Trade Deadline - RB? Ingram?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I don't follow college football at all due to the NCAA but I do trust nfldraftscout and they have 10 RBs with at least third round grades including 2 with grades of 1. They are not ignorant of the current RB climate in the draft.

In short the draft is deep in RB.

CowboyChris

Reaction score
I think we're fine at RB, but I wouldn't mind get a slot wr somewhere, and get rid of Beasley.

Leadbelly

Reaction score
Dunbar is meh to me but meundies has looked good when given a chance. If we were to trade for a RB though, I'd look for someone in the James Starks/Antone Smith mold. Someone who could take Dunbar's role but isn't a liability in pass protection and can take some lead rb snaps.

Washington's Roy Helu or the Jets' Chris Ivory come to mind. Maybe Darren McFadden?

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
The best kept secret is sitting on our practice roster his name is Ryan Williams. Hopefully he is not snagged from us.

jrumann59

Reaction score
That article says Ingram is ready to break out. Well he won't be breaking out backing up Murray. Even if they lighten Murray's work load a little they won't give Ingram enough carries to break out. Dallas would still be using Dunbar and Randle as well.

Rumor has it he has been ready to break out this season and last season.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
As the old saying goes, never trust a Klepto :D. But I think I could trust Randle to tote the rock for this team before Weeden to pass for it. So why trade for a RB?

At this point there are 2 injuries that could derail our season if they are season ending injuries.

1. Tony Romo (No brainer)

2. Tyron Smith (Especially with Free injured right now, moving Parnell to LT and then Martin to RT would just change this o-lines dynamic and therefore this teams overall dynamic)

In saying all of this, unless we get a sweetheart of a deal on a DE that:

1. Is a consummate team player to fit within this "team" culture.
2. Is an established dominant player at his position.
3. Is durable.
4. Is under the age of 28.
5. Is worth their cap charge.
6. Is able to hit the ground running, fitting this scheme.

Etc, etc.

When does that player become available on a deal?

This sin't the 90's and we don't have Jimmy to keep Charles Haley in check and there's a cap so we can't afford to let that player go when it's impossible to keep them in check.

In all due respect, I think we get the point, hopefully.........

joseephuss

Reaction score
Dunbar is meh to me but meundies has looked good when given a chance. If we were to trade for a RB though, I'd look for someone in the James Starks/Antone Smith mold. Someone who could take Dunbar's role but isn't a liability in pass protection and can take some lead rb snaps.

Washington's Roy Helu or the Jets' Chris Ivory come to mind. Maybe Darren McFadden?

The Jets aren't parting ways with Ivory. There is a rumor they are willing to trade Chris Johnson, but they expect a decent pick in return. Helu and McFadden will both be free agents at the end of the season.

BAZ

Drunken Mick
Reaction score
Ingrams a free agent next year, why rent for half a season?

BAZ

Drunken Mick
Reaction score
If they really wanted to take a flier on a RB, I think they could get MJD for next to nothing, he looks washed up in Oakland, but behind the Cowboys line he might show something. Not the worst insurance policy for a Murry late season ding, and you know he can pick up the blitz.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Ingram would actually be an excellent backup to Murray and fit for this running game. But I don't see any way this trade happens. Maybe he's someone they look at as a FA in the offseason.

Nothing against Randle, he's a nice backup and STs player.

kramskoi

Reaction score
4.2 ypc when running you is a surprise? What that tells me is he is not that explosive.

The thing about that average is that the Saints don't usually run until late (after they have a lead)...more times than not, they will ride the arm of Brees until its over, especially if they fall behind like they did against Dallas. Last Sunday they had ~20 yards rushing with 8 minutes left against Detroit...granted the Lions defense is lauded as stout against the run, they were picking up some big gains late in the fourth. Ingram has been sort of an enigma in New Orleans, and it has had a lot to do with Sproles, who's loss has been keenly felt the by Brees. Sproles was always ready on the check-down from Brees, with good YAC. I knew when they let him go that it would be a huge loss for that offense.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
As the old saying goes, never trust a Klepto :D. But I think I could trust Randle to tote the rock for this team before Weeden to pass for it. So why trade for a RB?

At this point there are 2 injuries that could derail our season if they are season ending injuries.

1. Tony Romo (No brainer)

2. Tyron Smith (Especially with Free injured right now, moving Parnell to LT and then Martin to RT would just change this o-lines dynamic and therefore this teams overall dynamic)

In saying all of this, unless we get a sweetheart of a deal on a DE that:

1. Is a consummate team player to fit within this "team" culture.
2. Is an established dominant player at his position.
3. Is durable.
4. Is under the age of 28.
5. Is worth their cap charge.
6. Is able to hit the ground running, fitting this scheme.

Etc, etc.

When does that player become available on a deal?

This sin't the 90's and we don't have Jimmy to keep Charles Haley in check and there's a cap so we can't afford to let that player go when it's impossible to keep them in check.

In all due respect, I think we get the point, hopefully.........

Good post.

We can neither have all-pro caliber players at every starting position, nor can we have starting caliber players at every back-up position.

Roster construction in the NFL is all about asset management, including risk management, under a limited budget.

The risks you point out are greater than the RB risk.

Considering that, you can bet that we have some kickers, punters, and deep snappers on speed-dial.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I actually like Ingram, but define mid-round pick?

He's a focal point in the Saints offense right now...I don't think you're going to pry him away for much less than a 2nd.