impressive no way to risk you life with this
Maybe the noises they were hearing came from something attached to the Titanic. If something went wrong that prevented them from surfacing my guess would be implosion based on the lawsuit.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I would think that the craft would be unlikely to be destroyed, so either they recover the craft and inspect it themselves to see what went wrong or it would be unrecoverable and having a block box would not matter.
Huh? The beacon would allow them to locate the vessel whether destroyed or not. That’s the point.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Huh? The beacon would allow them to locate the vessel whether destroyed or not. That’s the point.
If it was a beacon you were focused on you should have mentioned that. I agree, the submarine should have had a beacon on it, and maybe it does but its power source was damaged.

That said, black boxes in planes are not typically used to track down a plane, but rather to understand what happened leading up to the crash once the crash area is found.

The signals in black boxes are short range so you have to be somewhat close to them to pick up the signal.

Otherwise, they would have found MH370 years ago given the number of ships and planes that participated in that search and the large swatch of ocean they covered during it.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
If it was a beacon you were focused on you should have mentioned that. I agree, the submarine should have had a beacon on it, and maybe it does but its power source was damaged.

That said, black boxes in planes are not typically used to track down a plane, but rather to understand what happened leading up to the crash once the crash area is found.

The signals in black boxes are short range so you have to be somewhat close to them to pick up the signal.

Otherwise, they would have found MH370 years ago given the number of ships and planes that participated in that search and the large swatch of ocean they covered during it.
That was something I was looking for yesterday, whether or not it was equipped with an acoustic pinger for emergencies. I never could find an answer, it was unconfirmed if it had one. If not, that seems insane not to have something as simple as that for emergency use.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That was something I was looking for yesterday, whether or not it was equipped with an acoustic pinger for emergencies. I never could find an answer, it was unconfirmed if it had one. If not, that seems insane not to have something as simple as that for emergency use.
Yeah, it's surprising there was not something built into the craft specifically for this situation as even in the best of circumstances a problem like this was always possible.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

I didn’t need to because it’s understood by those that know.

Loool, black boxes are not typically used to track down planes? Luuuuuulz, smh.

Black boxes contain beacons which automatically trigger on crashes that send out a beacon to aid in locating them. The batteries are usually good up to 30 days at a depth up to 20,000 feet. MH 370 had a number of other issues that made tracking the plane difficult while it was still in the air.

https://pilotinstitute.com/black-bo...lack boxes are encapsulated,of up to 20,000ft.

Last edited:

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I didn’t need to because it’s understood.

Black boxes contain beacons which automatically trigger on crashes that send out a beacon to aid in locating them. The batteries are usually good up to 30 days at a depth up to 20,000 feet. MH 370 had a number of other issues that made tracking the plane difficult while it was still in the air.
Actually, it is not. As I said, they do not use black boxes to locate planes because they do not have the range.

Once they identify the crash area, then they start searching for the signal to find the black box.

As for its range, 20,000 feet is great if you know exactly where they are. Then it is only one direction .. down.

If they were on the surface then that would be a wider diameter range (4-5 miles) but that would still be a tiny spot in a vast area they are searching.

Even beyond that though, the craft is presumed to be under water so the bulk of that 20,000 feet (I am guessing half of it) is being spent in a vertical line, not horizontal.

I agree with you about the craft itself having a beacon because it really should. It would need to be a lot more powerful than a black box signal though to be useful.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
They should have deep sea fisherman out there.. and someone to install lights with go-pros and have people drop them down. Say, if you have 100 boats out there.. and each has a few people dropping poles and go-pros down. I realize it's a vast area, and that visibility is bad. But there has to be a way.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Actually, it is not. As I said, they do not use black boxes to locate planes because they do not have the range.

Once they identify the crash area, then they start searching for the signal to find the black box.

As for its range, 20,000 feet is great if you know exactly where they are. Then it is only one direction .. down.

If they were on the surface then that would be a wider diameter range (4-5 miles) but that would still be a tiny spot in a vast area they are searching.

Even beyond that though, the craft is presumed to be under water so the bulk of that 20,000 feet (I am guessing half of it) is being spent in a vertical line, not horizontal.

I agree with you about the craft itself having a beacon because it really should. It would need to be a lot more powerful than a black box signal though to be useful.
I'd think that being underwater, a signal would travel farther (below the surface, anyway), since sound travels farther underwater. Of course, that probably depends on the type of signal used.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I don’t buy it, that is a huge gamble to play that game at those depths in a tin can that looks like it was built from Home Depot parts. The only way this scenario would be plausible is if the sub never actually descended.

It imploded, sank to the bottom and is rolling down the continental shelf and will never be found. I’ll revisit this thread if I’m wrong and say I an an idiot and apologize :thumbup:
Being wrong about logical speculation doesn't make you an idiot. Just means your assumption or speculation was wrong.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
This Stockton Rush guy is a scoundrel, in my opinion. He knew how dangerous this was, or he should have. I still think they will come up on their own at the last minute. If they don't, it was his own stupidity and greed that killed him. It's the other four who I feel bad for. I would like to know how the CBS reporter ended up on the sub last year, whether he was invited or was independently investigating the company. Apparently, Rush owes several millionaires money for taking their money but never reaching the Titanic.

Should they also release the recordings of the sound in case the public is able to help determine origin, location? I don't know. I'm just some idiot on the internet.

Also, a German "bloke" called this a suicide mission after taking a trip on it in 2021.
===

A German bloke who forked out £250k to go on the now-missing OceanGate submarine to see the Titanic wreckage has spoken out about the shocking state of the vessel.

Arthur Loibl, 60, went on the trip in 2021, and he has called it a “suicide mission”.

The trip, he recalled, started badly and ended even worse.

“It was a suicide mission back then," he told German news outlet BILD.

"The first submarine didn't work, then a dive at 1,600 metres had to be abandoned."

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/bloke-who-paid-250k-titanic-30293181

Last edited:

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd think that being underwater, a signal would travel farther (below the surface, anyway), since sound travels farther underwater. Of course, that probably depends on the type of signal used.
I think the 20,000 range is taking that into account, meaning under water its signal range is about 20,000 feet.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I think the 20,000 range is taking that into account, meaning under water its signal range is about 20,000 feet.
Seems like they should be able to make one that travels much farther than that. When I was a kid, my friends and I would clack rocks together underwater, and you could hear it from across the lake. Granted, it was a pretty small lake, but that was just small rocks lightly smacking together.

Some whales can hear each other from extraordinary distances.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
They should have deep sea fisherman out there.. and someone to install lights with go-pros and have people drop them down. Say, if you have 100 boats out there.. and each has a few people dropping poles and go-pros down. I realize it's a vast area, and that visibility is bad. But there has to be a way.
:facepalm: