Trent Dilfer Predicts Romo as MVP

superpunk

Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;2457039 said:
Give him Terrell Owens, Jason Witten and Roy Williams and see what kind of numbers he puts up.

Or why not give him Tiki Barber, Plaxico Burress, Amani Toomer and Jeremy Shockey? Or first and second round picks like Steve Smith and Sinorice Moss? Or why don't we give Romo the best running game in the NFL and see what sort of numbers he puts up behind that line the Giants have?

Pretty pointless excercise, engaged in right there.

The bottom line is Romo performs better than anyone in the NFL, when he's been on the field this season.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
I think the only way Romo gets real consideration is if Dallas goes at least 3-1 in December with the loss being a close one AND he keeps putting up the same stats that he did in the previous two games. If Dallas sweeps those four games and it is in Romo's back, then he could easily leap over Favre and Warner.

I just can't see Brees getting it due to his team's record.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
I didn't realize Jeremy Shockey and Tiki Barber were playing for the Giants this season.

The bottom line is that Eli Manning is one of the main reasons the Giants are playing great football.

Furthermore, I only stated that he should warrant some consideration. This doesn't mean that he is hand's down the favorite or that Tony Romo shouldn't be considered.

superpunk

Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;2457387 said:
I didn't realize Jeremy Shockey and Tiki Barber were playing for the Giants this season.

The bottom line is that Eli Manning is one of the main reasons the Giants are playing great football.

Furthermore, I only stated that he should warrant some consideration. This doesn't mean that he is hand's down the favorite or that Tony Romo shouldn't be considered.

The bottom line is Manning has plenty of weapons, and has HAD plenty of weapons in the pass, certainly as much or more than Romo has, especially when you look at how dominant the Giants run game and offensive line has been during his career. So it makes absolutely no sense to put Romo's weapons up as some sort of bonus towards Eli when he's had just as much or more of an advantage when it comes to supporting cast as Romo, and STILL can't touch Romo's numbers.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
I don't believe Eli Manning is surrounded with just as much talent as the Dallas Cowboys.

Looking at both offenses, what position do the Giants have the edge?

With Felix Jones and Marion Barber III injured, maybe at running back.

This team fielded 13 Pro Bowl players last season. People may claim that the Pro Bowl is a joke, but if you look at performance, I bet you will find that most of our players deserved the nod.

superpunk

Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;2457395 said:
I don't believe Eli Manning is surrounded with just as much talent as the Dallas Cowboys.

Looking at both offenses, what position do the Giants have the edge?

With Felix Jones and Marion Barber III injured, maybe at running back.

This team fielded 13 Pro Bowl players last season. People may claim that the Pro Bowl is a joke, but if you look at performance, I bet you will find that most of our players deserved the nod.
I'm really not sure how much more clear I can make it.

Their offensive line and running game is heads and shoulders above ours. It isn't even close. We have better receivers, but it's not like Plax and Smith and Moss and Toomer are garbage - they're all good receivers. So Manning has a running game that takes all the focus of opposing defenses, and very good receivers to throw to. Romo has a line that has been inconsistent and injured, a good RB, and fantastic receivers to throw to.

I think the playing field is about even - and Eli has been surrounded by that sort of talent his ENTIRE career.

So let's not perpetuate this perception that Eli is doing almost as much as Romo with less. He's not. Romo is the Dallas Cowboys, as much as any one factor can be. The Giants are their offensive line and running game.

Even with as much talent overall, Eli can't match Romo's production, and he's not nearly as important to his team. Eli's playing good football this year, but he's no Tony Romo.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
maikeru-sama's original post said:
If the Jets make it into the Playoffs, I would have to give Brett Favre the edge.

Also, I know most will be upset, but I think at some point you have to start taking a hard look at Eli Manning as well.

The statement above doesn't mean that Eli Manning is your MVP or that Tony Romo isn't deserving of the MVP. I am merely stating that a case could be made that Eli Manning could be league MVP.

Similar to the same condescending tone directed towards me, I don't know how much CLEARER I can make it.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;2457387 said:

I didn't realize Eli was playing Defense and running the ball.

superpunk

Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;2457412 said:
The statement above doesn't mean that Eli Manning is your MVP or that Tony Romo isn't deserving of the MVP. I am merely stating that a case could be made that Eli Manning could be league MVP.

Similar to the same condescending tone directed towards me, I don't know how much CLEARER I can make it.
You also implied that Eli was at some sort of disadvantage because he didn't have the talent around him that Tony does.

Give him Terrell Owens, Jason Witten and Roy Williams and see what kind of numbers he puts up.

Aside from the fact that Roy Williams really shouldn't even be included in that sort of conversation, the idea that Eli is playing decent despite not having alot of talent around him (or at least as much as Tony) is simply nonsense.

The Panch

Reaction score
superpunk;2457392 said:
The bottom line is Manning has plenty of weapons, and has HAD plenty of weapons in the pass, certainly as much or more than Romo has, especially when you look at how dominant the Giants run game and offensive line has been during his career. So it makes absolutely no sense to put Romo's weapons up as some sort of bonus towards Eli when he's had just as much or more of an advantage when it comes to supporting cast as Romo, and STILL can't touch Romo's numbers.
Quit using past tense as an excuse, cause he's not the same Qb he was when he had Barber and Shockey, and Toomer is nowhere near the receiver he once was. He hasnt even had a 100 yard game since Wk #2 of '06. And you cant compare the affect a dominant running game has on a QB that a dominant receiving corp does. Of course a QB benefits when he doesnt have to throw it every down, but he benefits even more when he has arguably the best Tight End and Wide receiver in football.

There's no question that Id rather have Romo QBing my team, but the reality is even when you take away the games Blow Johnson was in the line up, the Giants still put up more points with Manning under snap than the Boys do with Romo and Eli has finally got his turnover issues together. Romo still hasnt. Romo has the same number of INTs and 2 more fumbles than Eli despite playing in three fewer games.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
The Panch;2457444 said:
Quit using past tense as an excuse, cause he's not the same Qb he was when he had Barber and Shockey, and Toomer is nowhere near the receiver he once was. He hasnt even had a 100 yard game since Wk #2 of '06. And you cant compare the affect a dominant running game has on a QB that a dominant receiving corp does. Of course a QB benefits when he doesnt have to throw it every down, but he benefits even more when he has arguably the best Tight End and Wide receiver in football.

There's no question that Id rather have Romo QBing my team, but the reality is even when you take away the games Blow Johnson was in the line up, the Giants still put up more points with Manning under snap than the Boys do with Romo and Eli has finally got his turnover issues together. Romo still hasnt. Romo has the same number of INTs and 2 more fumbles than Eli despite playing in three fewer games.

If you would take Romo > Manning how could you say that you would vote Manning as MVP > Romo ?

The Panch

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2457699 said:
If you would take Romo > Manning how could you say that you would vote Manning as MVP > Romo ?
Cause MVP isnt just about the individual, it's about the team. Plus, Romo missed 3 games and still has more turnovers than Eli.

And I never said I'd vote Eli the MVP. I dont even think he should be in the pro bowl ahead of Warner, Brees, and Romo.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
The Panch;2457713 said:
Cause MVP isnt just about the individual, it's about the team. Plus, Romo missed 3 games and still has more turnovers than Eli.
You've got it backwards. Yes, it is about the team. But it's about what player makes their team better, not what team makes the player better.

And I never said I'd vote Eli the MVP. I dont even think he should be in the pro bowl ahead of Warner, Brees, and Romo.
ORLY?

The Panch;2456585 said:
If the polls were to end today, I wouldnt even have Romo in the pro bowl. Id have Warner, Brees and yes, Eli ahead of him (even tho he doesnt deserve MVP mention when he has the best O-line and running game in football making things easier for him), but if he can run the table, Romo should be the MVP.

JohnnyHopkins

Reaction score
theogt;2457726 said:
You've got it backwards. Yes, it is about the team. But it's about what player makes their team better, not what team makes the player better.

ORLY?

The wasn't "The Panch" that wrote that last comment, it was his Partner, "The John"

chips.jpg

The Panch

Reaction score
theogt;2457726 said:

ORLY?
Well if it isnt my favorite nut hugger.

1. They hadnt made him better for years. There hasnt been any drastic change in the offense in the past year and yet the production has vastly improved and that's cause of one reason, Eli's playing better football.

2. I said if the polls end today. I fully expect Romo to pass him in the month of December.

The Panch

Reaction score
Joe Rod;2457744 said:
The wasn't "The Panch" that wrote that last comment, it was his Partner, "The John"

chips.jpg
As opposed to your "partner", theogt?

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Tony approves of this thread.

http://img231.*************/img231/2885/ch21thunov272008050735pqq7.jpg

JohnnyHopkins

Reaction score
The Panch;2457857 said:
As opposed to your "partner", theogt?

I'm actually in the Accounting profession, so I don't think we could form a successful LLP. If that is your best advice then I just won't try to stick up for you anymore (I never liked your show anyway).