Tony Romo best Cowboy QB of all time

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Well, that is really not fair to Romo. While I would put Romo behind Staubach and Aikman, it's the teams that Staubach and Aikman were on that won Superbowls.

In their prime, all three of them, you put Romo on the teams Staubach and Aikman had and he wins some SB's. On the flip side of the coin, you put Staubach or Aikman on the teams Romo's had to play on and they don't win SB's just like Romo has not won one.

Staubach had Landry, Aikman had the Jimster...Romo? How many coaches has he had?

Plus, Staubach and Aikman played in an era of no salary cap and the GM's could go out and get the best talent money could by. Romo does not have that luxury. If they would let Jerry go and get any player he wanted to without the salary cap and I would bet he would surround Romo with the best of the best, but he can't .

So, in my mind, all three are phenomenal QB's and it's just unfair to all three to compare who is the best of the three. It's impossible.

Little to no common sense here.

I agree with you to a certain extent. Being behind two HOF's is not a slight to Romo, he would be the best QB in team history for many teams, but the Cowboys are not one of them. True, the Cowboys had better teams with Aikman and Staubach, but they were also part of the reason why those teams were great. There is no way that I can put Romo above those two guys no matter what the teams were for them. 3 rings for Aikman with a Hall of Fame jacket and two for Staubach with a Hall of Fame jacket, that's just the way it is. I'm not putting Romo ahead of those two guys without more playoff success.

An abundance of common sense here.

Dodger12

Reaction score
Brady and Rodgers wouldn't dominate in other eras? Sure Rodgers is struggling this season, but he's a 2x MVP. Brady would dominate in any era.

My point is that it would be much easier for yesterday's QB's to be successful in today's offense friendly NFL, as they were successful in eras when it was tougher to pass and they didn't have rules to protect the QB and rules that put defenses at a disadvantage. Brady and Rodgers are great QB's...no doubt. But I'm not sure their numbers would be anywhere near as gaudy as they are now and I'm not being critical of wither one.

Wayne02

Reaction score
My point is that it would be much easier for yesterday's QB's to be successful in today's offense friendly NFL, as they were successful in eras when it was tougher to pass and they didn't have rules to protect the QB and rules that put defenses at a disadvantage. Brady and Rodgers are great QB's...no doubt. But I'm not sure their numbers would be anywhere near as gaudy as they are now and I'm not being critical of wither one.

I'm with you on that. Negating the pick plays, and ticky tack calls against the defensive backs, as well as the rules that protect the QB would all hinder the QB's of today if they were playing back in the old days.

Stinger_Splash

Reaction score
Until he wins a super bowl, no way. He is the best passer to ever play for the Cowboys but not QB. It's a difference.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Until he wins a super bowl, no way. He is the best passer to ever play for the Cowboys but not QB. It's a difference.

No QB in the History of the NFL can win a SB all by his bad self. That's why there are 53 on the active roster...just sayin.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
All I will say on this as the following. And no, I have not read the rest of this thread.

1) No, he is not the greatest QB in team history.

2) He is what we are recognize him for what he is, right now. Frankly, we have never had a QB that had to do so much. Thus fans overrate him and really do not know or appreciate what a well rounded, well coached team looks like.

3) He is also the best QB and only QB of the FA era under Jerry Jones. For that, I elevate him. Over Danny White. Which is different from how I used to feel. Until this exposure this year, I felt he was about at Danny's level, but it is pretty clear how he has carried a lot of things in recent years and really doesn't deserve the criticisms. Jerry Jones, as much as he claims to love him, really has not done him justice.

4) He is number three. And given the fact there are two HoFers in front of him, no shame at all. He will never get into the Hall without a ring, unfortunately.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
All I will say on this as the following. And no, I have not read the rest of this thread.

1) No, he is not the greatest QB in team history.

2) He is what we are recognize him for what he is, right now. Frankly, we have never had a QB that had to do so much. Thus fans overrate him and really do not know or appreciate what a well rounded, well coached team looks like.

3) He is also the best QB and only QB of the FA era under Jerry Jones. For that, I elevate him. Over Danny White. Which is different from how I used to feel. Until this exposure this year, I felt he was about at Danny's level, but it is pretty clear how he has carried a lot of things in recent years and really doesn't deserve the criticisms. Jerry Jones, as much as he claims to love him, really has not done him justice.

4) He is number three. And given the fact there are two HoFers in front of him, no shame at all. He will never get into the Hall without a ring, unfortunately.

Cannot disagree with any of this....good post.

Alexander

Reaction score
Cannot disagree with any of this....good post.

Romo is a tragic figure to me at this point.

It is just so damn sad that he is as good and has given so much and he will never see the fruits of that labor.

In a way, Troy Aikman was so gifted and ended up with such a great team around him that it was easy.

I feel bad in a way that it took something like this year to make me get it, so to speak, but he deserves better than being held up as hero or goat in practically every game he plays.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Romo is a tragic figure to me at this point.

It is just so damn sad that he is as good and has given so much and he will never see the fruits of that labor.

In a way, Troy Aikman was so gifted and ended up with such a great team around him that it was easy.

I feel bad in a way that it took something like this year to make me get it, so to speak, but he deserves better than being held up as hero or goat in practically every game he plays.

Yeah...it opened a lot of eyes to the ones that thought or still think that Romo is not elite, which he is IMO. He is in the top 4 or 5 in the league. It's just that he has had to overcome some of the worst teams in History, like a defense that that was one of the worst in History! Why Romo could not overcome that is beyond me! lol

That being said, and I really don't like taking this stance, but Romo is not going to save this season and win a SB. Hell, he might not even get the chance as football is not a one man show.

Alexander

Reaction score
Yeah...it opened a lot of eyes to the ones that thought or still think that Romo is not elite, which he is IMO. He is in the top 4 or 5 in the league. It's just that he has had to overcome some of the worst teams in History, like a defense that that was one of the worst in History! Why Romo could not overcome that is beyond me! lol

That being said, and I really don't like taking this stance, but Romo is not going to save this season and win a SB. Hell, he might not even get the chance as football is not a one man show.

All in all, he was severely overrated in the prime of his career and now he has settled late, things are taking place.

All the "Romo-Friendly" years, the years spent with him trying to be Brady, and all of that. It is just too bad.

He has played the best that little Cinderella story should ever have been expected to play. A good chunk of the Garrett years were spent not helping him, but assembling talent in the wrong places.

That is why I suggest how tragic it is.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
All in all, he was severely overrated in the prime of his career and now he has settled late, things are taking place.

All the "Romo-Friendly" years, the years spent with him trying to be Brady, and all of that. It is just too bad.

He has played the best that little Cinderella story should ever have been expected to play. A good chunk of the Garrett years were spent not helping him, but assembling talent in the wrong places.

That is why I suggest how tragic it is.

I don't know if "tragic" is the word that needs to be used...I would say, "unfortunate" would be the word I use. I'll get lame-blasted for this, but if Romo had gone to a team like the Pats, he would have been successful...maybe not as successful as Brady, but he would not have had to come to a team that was in ruins.

What is that saying? "He was there at the right time." Well, Romo came at the wrong time in his life...but to come into the league as just some random QB to help the practice squad and become what he is...he overcame a lot of odds, it just to bad those odds are against him this season.

Fredd

Reaction score
Do you realize that Romo has more 4th comeback wins than Staubach and it's not even close?
[/quote]

Do you realize that there isn't anyone that is going to be alive for the rest of my life that I will think is better than Staubach? And I LOVE Tony Romo

Alexander

Reaction score
I don't know if "tragic" is the word that needs to be used...I would say, "unfortunate" would be the word I use. I'll get lame-blasted for this, but if Romo had gone to a team like the Pats, he would have been successful...maybe not as successful as Brady, but he would not have had to come to a team that was in ruins.

What is that saying? "He was there at the right time." Well, Romo came at the wrong time in his life...but to come into the league as just some random QB to help the practice squad and become what he is...he overcame a lot of odds, it just to bad those odds are against him this season.

I think tragic is appropriate.

I don't really care to discuss what he would have been if he went someplace else because that is just not relevant.

I can only talk about what he is and has been with this team. And what has been expected.

He got some good grooming from Parcells and David Lee. He has been handicapped since he had his miracle season in Parcells' final year.

Usually saviors are tragic figures, not unfortunate victims of circumstance.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
I think tragic is appropriate.

I don't really care to discuss what he would have been if he went someplace else because that is just not relevant.

I can only talk about what he is and has been with this team. And what has been expected.

He got some good grooming from Parcells and David Lee. He has been handicapped since he had his miracle season in Parcells' future year.

Usually saviors are tragic figures, not unfortunate victims of circumstance.

Very profound...and I have to agree with this post. I just wonder if this savior can turn it around during the time he still has. But, again, as I have always said, football is not a one man show and if Romo somehow can get to the prize that Staubach and Aikman did...he is going to the HOF. But, that is one tuff road to haul!

Yeah...come to think about it...it is tragic.

MichaelValentino

Reaction score
he threw those 5 INTs against the Chargers in the play-offs when that defense was getting sacks galore with Merrimen... Against the Giants in the SB, the front-line of the defense stifled that record-setting offense. When Manning faced Seattle's CBs that were allowed to play in the SB, that offense looked pedestrian....

Good points, Dave.

If I need to score 45 points against a team the caliber of the 2014 Colts in a conference championship game, give me Brady all day long. If I need QB to post a 154 QB rating or throw six TDs in a game and throw 25-35 perfect spirals with no pressure in his face, give me Brady.

But if I have to go to war against a withering defense with a virtually unblockable front four - say the 75 Steelers, 85 Bears or 00 Ravens - then I'll go to war with Roger Staubach any time over Brady. In fact, in a must win game, such as SBXIII which had team of the decade and one of the greatest dynasties of all time riding on it, the only QB in NFL history that I would take over Staubach for that one game is Joe Montana. And it's close.

If Brady wilted against the Chargers, was brought down to earth by the NY Giants and has not played his best ball in the face of constant pressure in his face, what would he have done vs any one of the four Pittsburgh SB teams, the 85 Bears, the 77 Cowboys, the 92 Cowboys or the 00 Ravens - teams which brought relentless pocket pressure? I don't see him posting gaudy stats against a team that would harass and punish him relentlessly for 60 minutes.

Roger had the heart of a lion. He had an indomitable will to win. And there was probably no single player the Steelers respected more than Staubach. People who didn't see the 70s Dallas teams might tend to think that with names like John Niland, Blaine Nye, Herbert Scott, Rayfield Wright and Pat Donovan, Staubach never got his jersey dirty. Not so.

The Cowboys had good to excellent O-lines in the 70s but the Raiders, Cardinals and Steelers had better lines, and the Rams' and Dolphins' lines were equally as good as the Cowboys'. If Roger had Erik Williams (vs. L.C. Greenwood) and Larry Allen (vs. Mean Joe Greene) maybe the Cowboys beat Pittsburgh in both of those SBs. But Roger had a quality line going up against arguably the best defensive front seven in history. Advantage, Pittsburgh. And let's not forget that Bradshaw had clearly better skill position players on his side in SBX and a better WR tandem in SBXIII (as much as I love Drew Pearson and Tony Hill, Swann-Stallworth are in Canton and they get the nod).

Maybe Montana wins one of those two SBs (I don't know), but I honestly don't see Brady keeping Dallas close in those games, especially in SBX.