Trade option w Det is real

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I can't buy into the fact that our FO would let the whole NFL know we are coveting Pitts, furthermore the whole league knows we are taking a corner due to FA
They aren't. Just ignorant CZ members will believe anything they hear or read. Someone could say they heard on the radio that Dak's getting traded and they'd believe it.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
Intriguing. Adding Pitts would make Dallas elite at every skill position on the offense. If our Tackles are truly healed up then that would be a pretty unstoppable group.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
That's the issue with any team that might want to trade up for Sewell. Yes Sewell is a terrific prospect, but how much does drafting him vs drafting a guy like Slater actually translate to wins?
For what I gather, the difference between Sewell and Slater isn't that big. Sewell is the the higher upside prospect, where Slater is the higher floor. Slater actually tested out better athletically and his length is on par with Sewell's.

From the Cowboy perspective, drafting either player makes a ton of sense, but Slater might be the better fit due to positional flex. Connor Williams is a fa in another season, we have no idea if Biaz can stay healthy and be productive at Center. Play the best 5 and have a excellent insurance plan in place of injury and a future answer at the LT position. We saw what happened to the Chiefs in the Super Bowl, an injured line can derail a season.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Jerry going for the flash again smh. Pitts is such a dumb selection for DalASS

J-man

Reaction score
I'll say there is zero chance some radio talking head knows anything about anything one it comes to the draft plans of the Cowboys and Lions.

But if for some reason he's correct, Jerry is being beyond stupid. There is no reason what so ever to trade up in this draft. He should be considering trading back a few spots to gain picks, not the other way around.

morasp

Reaction score
Ten draft picks will not make the 53. Why not take 6,7 or 8 better players?
It's a numbers game, no team really knows for sure which 6,7,or 8 players will make the team. Even back when the draft was 12 rounds if they new Larry Brown would eventually be a Super Bowl MVP they probably would have drafted him sooner. If they knew Woodson would be as good as he was they would have taken him sooner also or Leon Lett.

Jfconrow

Reaction score
How about the 10th pick and Gallup for Pitts. Maybe throw in the 3rd round comp pick as a sweetener.
That’s the intel, they like a 1st and 3rd. I used to think trade Cooper, but then I thought about it more and if that’s the deal, we’re talking about Cooper + 3rd for the 10 spot or we have to pitch in the 10th pick. I like keeping Cooper, he’s only 26 and a baller.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They aren't. Just ignorant CZ members will believe anything they hear or read. Someone could say they heard on the radio that Dak's getting traded and they'd believe it.
Really Amigo? No sense calling fellow posters ignorant over a discussion about future draft picks.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's a numbers game, no team really knows for sure which 6,7,or 8 players will make the team. Even back when the draft was 12 rounds if they new Larry Brown would eventually be a Super Bowl MVP they probably would have drafted him sooner. If they knew Woodson would be as good as he was they would have taken him sooner also or Leon Lett.
I understand your thinking, but this doesn't dismiss taking a generational talent early if possible, even if you have to move up.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Really Amigo? No sense calling fellow posters ignorant over a discussion about future draft picks.
I didn't. I called them ignorant if they believe some yahoo on a radio station about the Cowboys are going to trade up to get Pitts.

morasp

Reaction score
I understand your thinking, but this doesn't dismiss taking a generational talent early if possible, even if you have to move up.
That's my disconnect, I honestly don't consider him a "generational talent". I think he's ranked a little higher than Surtain but not by that much. There is probably a bigger gap between him and Lamb than Surtain but Lamb didn't cost an extra draft pick. I get the mismatch argument that he could create but I also think our defense is going to lose a lot games for us if they don't get better. Getting a lock down CB on a rookie contract should be appealing to them especially with Dak's contract hit going up by $11 million next year and after seeing what the Bengals were willing to pay for Chido in FA when he only started 6 games last year and was pretty average. Pick 75 could potentially land another starting defensive player. in this draft.

Last edited:

Verdict

Reaction score
That's my disconnect, I honestly don't consider him a "generational talent". I think he's ranked a little higher than Surtain but not by that much. There is probably a bigger gap between him and Lamb than Surtain but Lamb didn't cost an extra draft pick. I get the mismatch argument that he could create but I also think our defense is going to lose a lot games for us if they don't get better. Getting a lock down CB on a rookie contract should be appealing to them especially with Dak's contract hit going up by $11 million next year and after seeing what the Bengals were willing to pay for Chido in FA when he only started 6 games last year and was pretty average. Pick 75 could potentially land another starting defensive player. in this draft.

I don’t think a corner is going to make a difference that a very solid DT would make on this defense.

817Gill

Reaction score
It could go either way.

He need the surgery about 3 years ago but declined Doctor's recommendations to have it.
- He also had a year off to help with other nagging injury issues that he has had.

On the other hand, back issues can be an instant ticket to retirement if luck goes against the player.

The fact that La'el is also an unknown at this point makes OT a definite consideration in the 1st.
- Something seems off with him other than just the injury issues.
Why’s that? He played great the first season of his extension and the only time he’s in the news is the car accident and fishing.

morasp

Reaction score
I don’t think a corner is going to make a difference that a very solid DT would make on this defense.
I think so too, a Chris Jones type or Aaron Donald would probably be the biggest upgrade they could make to the defense. Last year our interior pass rush was non existent. If Donald wasn't playing hurt in the Packers playoff game it might have been a different outcome. If they think Barmore could be that guy they should just draft him or even the guy from Washington in round 2.

Last edited:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Yes..

If there was a pass rusher available or a rare Free Safety i'd be all for moving up for that.

Let me teach you real quick on why you shouldn't value linebackers and corners with premium picks.

NFL defenses are just about stopping big plays.. If you're trying to play man defense against the Kansas City Chiefs they will burn you.

So most teams like to sit in cover 3. (The smart teams)

So when they do this they are basically testing a QB's patience and how willing they are to just take check downs and not test the seams.

The tactic that teams use is have the corners and Free Safety play Super deep. Linebackers will even drop deep and Strong Safety will cut things off underneath.

So it doesn't take a great defender to defend this way. Especially a cornerback.

So really the only positions of value on defense is your Free Safety who needs to cover a lot of ground and your guys who can get to the Quarterback. You don't need to spend a high picks on corners/linebackers to get a guy to do this job.

What would be incredibly moronic is if you pass up on a Franchise Tackle or a rare talent like Kyle Pitts for a Corner who is going to play in zone 85% of the time.

There is absolutely NOTHING you can teach anyone on here. Ive never met a poster so lost about football.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Ten draft picks will not make the 53. Why not take 6,7 or 8 better players?

Im all for moving up, just not in the first round. Someone will fall to us or we will get our pick of the top 1 or 2 defensive players in the draft. Might also be a nice trade back scenario.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
No, it was good players as well. Getting pressure on the QB.

Yes.. Getting pressure.. The part you could see on TV.

What you didn’t see on TV was the deep zones Tampa played.

KC was screwed with their gameplan because Tampa was willing to let them play underneath them all night. Instead they played with their ego and took an L.