Todd Archer - Dan Quinn will be the first domino to fall

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Who is going to employ Quinn as HC. Still can't see it
I agree with OP that he will NOT be the Cowboys' 2024 DC........but another team. Yes, he's interviewing for 4 HC jobs but that doesn't stop those teams from seeing if he's interested in being their defensive coordinator if he doesn't get an HC job. Look, there are possibly 7-8 DC jobs out there. Quinn has only one 1 year left on his Cowboy contract. You better believe he'd be interested in another DC job with a new 3-5 year contract if he can't find an HC job.
So, IMO yes, he's done here either way........

blueblood70

Reaction score
Misinformation. Dak can be made a June 1st cut and actually save money. Why would you pay all that money for a QB who has been average at best in the playoffs?
No the misinformation is the way your mind sees this it's like using coupons for products that you usually don't use say you wanna buy a Kroger brand usually because you're happy with it but then you see a coupon for a top brand something you really didn't even need and you went and bought it is that saving money or is that spending money that you normally wouldn't spend? It's still a cap hit it still leaves us without a quarterback there is a lot of dead cap money if we cut him post June 1st that's not misinformation we're still gonna end up eating probably $30 million I don't remember what the cap hit is because I haven't looked cause I don't think they're gonna get rid of Prescott he has a year left on his contract the year to get out of it would be before 2025 that's the last time I checked would be viable but I made real arguments that shouldn't be dismissed we will not have a quarterback so we're already gonna end up with dead cat money for that position and then have to find a quarterback that can win us enough games to get us to the playoffs every year now have any losing seasons been to the playoffs five I don't know last seven seasons one of the best touchdown interception ratios the man was up for MVP consideration and you just wanna just get rid of him for who who's gonna do those things I mean are you trying to get rid of them because you don't think he deserves that kind of money but at the cost of having to only win 5 to 8 games the next four years!!

you rather be upset at losing a playoff game and lose a lot of regular season games and not make the playoffs..hmm that's the more likely scenario nobody knows if that's what's gonna happen but if you wanna be a 7 to 8 win team again at best and not make the playoffs you're not gonna complain about not being able to make the playoffs I mean you're upset that we're getting bounced out of the playoffs and that we've won 36 games in the last three years what happens when we can't find a quarterback or the next coach who we thought was gonna be better is worse???

It is not smart to get rid of your quarterback still under contract that is this year played well enough to be an MVP consideration talks he's still under contract we need a bridge between this quarterback and our next quarterback allowing hopefully a new coaching staff to choose that guy.... Sure they need to start planning now will Trey Lance be the backup next year I think he will is he the next starter we don't know but then we probably need to bring in another quarterback a late rounder I don't know after the fourth round find another quarterback but because we won 12 games this year we're not picking high in the draft you're not getting a top quarterback or at least one that's considered top five because we're in the wrong spot in the draft and you can't use draft picks and spend more money because again a lot of dead cap money is already gonna be on the books for that position...

It makes zero sense now for some reason Prescott himself is done here and tired of the blowback in the delusional fan base and people criticizing him maybe he'll accept a trade maybe we can get a low first round and a second round or a first and a fourth then maybe we should move on but just cutting him does not work it just doesn't it's not smart I'm sorry I'm not having this conversation with somebody who thinks he knows how to build a team versus the people that are up in the star that really do understand that that would be some big time cap implications....

blueblood70

Reaction score
Misinformation. Dak can be made a June 1st cut and actually save money. Why would you pay all that money for a QB who has been average at best in the playoffs?
You calling Prescott average because his defense can't stop anyone because they can't establish the run game because the teams not playing well around him that's why he looks average maybe we ought to build the team so he can play better so you could stop blaming the quarterback...

Merlin

Reaction score
No the misinformation is the way your mind sees this it's like using coupons for products that you usually don't use say you wanna buy a Kroger brand usually because you're happy with it but then you see a coupon for a top brand something you really didn't even need and you went and bought it is that saving money or is that spending money that you normally wouldn't spend? It's still a cap hit it still leaves us without a quarterback there is a lot of dead cap money if we cut him post June 1st that's not misinformation we're still gonna end up eating probably $30 million I don't remember what the cap hit is because I haven't looked cause I don't think they're gonna get rid of Prescott he has a year left on his contract the year to get out of it would be before 2025 that's the last time I checked would be viable but I made real arguments that shouldn't be dismissed we will not have a quarterback so we're already gonna end up with dead cat money for that position and then have to find a quarterback that can win us enough games to get us to the playoffs every year now have any losing seasons been to the playoffs five I don't know last seven seasons one of the best touchdown interception ratios the man was up for MVP consideration and you just wanna just get rid of him for who who's gonna do those things I mean are you trying to get rid of them because you don't think he deserves that kind of money but at the cost of having to only win 5 to 8 games the next four years!!

you rather be upset at losing a playoff game and lose a lot of regular season games and not make the playoffs..hmm that's the more likely scenario nobody knows if that's what's gonna happen but if you wanna be a 7 to 8 win team again at best and not make the playoffs you're not gonna complain about not being able to make the playoffs I mean you're upset that we're getting bounced out of the playoffs and that we've won 36 games in the last three years what happens when we can't find a quarterback or the next coach who we thought was gonna be better is worse???

It is not smart to get rid of your quarterback still under contract that is this year played well enough to be an MVP consideration talks he's still under contract we need a bridge between this quarterback and our next quarterback allowing hopefully a new coaching staff to choose that guy.... Sure they need to start planning now will Trey Lance be the backup next year I think he will is he the next starter we don't know but then we probably need to bring in another quarterback a late rounder I don't know after the fourth round find another quarterback but because we won 12 games this year we're not picking high in the draft you're not getting a top quarterback or at least one that's considered top five because we're in the wrong spot in the draft and you can't use draft picks and spend more money because again a lot of dead cap money is already gonna be on the books for that position...

It makes zero sense now for some reason Prescott himself is done here and tired of the blowback in the delusional fan base and people criticizing him maybe he'll accept a trade maybe we can get a low first round and a second round or a first and a fourth then maybe we should move on but just cutting him does not work it just doesn't it's not smart I'm sorry I'm not having this conversation with somebody who thinks he knows how to build a team versus the people that are up in the star that really do understand that that would be some big time cap implications....
The misinformation is you saying something can't be done when it clearly can. A loser's mentality.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
A team would be insane to hire him as hc
+1 but I see Quinn using the interviews to get his interest in another DC job out there. This assures him a new 3-5 contract as opposed to 1 year left year left on his Cowboy deal. Either way, I think he's done here.......

Ring6

StarSchema
Reaction score
I think three things need to happen if this team is serious about winning a championship:

1. Trade Prescott. Let someone else pay him $50 mil.
2. Fire McCarthy and hire a young, offensive-minded HC (Ben Johnson)
3. Make Will McClay the team's official GM. He's the most important person in the organization.
I like this, and would even consider this option:
1. Make Will McClay the team's official GM, then let him decide on next coach based on interviews containing questions on how that person would handle the QB position, among others, then let the coach do his job.

75boyz

Reaction score
It's that time of year.
Scapegoatin' Time.

Quinn drew the short straw this year. He just follows in the footsteps of past scapegoats Linehan, Garrett, Moore and Zeke...
And to also include scapegoat entities named defense and offensive line.

McCarthy and Dak are the favorites for next year's scapegoat winner with Vegas odds having McCarthy with a sizeable lead in the betting lines right now.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Yep fire him and move on.
I see what you're saying but I'm pretty sure if the decision is made to move on you let him go through the interview process since they were already set/booked. No sense in embarrassing him and his family by firing before. (lol).

BTW.......With Quinn gone, it would not surprise me at all to see MM back ( final year of his deal) with a mandate from Jerry to hire a new OC and DC.
In other words, of the three, Dak, MM, and Quinn, at least one has to go. There's no way in hell he can run it back with all three.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
It's that time of year.
Scapegoatin' Time.

Quinn drew the short straw this year. He just follows in the footsteps of past scapegoats Linehan, Garrett, Moore and Zeke...
And to also include scapegoat entities named defense and offensive line.

McCarthy and Dak are the favorites for next year's scapegoat winner with Vegas odds having McCarthy with a sizeable lead in the betting lines right now.
+1......Of the three, 1 has to go

VACowboy

Reaction score
I like this, and would even consider this option:
1. Make Will McClay the team's official GM, then let him decide on next coach based on interviews containing questions on how that person would handle the QB position, among others, then let the coach do his job.
100%

jwitten82

Reaction score
I see what you're saying but I'm pretty sure if the decision is made to move on you let him go through the interview process since they were already set/booked. No sense in embarrassing him and his family by firing before. (lol).

BTW.......With Quinn gone, it would not surprise me at all to see MM back ( final year of his deal) with a mandate from Jerry to hire a new OC and DC.
In other words, of the three, Dak, MM, and Quinn, at least one has to go. There's no way in hell he can run it back with all three.
This is a business, who care if he gets embarrassed? He already embarrassed himself and his family by that defensive performance on Sunday

BoysForLife

Reaction score
You calling Prescott average because his defense can't stop anyone because they can't establish the run game because the teams not playing well around him that's why he looks average maybe we ought to build the team so he can play better so you could stop blaming the quarterback...

Two things to take notice of here.

#1, the dagger pick 6 speaks for itself. Blabber on all you want about the defense but the game ended right here on this play and everyone knows it.
#2, look at that little stat blip in the bottom right corner of the screen as this video starts. "D Prescott, 7/12, 61 YDS, 1 INT"
that was Dak's stat line at the 2:00 warning of the 2nd quarter. And after this throw it was 7/13, 61 YDS, 2 INT.

I don't want to hear jack crap about defense, run game, whatever. This man is demanding to be the highest paid player in NFL history and this is what had for almost a full half worth of work against a team that barely scraped into the tournament? Save it bro. It's over.

Sydla

Reaction score
So to be clear............. our elite paid QB, who you likely have said is one of the best QBs in football, needs basically everything around him to be working perfectly to succeed?

That's idiotic. It wasn't the defense or the OL or the lack of run game that had him miss a wide open Lamb to start the game. It wasn't the lack of run game or the OL or McCarthy that made him throw an awful pick 6 where he stared down the WR the entire time.

The defense sucked on Sunday. But so did Dak. He was bad, right from the jump. To not admit that very OBVIOUS FACT, instead blaming the run game or the WRs or whatever, is just preposterous.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
giphy.gif
SMH

Mr_437

Reaction score
This was a given. It was known DQ was leaving 2 weeks ago, actually, he started interviewing and quit last week.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Offense scored points because the Packers were in basic prevent for much of the second half.

Dak stunk. Quinn stunk. One has nothing to do with the other. Quinn isn't being made a sacrificial lamb for Dak.
Yup, I 100% agree. They both sucked. Unfortunately we're most likely stuck with Dak, but we don't have to be stuck with DQ. I appreciate what he did in his time here, but it's time to move on.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
This is a prime example of our issues at top. Why are we waiting on Quinn?
Jerry is gutless and rather than firing him, he rather Quinn just leave out the back door. Maybe its a contract thing too. If Quinn leaves voluntarily then Jerry won't have to pay him the remainder since he resigned a new one last year. Either way, he a goner.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Offense scored points because the Packers were in basic prevent for much of the second half.

Dak stunk. Quinn stunk. One has nothing to do with the other. Quinn isn't being made a sacrificial lamb for Dak.
Yeah I don't know what he's talking about. Anyone with eyes can tell you Dak and Quinn sucked. One doesn't get a pass because of the other. Dak and Quinn both deserve to be finding another team to work for after that game.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yup, I 100% agree. They both sucked. Unfortunately we're most likely stuck with Dak, but we don't have to be stuck with DQ. I appreciate what he did in his time here, but it's time to move on.
We aren't stuck with Dak. They can make a decision on him and release him. Cap hit and all.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Jerry is gutless and rather than firing him, he rather Quinn just leave out the back door. Maybe its a contract thing too. If Quinn leaves voluntarily then Jerry won't have to pay him the remainder since he resigned a new one last year.
That's exactly what it is. Jerry hates paying coaches to not coach. Broaddus and others have talked about how when he wants to make a change, instead of just firing a coach he'll tell them, "Maybe you should go find another job." Then they do, and boom, Jerry doesn't have to pay them to sit at home.