Titanic tourist submersible goes missing with search under way

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Actually, it is not. As I said, they do not use black boxes to locate planes because they do not have the range.

Once they identify the crash area, then they start searching for the signal to find the black box.

As for its range, 20,000 feet is great if you know exactly where they are. Then it is only one direction .. down.

If they were on the surface then that would be a wider diameter range (4-5 miles) but that would still be a tiny spot in a vast area they are searching.

Even beyond that though, the craft is presumed to be under water so the bulk of that 20,000 feet (I am guessing half of it) is being spent in a vertical line, not horizontal.

I agree with you about the craft itself having a beacon because it really should. It would need to be a lot more powerful than a black box signal though to be useful.
They do use the black boxes to locate the planes. Not sure where you’re getting your information.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They do use the black boxes to locate the planes. Not sure where you’re getting your information.
They do not have the range you think they do. If you know where they crashed then yeah, they can narrow it down the last 3-4 miles on land possibly.

If a plane goes down in the ocean though (ex: Malaysia Flight MH370), they are basically useless unless you know right where they crashed.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Actually, it is not. As I said, they do not use black boxes to locate planes because they do not have the range.

Once they identify the crash area, then they start searching for the signal to find the black box.

As for its range, 20,000 feet is great if you know exactly where they are. Then it is only one direction .. down.

If they were on the surface then that would be a wider diameter range (4-5 miles) but that would still be a tiny spot in a vast area they are searching.

Even beyond that though, the craft is presumed to be under water so the bulk of that 20,000 feet (I am guessing half of it) is being spent in a vertical line, not horizontal.

I agree with you about the craft itself having a beacon because it really should. It would need to be a lot more powerful than a black box signal though to be useful.
Bro, you’re literally making this up in the face of the actual facts.

They absolutely use the black box beacon to locate and hone in on the wreckage/crash location.

You brought up MH 370 but either forgotten or didn’t know the primary issue with the incident was that they lost track of the plane while it was in flight…for hours over the Indian Ocean. They had no idea where to even begin to look and were canvassing an area more than 45,000 square miles. They literally ran out of time before the black box’s batteries ran out.

That’s an infinitely different scenario than knowing a vessel was in a general location near the Titanic.

Pass2Run

Reaction score

They absolutely use the black box beacon to locate and hone in on the wreckage/crash location.

You brought up MH 370 but either forgotten or didn’t know the primary issue with the incident was that they lost track of the plane while it was in flight…for hours over the Indian Ocean. They had no idea where to even begin to look and were canvassing an area more than 45,000 square miles. They literally ran out of time before the black box’s batteries ran out.

That’s an infinitely different scenario than knowing a vessel was in a general location near the Titanic.
Asking because I don't know. So they didn't realize the MH 370 crashed until 30 days was up?

Also, his lawyer friend was supposed to be on the vessel. But an "emergency situation with a client" made him have to reschedule at the last minute. That sounds fishy to me. The lawyer would know more about the business than anyone. My guess is this guy had money problems of some sort, too..

Pass2Run

Reaction score
And the relevance of this to your claim is what?
You're getting confused. I'm not making an absolute, single claim. I'm trying to discuss possible theories here. It's still a mystery. I'm watching another video now where a reporter went down there on the vessel and they got wedged in between the propeller after a current swept them into it. So that current probably flows down, and through a portion of that propeller. So, no telling. They could be down there waiting for a current to become unwedged. I wonder if the military can drop some explosions under ground to shake the Earth, somehow, if that is indeed the case, or somehow cause a current .

Here's another thing that baffles me. The military knows what's up here. No way they don't have a way to see what's down there.

Also, oil companies have rovers that can move around on the ground. So if they're stuck on the ship, they can push them out.

Last edited:

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Nice. Who can come up with the best conspiracy theory? Haha. I hope they come up. Either way, lessons will be learned here. So, these are going to be the new jam though. Investors will finally be more interested in exploring the bottom of our oceans.

What I really don't like about this guy is how he sold the tour to unsuspecting people while understating the dangers. He's kind of a POS, really. The waiver should have the fact about how it's only approved for 1,300. He's basically signing you up to be a guinea pig for his first ever extreme-depth submersible.

Cool resource, by the way.

I almost thought that coordinate was the photo of the dock on google maps.

Last edited:

Pass2Run

Reaction score
What if they ran into a submarine of an enemy country.. that could be bad if they were mistaken for a military op or just as a message. It's carbon fiber, so it may be difficult to prove, in that scenario. Sounds crazy. But the whole balloon thing and all could have launched a proxy war, since China things it owns the moon and other unexplored areas, etc. Crazy theory. But we live in a crazy world, if you think back to Gulf of Tonkin etc.

I'll take all the tomatoes I can get, by the way, for my salsa. :)

They may actually know where they are, and be waiting for the current to hit a certain speed. It sounds like they could already know if or if they aren't already breathing. And may be waiting on the current. Who knows. That's my optimistic view. They know where they are, know their condition, but are waiting on the proper logistics out there. It takes time to get there.

The military knows. No matter where you are.

Also, look up galvanic corrosion.

You also don't want to beat on the hull that deep while at those depths, in carbon fiber, I'd imagine, it could cause a chain reaction and that whole vessel to splinter.

Last edited:

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Coast Guard releases map with areas of ‘completed searches’ for missing Titanic sub
https://www.unilad.com/news/coast-g...eted-searches-for-missing-sub-359313-20230621

The Coast Guard shared the update on Twitter, writing: "A Coast Guard Air Station Elizabeth City HC-130 Hercules fixed-wing aircraft conducted a search Wednesday afternoon, spanning 879 miles over the search area."

No black box is going to help them locate a submerged craft over an 879+ mile search area when the depth is 12,000 feet and the range on a block box is 20,000 feet until they get right on top of it.

At best you would get 1-2 miles on the surface and more likely it would be less than 1 mile from the black box to pick up a signal.

Once the area is narrowed down to a spot, then sure, it could help.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Coast Guard releases map with areas of ‘completed searches’ for missing Titanic sub
https://www.unilad.com/news/coast-g...eted-searches-for-missing-sub-359313-20230621

The Coast Guard shared the update on Twitter, writing: "A Coast Guard Air Station Elizabeth City HC-130 Hercules fixed-wing aircraft conducted a search Wednesday afternoon, spanning 879 miles over the search area."

No black box is going to help them locate a submerged craft over an 879+ mile search area when the depth is 12,000 feet and the range on a block box is 20,000 feet until they get right on top of it.

At best you would get 1-2 miles on the surface and more likely it would be less than 1 mile from the black box to pick up a signal.

Once the area is narrowed down to a spot, then sure, it could help.
Still, though, this guy was an engineer. He should have had other safety measures built in, like the ability to shed the outer shell if it gets stuck, especially in a carbon fiber vessel. You don't have one hull, you should have at least two some how, or something other than carbon fiber.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Still, though, this guy was an engineer. He should have had other safety measures built in, like the ability to shed the outer shell if it gets stuck, especially in a carbon fiber vessel. You don't have one hull, you should have at least two some how, or something other than carbon fiber.
I agree completely and said as much in earlier posts.

While a black box signal wouldn't be strong enough, given the distance and wide area they were traveling, it is completely irresponsible not to have some sort of long range locator or tracking beacon on the craft.

triplets_93

Reaction score

Like it or not, ALL of the crew members onboard the Titan knew:
1) The Titan was a new design experimental submersible
2) The Titan was not certified by any Nation

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I agree completely and said as much in earlier posts.

While a black box signal wouldn't be strong enough, given the distance and wide area they were traveling, it is completely irresponsible not to have some sort of long range locator or tracking beacon on the craft.
Even a tether or some other sort of implosion proof location device. A tether with a possible camera link would be ideal. Not only that, you have to have a better back up plan. This CEO knows about high-frequency sonar, so I'm thinking he's just off his rocker, and the Coast Guard is especially irked because they suspect they know where it is. I suspect they have to have a way to know. And if they don't, well, they should.