Trade Dak & Save 35 million on the cap

Adreme

Reaction score
That doesn't make any sense.

You could just as easily say that the price is higher in June because a team would be desperate for a QB if they whiffed in the draft. You'd effectively be adding Dak to the draft class.
Contenders, which is again the only market here, are not sitting around with no starting QB in June. That is not a thing. More importantly they are not sitting around with an extra 30m+ in cap space to sign the QB. They address the position in the first wave of free agency, or if you are resetting the draft but the teams drafting are not the market for a 50m dollar QB. Basically the market would be Falcons, Raiders (maybe), or Cardinals (but you would have to take on Kyler). None of those teams are going to be in position in June to make a trade for a QB, except for the Cardinals but you are just downgrading at QB then and still taking on a big contract you have to pay.

Sydla

Reaction score
You seriously think a team like Atlanta wouldn't have traded for a QB in June? This is a silly point.
What if Atlanta takes a QB at 8?

The point being missed here is that the pool of teams Dak would likely accept a trade to is very, very small. And some of those teams may make their QB decisions before June even rolls around - like take a QB early in the draft. Any June 1 attempt to trade him is going to be a situation where the pool is extremely limited which also means the compensation in return for Dak is likely to be depressed.

Now, that could change if a team gets desperate because their QB got hurt. But that's then dragging this out until August. Further, I suspect if Jerry is OK with Dak not being on the roster, he wants picks in this draft, not just picks in future drafts.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
A post June 1st trade would save 34
I think the likelihood of him being traded is extremely low. Most of the current contenders have their QB. It will be a decent QB draft for the league dregs. Chances are the Bears could put Fields in play. Everyone in the league knows Dallas wants to move on. The only scenario I see is if one of these young QBs on good teams like Love get hurt. Even then you are not getting a lot.

LysleE

Reaction score
Let Dak test the FA market…who would be willing to pay the $50-60MM he will be seeking for a QB who wasn’t able to lead his team to a playoff victory and played poorly in the playoffs with a team that was in all probability better than the team he would be going to…

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Let Dak test the FA market…who would be willing to pay the $50-60MM he will be seeking for a QB who wasn’t able to lead his team to a playoff victory and played poorly in the playoffs with a team that was in all probability better than the team he would be going to…
missed the last 10 years of QB contracts i see...

Redline360

Reaction score
What teams would want to take him anyways? For regular season success? Different story if he's had post season success or looked good even though the cowboys lost.

Hes only played good(well lights out) vs a bucs team that only made the playoffs due to their weak division. They were also wrecked with injuries entering the playoffs. Think one article mentioned they had practice squad players at several positions on the defense let alone OL

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
As a Dak Stan, I think something is cooking behind the scenes. Nobody on the team is defending Dak. He has been quiet. The front office is not saying a thing. There is no way the Cowboys can extend Dak with all this negativity. France won’t take a hometown discount in negotiations. CeeDee and Parsons want their extensions this offseason. It’s going to be a circus and the Joneses will benefit from the drama as usual.
Honestly, and being on the other side of the fence from you, hopefully, I agree with you. They have been very quiet regarding Dak. There is no noise from the organization at all and Dak's camp is in witness protection.

It all feels like they are trying to get a feel for everything that is going on not only in the media but around the team. I wouldn't be surprised if they are meeting with MM and players like CD and Micah, two players they are planning to invest heavily in for the future, to get their thoughts. It seems they are taking their time and hopefully weighing all options. Maybe some other teams have inquired about him, sensing there may be some uncertainty about their plans for him...

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
What teams would want to take him anyways? For regular season success? Different story if he's had post season success or looked good even though the cowboys lost.

Hes only played good(well lights out) vs a bucs team that only made the playoffs due to their weak division. They were also wrecked with injuries entering the playoffs. Think one article mentioned they had practice squad players at several positions on the defense let alone OL
again have you missed the last 10 years of QB doings in the NFL..Carson Wentz...thats just to start..

Redline360

Reaction score
again have you missed the last 10 years of QB doings in the NFL..Carson Wentz...thats just to start..
And how did that work out for Indy? Wentz had a decent/good season with them but they still decided to move on after one year.

Was a dumb move for them so we hoping a team does the same thing with Dak? Pretty sure the media laughed at the trade back then too

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
And how did that work out for Indy? Wentz had a decent/good season with them but they still decided to move on after one year.

Was a dumb move for them so we hoping a team does the same thing with Dak? Pretty sure the media laughed at the trade back then too
It’s worth noting from what I remember it’s been mental and personality with Wentz. No one seems to like him. Dak doesn’t have those issues.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score

lol the thing is thats just ONE example and with a MUCH LESSER QB... your kidding yourself if you think other GM's dont know what the problem is in Dallas....They would gladly take our "Problem QB" ask them how many would take our HOF GM?/?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A post June 1st trade would save over 34M on the 2024 cap.

There are GMs & Head Coaches that would give up significant draft capital for Dak.
- They're #1 goal is to keep their job longer and 12 win seasons will do that for teams that have not had winning seasons recently.
- Many GMs/HCs might be fired before they can draft and develop a 12 win QB.

Trey Lance has excellent physical talent. Almost all top QBs picked top 10 get more opportunities than he did in SF.
- GB's QB looked like a Deer in the Headlights when he started a game as a rookie.

I've studied all of the games that Trey Lance has played in the NFL including 4 starts and preseason games.
- His primary problem is over-confidence in his ability to fit the ball into tight windows.
- Reminds me of when Farve was in Atlanta.

In this era of power running QBs like Hurts and Josh Allen, Lance has a similar running style.
- Obviously not quite Josh Allen but I think he can do anything that Hurts can do as a runner.
- I've seen him flatten NFL Safeties and power thru a couple of well know LBs.

Lance always looked confiident.
It’s not the craziest idea I’ve heard. I would be in favor of this but I would also expect the team to take a step back in Lance’s first year unless we can bolster the running game and defense. Not impossible.

Like several have said, the trade clause in Dak’s contract means he would have to approve a trade. If I were in Dak’s shoes I would want to go somewhere else. Getting a fresh start with a contender who’s already close would give him a chance to prove he can have playoff success. Here, it gets harder every year to get that monkey off his back.

I’ve always believed Dak was better than most believe he is here. But sometimes moving on is better for both parties and I think that time may have happened here. Now do I think the Cowboys will move on from Dak? No.