Twitter: Tony Romo #71 and Tyron Smith #78 on the NFLN Top 100

TrailBlazer

Reaction score
It's funny that anyone would think Russell Wilson is the better QB than Romo.

Or Kaepernick. Let's just look at last year, here:

Kaep: 3,197 yds passing, 21 TDs, 8 ints, 58.4 comp%, 7.7 ypa
Romo: 3,828 yds passing, 31 tds, 10 ints, 63.9 comp%, 7.2 ypa

Even if you add Kaep's run game to it, he still comes up 107 yds and 5 TDs short... even having one extra game.

Honestly, we don't know who is better. Kap has a much better team around him, so does Wilson. So we can't look at win loss record. Tony is asked to throw the ball more than kap and Wilson. So we can't really look at stats. Obviously if you're starting a team today, you take the young guy. But it's impossible to know definitively who is the best without putting them side by side in a training camp like evaluation.

TrailBlazer

Reaction score
Tyron Smith is a top 20 talent in this league. If the NFL had a redraft, he would be gone in the top ten! No doubt about it with his age. I know the list isn't to be taken seriously but come on.

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
Kap and Wilson have proven themselves in the playoffs. Which is probably why they are ahead of tony. You don't need 5 years to analyze a qb, especially when they're teams perform at such high levels.

Key word in your post is "team" ... but your criteria and standards are much lower than mine. I know, I know ... SB is the be all end all for you. Said it before you posted it. That is the ultimate criteria. So it is written.

Many a QB has "led" teams to SB's and you never hear from them again. They definetly never make the Top-Anything list and never in anyone's message board, twitter, blog, etc. conversation. Oh yes, and they will never be remembered in history unless somebody reminds you of who they really are. But just the mention of that 4-letter word "Romo" send people in a tailspin hissy-fit that this generation has never seen before.

Like I said ... 5 years from now, get back at me on Kap & Wilson.

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
It's funny that anyone would think Russell Wilson is the better QB than Romo.

Or Kaepernick. Let's just look at last year, here:

Kaep: 3,197 yds passing, 21 TDs, 8 ints, 58.4 comp%, 7.7 ypa
Romo: 3,828 yds passing, 31 tds, 10 ints, 63.9 comp%, 7.2 ypa

Even if you add Kaep's run game to it, he still comes up 107 yds and 5 TDs short... even having one extra game.

But those are just numbers. There's nothing in a number. I don't know why people bother using them. They're irrelevant (sarcasm)

TrailBlazer

Reaction score
Their defense has. They have not.

You can't win without a qb, no matter how good the defense is. why try to minimize what they have accomplished already in their young careers? Wilson played great in that Super Bowl. And nobody can take that away just bc he has a superb defense. Postseason success goes a long way in determining a players legacy. Contrary to popular belief here on CZ, it's not all about regular season stats. Kap and Wilson have proved themselves capable on the big stage. This list is crap, but I can see the reasoning.

TrailBlazer

Reaction score
Key word in your post is "team" ... but your criteria and standards are much lower than mine. I know, I know ... SB is the be all end all for you. Said it before you posted it. That is the ultimate criteria. So it is written.

Many a QB has "led" teams to SB's and you never hear from them again. They definetly never make the Top-Anything list and never in anyone's message board, twitter, blog, etc. conversation. Oh yes, and they will never be remembered in history unless somebody reminds you of who they really are. But just the mention of that 4-letter word "Romo" send people in a tailspin hissy-fit that this generation has never seen before.

Like I said ... 5 years from now, get back at me on Kap & Wilson.
Of course the SB is the be all end all. It is the pinnacle. If this wasnt the main objective, why keep score? We could just keep stats, right?

So SB championships is a low standard to have? And you have a higher standard than that? Plz explain.

It doesn't take 5 years to evaluate a qb. Nobody goes by that guideline. Especially when they have immediate postseason success. If they prove themselves on the big stage, then they earned the right to be considered one the best. No matter how good their defense is.

Califan007

Reaction score
Tyron Smith is a top 20 talent in this league. If the NFL had a redraft, he would be gone in the top ten! No doubt about it with his age. I know the list isn't to be taken seriously but come on.

Wasn't he a top 10 draft pick to begin with? No re-draft necessary lol...

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
You can't win without a qb, no matter how good the defense is. why try to minimize what they have accomplished already in their young careers? Wilson played great in that Super Bowl. And nobody can take that away just bc he has a superb defense. Postseason success goes a long way in determining a players legacy. Contrary to popular belief here on CZ, it's not all about regular season stats. Kap and Wilson have proved themselves capable on the big stage. This list is crap, but I can see the reasoning.

You can't win without a solid team. Why bash romo but not the team?

Oh, you hate romo

Sportsbabe

Reaction score

Lord knows I'm not minimizing it. Last Name Wilson is one of my favorite QB's. He's like Romo. He worked his way to the top. He is a baller. I'm just not the one to crown nobody in the NFL after 1 to 2 years. Like the great Denny Green said ... if you want to crown them then crown them ... LOL. Football is hard. It's a man's game. Kap almost lost it last year because somebody criticized him on twitter... I think. There are so many things that these guys haven't faced yet. Let's just wait and see what happens.

TrailBlazer

Reaction score
But those are just numbers. There's nothing in a number. I don't know why people bother using them. They're irrelevant (sarcasm)
You can't compare stats and say definitely romo is better. That is short sighted. Romo is asked to do different things.

If we're just gonna look at stats without CONTEXT. Then lets take a look at postseason wins.

Stats will show you what you want to see. Anybody can find stats to backup their claim.

TrailBlazer

Reaction score
Lord knows I'm not minimizing it. Last Name Wilson is one of my favorite QB's. He's like Romo. He worked his way to the top. He is a baller. I'm just not the one to crown nobody in the NFL after 1 to 2 years. Like the great Denny Green said ... if you want to crown them then crown them ... LOL. Football is hard. It's a man's game. Kap almost lost it last year because somebody criticized him on twitter... I think. There are so many things that these guys haven't faced yet. Let's just wait and see what happens.

Fair enough

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
You can't compare stats and say definitely romo is better. That is short sighted. Romo is asked to do different things.

If we're just gonna look at stats without CONTEXT. Then lets take a look at postseason wins.

Stats will show you what you want to see. Anybody can find stats to backup their claim.

Isn't post season wins a stat you use to compare?

TrailBlazer

Reaction score
You can't win without a solid team. Why bash romo but not the team?

Oh, you hate romo

Lol I disagree with your opinion so I hate romo. What's next, Personal attacks? How typical of someone who lacks the ability to look at things objectively. I simply stood up and voiced my opinion on kap and Wilson. I never even mentioned Romo's name in that post. SMH

You can't look at stats and make an accurate judgment on these 3 qb's. that's my point, and I can see the reasoning. Postseason success is what it's about. That doesn't mean it's Romo's fault alone. Just means kap and Wilson have proved themselves in the playoffs and it can't be minimized, bc that is hard to accomplish no matter how good your defense is.

TrailBlazer

Reaction score
Isn't post season wins a stat you use to compare?

No. You have to have context. Everyone knows romo hasn't had as much help as kap or Wilson. Therefore, postseason stats alone don't make those 2 definitively better than romo. And regular season stats alone don't make romo better than those 2. It's all about context. Romo is asked to do different things than kap or Wilson.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No. You have to have context. Everyone knows romo hasn't had as much help as kap or Wilson. Therefore, postseason stats alone don't make those 2 definitively better than romo. And regular season stats alone don't make romo better than those 2. It's all about context. Romo is asked to do different things than kap or Wilson.
I would say that is a bit of a small a significant a huge an enormous exaggeration.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
Honestly, we don't know who is better. Kap has a much better team around him, so does Wilson. So we can't look at win loss record. Tony is asked to throw the ball more than kap and Wilson. So we can't really look at stats. Obviously if you're starting a team today, you take the young guy. But it's impossible to know definitively who is the best without putting them side by side in a training camp like evaluation.

I respectfully disagree. This isn't a negligible talent gap like the gap between Ryan, Rivers, and Romo. These are guys that have ONLY had it easy.

Kaepernick has a better argument than Wilson in my opinion, but with comparable talent he's done less than Romo. (Crabtree, Vernon Davis, strong OL not much different than Dez, Witten, strong OL)... but Kaepernick also has a defense that is going to have his back unless it's up to him to win the game in waning moments... then you run into the same problem because he decided to test Sherman with "a sorry receiver like Crabtree".

Wilson, I've never looked at and said, wow that's talent. He just has the benefit of not having to play outside of himself. If he were asked to win games consistently without the backing of that defense, the Seahawks wouldn't be in the playoffs.

Put it like this. Russell Wilson on the Cowboys last year would've been a 4-12 season at best.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Neither Roger Staubach or Troy Aikman could have won many games with the defense an offensive line Tony Romo has been saddled with for much of his career. We saw how Troy played when both started to decline. It wasn't pretty at all and Troy's defenses were far better than the average ranking of Tony Romo's defenses. I am stunned that more Cowboys fans cant see this. Sure, Romo throws some bad interceptions, but all quarterbacks do. The quarterbacks that win championships do so as a team. Unfortunately most of Tony Romo's teams have had gaping holes in too many areas to be considered great.

2007 was our best chance, but we were weak at corner, safety and wide receiver with no Terry Glenn and then got worse when T.O. had the high ankle sprain at the end of that season.

Neither Roger or Troy? Oh lord. The Legend of Tony Romo grows more and more everyday.

Smith22

Reaction score
You can't win without a qb, no matter how good the defense is. why try to minimize what they have accomplished already in their young careers?

Trent Dilfer says hello. He was carried by the Ravens defense the year he got his ring. One of the worst QBs ever to win a superbowl.