moved into the world of electronics with this:

Vtech-TalkingBaseball.jpg

until I got to the ultimate toy I ever had:

Tecmo-Super-Bowl-NES-Cartri.jpg

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Heisenberg;4485262 said:

Wow, I've never seen that Skeletor. I had one, but his face wasn't that cartoonish looking. He looked like this one.

03_Skeletor_01__scaled_600.jpg

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
hutch1254;4485101 said:

Oh yeah. My brothers and dad used to play home run derby with the wiffle balls. Although we ended up switching to these nerf baseballs. They were spongy, but still sort of hard. They were also slightly oblong with allowed you to throw curves and other breaking balls. Of course you couldn't throw risers like you could with the wiffle balls.

I can't ever find those nerf baseballs anymore. Now all they have are nerf balls that look like actual baseball clones. Definitely not the same thing.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
Sam I Am;4485304 said:
I see. That was a mini version of him I guess.

motuc_skeletor4.jpg

The one on the left is the very first edition of the Skeletor action figure. They eventually looked like the one on the right.

I remember playing with that toy constantly and I even used to put chewed gum on his face to see what he'd look like if he had skin. I was a strange child.

Arch Stanton

it was the grave marked unknown right beside
Reaction score
I'd play for hours with my Aston Martin. I wish I had a mint condition one now....
1964_Corgi_Aston_Martin_DB5.jpg

kmp77

Reaction score
lane;4484949 said:
one of the 50 or so posters i had plastered in my bedroom as a teenager.

i kid you not...my whole ceiling and 85% of the walls were covered in female posters.

the other 15% were rock bands..

my older brother used to bring his friends to my room to show my decorating expertise..

the one in front looks like adrienne barbeau........

I could never hang girly posters up on my wall. I'd have my butt whipped for that. Such a sheltered childhood :(

jubal

Reaction score
trickblue;4484783 said:
Every day was a new adventure... I grew up in the late 60's early 70's and w did the same thing...

I wouldn't trade that for the video game genre in a New York minute...

Then you remember the streak and cb radios.

jubal

Reaction score
trickblue;4484212 said:
That thing was a blast, but rated one notch below yard darts for danger...

I took that thing in the eye well more than one time... :D

You would pump it up until you couldn't pump it any more, then hold it between your legs because the release was to hard to do with one hand...

Rocket between knees, head bent over watching, suddenly snap the release, experience temporary blindness for a while and subsequent black eye...

But it was all worth it... ;)[/QUOTE
I knew a kid that put a .22shell in a hole of his cushman scooter and shot it on the cap with his red Ryder BB gun , thought it would launch the lead,but the hull came back and creased his cheek,how did we live through the good ole days? That is where the "You will shoot your eye out",came from.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;4483448 said:
Anybody remember the green machine...that was fun. IIRC you could get a little faster in those but the fun thing was all of the turning and sliding you could get out of those things.

toys326d.jpg

That brings back some awesome memories.

dez_for_prez

Reaction score

compound.jpg

I remember getting this Christmas morning. Oh how sweet it was.

lego_logo.png

We used to have to eat in the kitchen because we had our dining room so full of lego. I still have it and my son is obsessed with the new Star Wars sets.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
Joe Realist;4484999 said:
I wish I still had this. It was the first system at the time (around 1981) that was not connected to your tv. I think it lasted 3 years.

I had that game. It was great. I was in elementary school at the time and my Dad would try to beat me at the football game sometimes. I think it was the only game at the time that only came with one controller also.

This is a great thread and I was just talking about it with family.

I have not seen anything that kids would not want today though. Nothing.

I could even add on the little green soldiers that I had as a kid. All off that stuff was fun.

I had most of the stuff including the stunt bike. If I knew it would be worth anything, I would have kept it. haha. I always loved getting science stuff too. It was cool to look at the microscope or telescope and figure out what was what.

Side note...a bicycle is not really considered a toy. And I grew up in a strict military family. We didn't wear helmets back then though unless you were on a halfpipe.

Times change. But kids will love stuff they get if they are not spoiled (I say that as a kid that had a Grandmother with a shopping habit).

Payton34Smith22

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;4483448 said:
Anybody remember the green machine...that was fun. IIRC you could get a little faster in those but the fun thing was all of the turning and sliding you could get out of those things.

First thing I thought of when I read the title to this thread lol! LOVED mine as a kid!

notherbob

Reaction score
You guys were all pretty lucky.

When I was a kid during WWII we were very poor and on the move a lot and most of the time Santa couldn't find us and besides,we didn't have a chimney anyway, so I only got three Christmas presents during my childhood and one was a book (Otto the Otter). My best present was a cap pistol and a box of five rolls of caps when I was nine in 1948. That was my best Christmas ever. We all loved Christmas anyway because of all the beautiful lights and songs. We never had a tree but I used to love to go around looking at other peoples trees, they were always so beautiful.

We never got any birthday presents or parties. Rich kids get toys, poor kids get beautiful memories and have fun however they can and it doesn't take much to make them happy, sometimes just a pat on the head and a smile is all it takes but we didn't get those very often either. We were never sad and were always happy anyway because life was always good because we made it good. We didn't see ourselves as poor and we felt sorry for those who were poor.

Happiness is always more a matter of attitude than physical possessions. A good attitude usually lasts longer than toys anyway. We were never envious of others and were happy to be together as a family, at least until the "Welfare Department" took us kids away from our mother and sent us to a boys home two states away when I was ten. Life became a lot more serious from then on. We didn't want for anything physical but we were no longer as happy as we had been but she came to see us every year or two and that always made us happy.

Life was good then and it is even better now because it doesn't take much to please me. A good attitude will get you through hard times better than anything else. It isn't really about toys, it's about being happy no matter what.

Life is good even at 73.