Tough to knock Dak's contract now

Flamma

Reaction score
exactly.
Also the % of the cap that goes to the one guy the qb has to be considered. Also dead money if and when a team parts ways with him.
I think cleveland and cards just overpaid for their qb's, but now we have to wait and see if those 2 teams can get to or win a SB.
If so it will be worth it, if not the deals are big busts.

Same is true for dak, have to wait and see what results are going forward to judge his contract.

However you dont need a great qb if you can build a great defense. Dallas has a shot at doing that, if they do or not remains to be seen.
It takes more than a good qb to go to SB or win SB.
Coaching, defense,the other Off players all factor into that.

I think the best way is to build a great defense, and have a good but cheap QB, and good OL, 3 good wr.
And to have superior coaching.

Dallas coaching is Meh lol, OL is a ?, Defense is a maybe, and 3 good wr is a maybe, dak is good qb, but isnt cheap, and also I guess
having a good kicker and punter and ST is also part of the formula.

Agreed 100%. But if the Cowboys would have to luck into a championship. Like those baseball teams that don't spend money. They win a championship and immediately break up the team.

Yes, Dak is good enough if you put the right pieces around him. But do the Cowboys actively pursue this? They do not. We have to hope our draft picks are diamonds and lead us to the Super Bowl.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Jerry should have paid him earlier. Would have saved the Cowboys money.
Jerry kills me with his negotiation strategy. Talk tough, then roll over on his belly and pay up. :laugh:
See Zeke and Dak.
Maybe 4 or 5 million, wouldn't have been very significant.
If your a starting QB in this league you are going to get payed crazy money.
If your are the starting QB for the Dallas Cowboys, you are going to set new cap standards.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Jerry should have paid him earlier. Would have saved the Cowboys money.
Jerry kills me with his negotiation strategy. Talk tough, then roll over on his belly and pay up. :laugh:
See Zeke and Dak.
Appealing to public perception apparently is more important to our dysfunctional ownership. And it has cost us in the end on these key players contracts.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Agreed 100%. But if the Cowboys would have to luck into a championship. Like those baseball teams that don't spend money. They win a championship and immediately break up the team.

Yes, Dak is good enough if you put the right pieces around him. But do the Cowboys actively pursue this? They do not. We have to hope our draft picks are diamonds and lead us to the Super Bowl.
Daks contracts haven’t prevented us from building better defenses. Poor draft picks have.

Flamma

Reaction score
Daks contracts haven’t prevented us from building better defenses. Poor draft picks have.

But your original point was that it is hard to complain about his contract now. Did you just mean 2022? If that's the case, then yeah, you'd be right. But it's ugly going forward and we know why. So we need to hope those TV deals kick in within the next 2 years. I have to hope they will.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Not sure why some are so obsessed w/something they have absolutely no control over. Jealousy? EWS? (excessive whining syndrome) Who cares how much someone makes. Especially professional athletes. They've earned it. Move on already!

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'm not inclined to worry about Dak's paycheck, as long as he's working hard to improve himself. For a 4th round draft pick, it's tough to criticize what he's been able to accomplish thus far. The reliance upon unproven talent that he'll be charged to operate with this season isn't exactly the ideal situation to make the most of his opportunities. The Cowboys FO could have offered far more help in plugging up the holes left untended.

Whatever Dak accomplishes will be reliant upon unproven help provided by inexperienced wide receivers and a lead RB who's literally on his last legs to operate. I wish him success in his attempts to make the most of this recovering offense. It's anything but an ideal setup. The setup with the OL isn't nearly preset to operate at maximum productivity, either. Good luck Dak; you'll need plenty of that, for doggone sure.

Last edited:

Mr_437

Reaction score
Dak is not that guy. Why do yall obsess over trying to convince ppl he's good and his contract is justified? 1-13 vs non divisional playoff teams is that top 10?

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
With Dak barely still in the top 10 salaries now with only Wilson and Cousins at 35 million below him because they’re contracts are nearing their maturity we can finally put to rest how much Dak is being over paid.

And if Jethro had resigned Dak when he initially wanted what Wilson was making at 35 million we’d be in much better shape.

I suspect by the time Jackson, Burrows and Herbert resign their deals Dak won’t even be in top 10-12.

We need to stop calling these QB being paid Elite deals. They are Market Prices.

And we really need to stop looking at yearly average which means very little. Cap hits are what’s important.

Daks cap hit last year was 17 mil and 19 mil this year. Yes, 49 next year and 52 in 2024 but most likely will restructure or resign by then which with signing bonuses always pushes these huge contracts to back end.
yaCUxL4.jpg

Tampa Bay is laughing at everyone. They got the GOAT of QBs and he's not on that top 10, won a Super Bowl with him, and recruited even better talent.

giphy.gif

Flamma

Reaction score
Dak is not that guy. Why do yall obsess over trying to convince ppl he's good and his contract is justified? 1-13 vs non divisional playoff teams is that top 10?

The only part of your post I would question is that 1-13 stat. Not sure where you got that from.

Not sure why some are so obsessed w/something they have absolutely no control over. Jealousy? EWS? (excessive whining syndrome) Who cares how much someone makes. Especially professional athletes. They've earned it. Move on already!

We care because there is a salary cap. In 1993 I wanted Jerry to pay Emmitt anything he wanted. I couldn't understand why Jerry was playing hardball with one of, if not the primary reason the Cowboys won the SB. It remains the dumbest things he has ever done. It serves to show that there is a disconnect between business and football knowledge.

Flamma

Reaction score

Strike my last post. I see you said playoff teams. If that's an accurate statistic then that's pretty bad.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Just because a team is dumb enough to trade then pay Watson that crazy contract doesn't mean he's actually worth it. Dak really wasn't worth that contract and with no leverage he will fleece the cowboys for a new contract soon, and he won't be worth that amount either. Most of these guys aren't worth a max contract.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
What really matters is the cap hits. Someone please rank the top ten cap hits.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
merge thread

Plus the data in the OP is false anyway.
The "average" salary of some of those is lower because they were extensions after this year.
Stafford gets 23 mil this year, Carr gets 20, for example. Average that in with the extension and they drop way down

Ex. Stafford
(23+40+40+40+40=183)
183/ 5= 36.6 average

facts matter

Yes but also if your going to factor in future cap hits then your assuming they will actually get that before re working a contract. Daks contract looks bad because of furture cap hits that he most likley will not see.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
With Dak barely still in the top 10 salaries now with only Wilson and Cousins at 35 million below him because they’re contracts are nearing their maturity we can finally put to rest how much Dak is being over paid.

And if Jethro had resigned Dak when he initially wanted what Wilson was making at 35 million we’d be in much better shape.

I suspect by the time Jackson, Burrows and Herbert resign their deals Dak won’t even be in top 10-12.

We need to stop calling these QB being paid Elite deals. They are Market Prices.

And we really need to stop looking at yearly average which means very little. Cap hits are what’s important.

Daks cap hit last year was 17 mil and 19 mil this year. Yes, 49 next year and 52 in 2024 but most likely will restructure or resign by then which with signing bonuses always pushes these huge contracts to back end.
yaCUxL4.jpg
This is 100 pct true.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
Where are we without it? Depending on this dysfunctional ownership to draft or find another QB? Good luck with that. Like 1st rounds picks Lynch or Manziel .
We're better than the sorry second half that the Toad Hunter turned in last season, that's where we are. This team would have been more competitive if Rush played the entire second half. After he led this team against Minnesota, the Toad Hunter returned and just crapped down his legs the entire second half. This team went into the playoffs with blinkers on and the 9ers dominated this team and that should have never happened!

Haimerej

Reaction score

Not the biggest Dak fan, but that stat isn't correct unless it's only recent games. They beat GB and PIT in his rookie year alone.

Looking it up the Lions made the playoffs that year, too. So that's 3 wins.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Not the biggest Dak fan, but that stat isn't correct unless it's only recent games. They beat GB and PIT in his rookie year alone.

Looking it up the Lions made the playoffs that year, too. So that's 3 wins.
Please no facts to dispute the Dak trolls. Lol