Twitter: Trade Trey Lance away or keep him?

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
carson wentz is a known entity. and a terribly known entity who has still fetched picks. the league often values untapped potential. no clue what trey's value is, and it may be less than wentz, but not because of your reasoning.
An NFL team’s back up quarterback has to be able to be counted on to run the offense. Inexperienced, but with potential, does not fill that need. Keeping Lance another year means he holds down one of 53 roster spots at $5 million for the season. This was an absurd acquisition by a GM that only has the job because he owns the team.

Proof

Reaction score
An NFL team’s back up quarterback has to be able to be counted on to run the offense. Inexperienced, but with potential, does not fill that need. Keeping Lance another year means he holds down one of 53 roster spots at $5 million for the season. This was an absurd acquisition by a GM that only has the job because he owns the team.
inexperienced but with potential fills the exact same need as experienced but terrible, but with actual potential upside. i'm not defending dallas trading for him, i thought it was it was a terrible move. but carson wentz has zero to do with his value moving forward.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
teams make trades all the time because of circumstances. they were trying to do right by him. we've seen marginal qbs get traded for more than they're worth all the time. maybe they would have, maybe they wouldn't have but jerry closed the deal at the moment. all good.
Teams aren’t going to make a trade unless it benefits them, especially a player they gave up the farm to draft just 2 years earlier. QBs usually get traded for more than they’re worth because teams get desperate. However, Lance was having injury issues and hadn’t played well. When given the opportunity to compete for the starting job last summer he ended up the 3rd QB. This hurt his value.

Ring6

StarSchema
Reaction score
I'll just be fun to see if he makes a leap. Its ok to have one of those.

Proof

Reaction score
Teams aren’t going to make a trade unless it benefits them, especially a player they gave up the farm to draft just 2 years earlier. QBs usually get traded for more than they’re worth because teams get desperate. However, Lance was having injury issues and hadn’t played well. When given the opportunity to compete for the starting job last summer he ended up the 3rd QB. This hurt his value.
Teams make trades that don't benefit them constantly. Shanahan and Lynch specifically said they were granting Trey the trade so he could get a fresh start. Especially after their qb debacle last playoffs, they had every incentive to continue to stash him. But this conversation is boring. Thanks for the link

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
If this rumor is true and the Cowboys are offered draft capital for Trey Lance, what would you prefer the front office do?

Keep Trey Lance and see what we can get out of him and see what he has to find out whether or not he can realistically be the type of starter to get the Cowboys to the NFC Championship game and beyond? And keep him as backup in case Dak stinks it up in the regular season.

Or trade him for picks and use these picks to help rebuild, which would include using those draft picks to select a QB in the 2025 draft in the case Dak isn't the Cowboys QB beyond the 2024 season?

I think we need to see if we can develop him. Even if we give Dak a long-term deal, if we develop Lance, we can get more for him then than we would now. Of course, the risk is that he won't develop and therefore any value he'd have would be gone.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Teams make trades that don't benefit them constantly. Shanahan and Lynch specifically said they were granting Trey the trade so he could get a fresh start. Especially after their qb debacle last playoffs, they had every incentive to continue to stash him. But this conversation is boring. Thanks for the link
Can’t think of a team that’s ever traded a player that didn’t benefit them in some form or fashion. That’s the whole purpose of making a trade. Don’t see where coming to Dallas benefits Lance. We have Dak who will very likely be extended. His best opportunity was in SF completing against a 7th round pick and Sam Darnold who failed in NY and Carolina. You’re right this conversation is boring. Have a good one. :thumbup:

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
We are stuck with him. Zero trade value for a $5.3M emergency QB.
not true in the least, there is a temptation to find the next young QB who can thrive in the right system. Doesn't take too much to see why this is the growing trend, as it is coordinators...depending upon what happens with Dak we will have a better idea what the plan is, and either way he needs to play in the pre season

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
nice try troll, if you are ok with 1-16 vs 3 straight playoff appearances 36 wins and 2 division tiles , you have big issues and need to move on from following any team sports.. cornhole is your deal..a real person to blame, yourself..its a team game but no one wants a actual losing team because fans like you think the playoffs are bad!! just wow..:facepalm:
Fans like you are responsible for the 28 year drought. Not only are you completely happy with see-sawing mediocrity...you are livid when someone else is not! I mean, talk about having your cake and eating it too...Jerry gets a paying customer + loyal stooge.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Fans like you are responsible for the 28 year drought. Not only are you completely happy with see-sawing mediocrity...you are livid when someone else is not! I mean, talk about having your cake and eating it too...Jerry gets a paying customer + loyal stooge.
I'm just proud of you that you can even read his posts...I stopped that stuff a long time ago.

MikeT22

Reaction score
If he gets traded for a third or better, it’s going to be hilarious around here.

One guarantee is that even people who mocked the trade mercilessly will come out of the woodwork predicting Lance to be HOF bound and evidence of our own stupidity.
I love all these hypotheticals that get thrown around here that never happen. lol

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
I would absoutely cut/trade if possible Dak and roll with Lance. Maybe he turns into something, maybe not, but that is better than rolling with an expensive guy like Dak, we KNOW can't get it done, that is just throwing money away.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
I’m not sure Jerry is ready to move on yet. Nor do I think he’s looking at flipping him for a pick less than a year later. I think they want to see what they have in the 23 year old.

You have to think with how this contract stuff and the comments about the scheme and needing to get better in year 8 with the other guy that they have to be at least curious about what they have here.

ICP

Reaction score
We gave up a 4th for him so we will probably ask for a 7th in return

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
If this rumor is true and the Cowboys are offered draft capital for Trey Lance, what would you prefer the front office do?

Keep Trey Lance and see what we can get out of him and see what he has to find out whether or not he can realistically be the type of starter to get the Cowboys to the NFC Championship game and beyond? And keep him as backup in case Dak stinks it up in the regular season.

Or trade him for picks and use these picks to help rebuild, which would include using those draft picks to select a QB in the 2025 draft in the case Dak isn't the Cowboys QB beyond the 2024 season?

do we trade trey lance for peanuts? or popcorn?

right now he has no value.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Which means the move on from Cooper Rush. So he just replaces one of the roster spots.