Trade Up For Vita Vea?

texbumthelife

Reaction score
This guy isn't gonna make enough splash plays. I just don't see it. He's really not a very good pass rusher, he's just strong. He reminds me of Haloti Ngata. Great in a 34 but totally invisible in a 43.

cnuball21

Reaction score
This guy isn't gonna make enough splash plays. I just don't see it. He's really not a very good pass rusher, he's just strong. He reminds me of Haloti Ngata. Great in a 34 but totally invisible in a 43.

He was in the top 10 in run stuffs and pressures for interior DLmen last year...

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score

Everybody would cry tears of joy if we drafted the next Ngata. Goodness.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Everybody would cry tears of joy if we drafted the next Ngata. Goodness.

If we played a 34 I would encourage it. He's not gonna make enough plays in this defense though. If he's there at 19 I wouldn't be against taking him, but he's not worth a trade up.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Washington’s Vita Vea has so far shown well at the combine (225lbs x 41, 5.10secs / 40yds).

The latest NFL.com mock has him going at #17, but he could go higher.

Say, come draft day, he’s still on the board at #15. Would he be worth trading up for?

Opinions?

Sign Star Lotulelei, cut Dez, draft a WR or other high cost position.

1-tech type DTs often don't cost anywhere close to DEs, WRs, OTs, CBs, etc. in free agency. You get less value for your pick taking the more affordable positions. Snacks Harrison is probably the best 1-tech in the league but just averages 9M per. The best 3-tech, DE, CB etc. would average twice that amount.

kskboys

Reaction score
Haha

That's me laughing at you, because that's what people should do at you.
Absolutely. Esp if they have no clue what being quick off the ball even means and like to sheeple everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I think he will make his share of splash plays but that's not really what 1T is about. His presence will allow the dogs of war to hunt. Everyone else will be making splash plays because he changes the battlefield.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
30 + QB pressures last year...

According to who?

I don't buy it. How often does a player get that much "pressure" but that few sacks? I know sacks aren't everything, just making the point for arguments sake.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Unless Quentin Nelsen falls to 15 or 16, it aint happening. I see no scenario in which we would move up. Nelsen or MAYBE Ridley would be it.
I wouldn't even move up for Nelson; move down and take one of the next 2-3 OGs....all will start immediately. You don't have to have the very best guy at every position, especially on the OL, but we do need a starter, and there are plenty at OG; if I don't see a S or WR I'm in love with, I might even move down for DT or OG.

Dalmations202

Reaction score

1-tech type DTs often don't cost anywhere close to DEs, WRs, OTs, CBs, etc. in free agency. You get less value for your pick taking the more affordable positions. Snacks Harrison is probably the best 1-tech in the league but just averages 9M per. The best 3-tech, DE, CB etc. would average twice that amount.
I agree here, and this is why I really think they just need to sign POE and go on. Problem solved.
With this said, why does Dallas even consider signing Martin to a huge contract then. Guards are just huge fat boys who play on the inside. Tackles are much more worthy of big dollars. Why would a team like Dallas EVER consider taking a Guard with a 1st round pick?

The Hypocrisy of thinking that taking Guards and spending huge $$$$$ on them, but considering the guy who lines up opposite them a lesser player is just crazy to me.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree here, and this is why I really think they just need to sign POE and go on. Problem solved.
With this said, why does Dallas even consider signing Martin to a huge contract then. Guards are just huge fat boys who play on the inside. Tackles are much more worthy of big dollars. Why would a team like Dallas EVER consider taking a Guard with a 1st round pick?

The Hypocrisy of thinking that taking Guards and spending huge $$$$$ on them, but considering the guy who lines up opposite them a lesser player is just crazy to me.

The exception to the rule is All Pro+ players like Martin. Martin was the closest thing to a guaranteed can't miss player that it was the correct decision to draft him. Same with the contract. It's not ideal to pay huge money to a Guard but this team needs as many super star type players as possible.

I definity wouldn't double down and draft another Guard in the 1st this year unless they really just weren't comfortable with the other options and couldn't trade back. I don't want to over-think the strategy to the point of making a bad pick, but I would definitely try to avoid drafting another 1st round Guard if possible.

Dalmations202

Reaction score
The exception to the rule is All Pro+ players like Martin. Martin was the closest thing to a guaranteed can't miss player that it was the correct decision to draft him. Same with the contract. It's not ideal to pay huge money to a Guard but this team needs as many super star type players as possible.

I definity wouldn't double down and draft another Guard in the 1st this year unless they really just weren't comfortable with the other options and couldn't trade back. I don't want to over-think the strategy to the point of making a bad pick, but I would definitely try to avoid drafting another 1st round Guard if possible.
So Dallas should draft a "can't miss" star type DT player then, IMO.

kskboys

Reaction score

Yeah, and I think you may not understand what an OG means to a team.

phildadon86

Reaction score

Lol. I love your posts. But does every post have to involve cutting Dez? Are you trying mental tricks hoping if you say it enough it will use the force to take over Jerry and cut him?

Dalmations202

Reaction score
Yeah, and I think you may not understand what an OG means to a team.
After coaching kids teams for 20+ years, I understand what a guard means.
I also understand that you build from the trenches, and when you skimp there....you get mediocrity.

I have no problem with spending money on the Guards and Center.
I have a problem with not spending money on the DL.

Just like an OL makies the RB, QB, and WR's much better, the DL makes the LBs, and DBs better.

Dallas needs a stud interior DL, and needs to get it instead of skimping and calling it a position to skimp on. I understand Marinelli wanting quickness and pressure, but he also needs strength and size and I think he forgets this sometimes.

** my apologies, the sarcasm I was writing apparently didn't show up in the previous post.

cnuball21

Reaction score
According to who?

I don't buy it. How often does a player get that much "pressure" but that few sacks? I know sacks aren't everything, just making the point for arguments sake.[/QUOTE

You don't have to sack the QB to effect him, pressures mess up the timing as well.