Twitter: Tony Romo #71 and Tyron Smith #78 on the NFLN Top 100

Everson24

Reaction score
Neither Roger Staubach or Troy Aikman could have won many games with the defense an offensive line Tony Romo has been saddled with for much of his career. We saw how Troy played when both started to decline. It wasn't pretty at all and Troy's defenses were far better than the average ranking of Tony Romo's defenses. I am stunned that more Cowboys fans cant see this. Sure, Romo throws some bad interceptions, but all quarterbacks do. The quarterbacks that win championships do so as a team. Unfortunately most of Tony Romo's teams have had gaping holes in too many areas to be considered great.

2007 was our best chance, but we were weak at corner, safety and wide receiver with no Terry Glenn and then got worse when T.O. had the high ankle sprain at the end of that season.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
I am not the biggest fan of these lists.....but Tyron Smith should be higher in my opinion. Based on his age, performance, and position he plays. Didn't he make All Pro this past year?

Absolutely. Made 2nd team all pro only behind Joe Thomas and Jason Peters. But of course he's only 23, in his 3rd year and is actually younger than Zach Martin.

I was waiting to see where he'd fall. Watched the presentation and they actually made him seem a little worse than what he is.

They said his biggest accomplishment was not allowing a sack against the Lions...?

He only allowed one sack period last year, which was the best in the NFL for all tackles.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Yeah, Smith should be higher.
fwiw...which isn't much

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
Kaepernick is a one-dimensional QB. He can't throw worth a lick. Just watch him.

They say he can make every throw.
The problem I have with these Kaps, Wilsons & RG3's being ahead of a "stat-based" QB of Tony's ilk is that those guys have only been in the league a hot minute. There is not enough data to truly analyze if they are or are not top 5, 10, 20, etc. Give me at least 5 years.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
The problem I have with these Kaps, Wilsons & RG3's being ahead of a "stat-based" QB of Tony's ilk is that those guys have only been in the league a hot minute. There is not enough data to truly analyze if they are or are not top 5, 10, 20, etc. Give me at least 5 years.

Well, he didn't in the playoff loss to Seattle last year. He has his moments, but his fundamentals need lots of work. It's up to him to realize his full potential.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
It really is a popularity contest of epic proportions as you just posted it will be very interesting to say the least.

So the news is that Romo is finally popular and undeservedly being on most hated lists.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So does this mean the NFLN top 100 poll is valid again?...
None of the NFL Network's Top 100 lists have been valid. The format is flawed. They are popularity contests essentially. The flawed concept applies equally for all players on the list, not just to Tony "Fat Bastid" Romo.

That said, there is one worthy characteristic inherent of the format, something I have mentioned for years. Using only the total number of offensive and defensive starters who might vote as a baseline, the Top 100 list represents the upper 15% favorable players in the league. That's not a static percentage since every player does not vote. However, players should feel honored regardless of the number attributed to them. Even the top 200 players voted for, many of whom do not even crack the list or crack it consistently, represent the upper third most favorable players according to their peers.

NFL Network has done an excellent job creating a program designed to create annual controversey. The show attracts viewers and spreads debate across the internet. They should be applauded for birthing a money maker, but the numbering methodology is bogus. As far as fans are concerned, they should feel a sense of pride seeing their players listed ANYWHERE on the list. Or even if NFL Network says their players just missed the cut.

Players squatting on the list or hovering on the next tier means a significant portion of their peers believe they are the upper crust of the league. I know that does not satisfy some fans or viewers. All some care about is having players "vindicated" by being named the best of the best. It's a selfish narrow-minded view, diminishing the actual, true accolade given to a player--which is still somewhat tainted by the dumb balloting process. :)

Last edited:

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Damien Woody ‏@damienwoody 15m
Did Stephen A. just say he would put Cam, Russell Wilson ahead of Romo?! People trippin out here
Romo is trash?! Take him off Cowboys & that club would be TRASH!
Russell Wilson is a game manager, Romo is a better QB right now
Did ppl watch the Cowboys defense last yr?!!! I’m not a Cowboys fan but y’all hate on Romo too much
I know ppl want to put R. Wilson in Canton already but the man was a game manager down the stretch #FactsOnly

DanteEXT

Reaction score
Should be interesting.

It's all a popularity contest anyway.
It's not like these players watch even a fraction of the games.
I think last year, they probably had memories of him playing like crap in that loss at Washington in his last game. So he got left out.
This year, the last game he played they saw him throw the game winning TD..also at Washington. So now he's in.
It's silly.

Be interesting to know how much NFL football the average player actually watches outside of work. I would guess the answer is pretty close to 0.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
There's been a big uproar of Romo making the top 100 from the casual fan.

*casual fan is someone who invests literally 0 amount of time in verifying facts.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
It's funny that anyone would think Russell Wilson is the better QB than Romo.

Or Kaepernick. Let's just look at last year, here:

Kaep: 3,197 yds passing, 21 TDs, 8 ints, 58.4 comp%, 7.7 ypa
Romo: 3,828 yds passing, 31 tds, 10 ints, 63.9 comp%, 7.2 ypa

Even if you add Kaep's run game to it, he still comes up 107 yds and 5 TDs short... even having one extra game.

DFWJC

Reaction score
It's funny that anyone would think Russell Wilson is the better QB than Romo.

Or Kaepernick. Let's just look at last year, here:

Kaep: 3,197 yds passing, 21 TDs, 8 ints, 58.4 comp%, 7.7 ypa
Romo: 3,828 yds passing, 31 tds, 10 ints, 63.9 comp%, 7.2 ypa

Even if you add Kaep's run game to it, he still comes up 107 yds and 5 TDs short... even having one extra game.

Not to mention that he played vs stacked boxes and usually with a lead. Way easier.

Afigueroa22

Reaction score
I thought Hatcher would be where Witten is and Witten would be where Murray is with Murray not on the list.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Are you a Romo fan or a Cowboys fan? Because Romo hasn't been a successful QB for the Cowboys and that is a fact.

always hilarious to see someone claim their opinion is fact. usually means they have trouble getting through doors and around corners.

TrailBlazer

Reaction score
Kap and Wilson have proven themselves in the playoffs. Which is probably why they are ahead of tony. You don't need 5 years to analyze a qb, especially when they're teams perform at such high levels.