Trey Lance and Cooper Rush are competing for a roster spot?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Took the QB1 job from JimmyG.
Below is the official 'Trey Lance took Jimmy Garoppolo' timeline:

April 29, 2021 - San Francisco drafts Lance investing first round draft picks in securing him. Some observers would say such a humongous draft investment guarantees he will eventually start but I digress.

~2021 regular season~

Weeks 1 - 4: Garoppolo starts. He suffers a calf injury versus Seatle in Week 4.

Week 5: Lance starts against Arizona due to Garoppolo's injury.

Weeks 6 - 15: Garoppolo starts. He suffers a thumb injury versus Tennessee in Week 15.

Week 16: Lance starts against Houston due to Garoppolo's injury.

Weeks 17 + 3 playoff games: Garoppolo starts.

~July 26, 2022~

~July 27, 2022~

49ers' first day of training camp opens

I already knew Dallas had a weird definition for 'took'. Now I know at least one other team enjoys a similar contradiction with the word. Specifically, the contradictory definition means a depth chart player, neither competes against the starter in practice nor supplants the starter due to in-game level of play.

The modern usage of the word 'took' means the depth chart player receives the starting position without coaching evaluation via head-to-head competition. That makes perfect sense in Lance's case because, again, a franchise does not draft a player using three first round selections in order to forever ride the bench.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Imagine a universe where a former top pick that was just traded for a 4 competes for a job with Cooper Rush.
You don't have to imagine it....it's right here. Is there a problem?

And who said he's only competing with Cooper? YOU? Well that settles it then.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Below is the official 'Trey Lance took Jimmy Garoppolo' timeline:

April 29, 2021 - San Francisco drafts Lance investing first round draft picks in securing him. Some observers would say such a humongous draft investment guarantees he will eventually start but I digress.

~2021 regular season~

Weeks 1 - 4: Garoppolo starts. He suffers a calf injury versus Seatle in Week 4.

Week 5: Lance starts against Arizona due to Garoppolo's injury.

Weeks 6 - 15: Garoppolo starts. He suffers a thumb injury versus Tennessee in Week 15.

Week 16: Lance starts against Houston due to Garoppolo's injury.

Weeks 17 + 3 playoff games: Garoppolo starts.

~July 26, 2022~

~July 27, 2022~

49ers' first day of training camp opens

I already knew Dallas had a weird definition for 'took'. Now I know at least one other team enjoys a similar contradiction with the word. Specifically, the contradictory definition means a depth chart player, neither competes against the starter in practice nor supplants the starter due to in-game level of play.

The modern usage of the word 'took' means the depth chart player receives the starting position without coaching evaluation via head-to-head competition. That makes perfect sense in Lance's case because, again, a franchise does not draft a player using three first round selections in order to forever ride the bench.

I think I know what you are trying to demonstrate. But I think it also shows Trey's dysfunctional beginnings. Sounds like complete chaos.

Maybe if there is some stability he can succeed?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
We have a quality QB in Lance.

3rd overall pick in the 2021 draft.

Took the QB1 job from JimmyG.

We do not have a playoff winning QB1 with Dak.

And he is too expensive.

If Dak gets another contract, Jerry will have spent nearly Half a Billion on Dak.

Insane.

Or pay the Kid. He’s cheap and talented.
:lmao: :lmao:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think I know what you are trying to demonstrate. But I think it also shows Trey's dysfunctional beginnings. Sounds like complete chaos.

Maybe if there is some stability he can succeed?
I am not concerned about his success or failure. My illustration shows Lance did not take Garappolo's spot. Anyone, saying Lance took the job, should ask themselves, "What exactly did Lance do to take Garappolo's job?" The only answer is nothing. He received the starting job the exact moment he was drafted. No one can take something they did not work for.

Chasing6

Reaction score
There's no question but what the competition between Lance and whomever the front office decides to have him compete with, will be of interest.

Whether it's Cooper Rush or even Dak Prescott, himself, that competition should be one that has every member of this website anxious to notice.
I have NO interest whatsoever in Trance.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I highly doubt there is a competition for QB2 on this team. QB2 is Lance. Lance would have to be dog awful in PS to change that. If Lance shows anything positive in Camp and PS, then Rush is gone, even if Rush shows more during the same time. Jerry didn't give a 4th to cut bait the next year. Lance will be on this team unless he is pitiful during camp and PS.
Trance will show promise running the ball effectively, which Rush can not do. However, Trance is still not a QB.

Chasing6

Reaction score
That's an even dumber question.

Of course a younger QB with allegedly higher ceiling/ more athletic...could EASILY become better than a "noodle-arm" backup no other team wanted. With a year of quality training and coaching.
Trance is still in the basement regardless of how high is potential ceiling might be.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Imagine a universe where a former top pick that was just traded for a 4 competes for a job with Cooper Rush.
Imagine a universe where the very last pick in the NFL draft, Mr. Irrelevant just led his team to a Super Bowl. There’s been a lot of QBs that were top draft picks have to compete for jobs because they went bust. That happens all the time. Lance is lucky he’s being given another opportunity. If he fails here, he may be looking for a job in the UFL next year.

Chasing6

Reaction score
The ratio of percentage of snaps during PS will be a slight early indicator.
If it was a true QB2 battle they would get equal opportunities. We already know GM Jethro is heavily stacking the deck for Trance. If Trance can't beat out Rush his career maybe over.

Chasing6

Reaction score
"
2023 season: The Cowboys gave up a fourth-round pick to acquire him on the eve of the team’s final preseason game. That means he was learning Mike McCarthy’s offense on the fly during the regular season.

It should come as no surprise that means he was inactive all season. He was listed as the team’s emergency third quarterback for every game."

It was "the plan" all along.
If you say so.

Some real QB's can pick up an offense well enough in a few weeks. The season was 18 weeks long. Trance never sniffed QB2 and rarely even ran the scout team unless our D need a running QB look.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am not concerned about his success or failure. My illustration shows Lance did not take Garappolo's spot. Anyone, saying Lance took the job, should ask themselves, "What exactly did Lance do to take Garappolo's job?" The only answer is nothing. He received the starting job the exact moment he was drafted. No one can take something they did not work for.
Yep....I get it. Some predetermination and injury.

But you also stated a possible case for why he never really developed there. Even a Joe Borrow has some growing pains.

ShortRound

Reaction score
I mean are they going to decide on actual play and merit? Or will they choose based on what Jerry wants?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But you also stated a possible case for why he never really developed there. Even a Joe Borrow has some growing pains.
Certainly, but that is probable conjecture that interests you. Me? My interest was solely grabbed by the continuing notion players take jobs from starters without doing anything to take them.

'Take' has been twisted into a made up contronym that has repeatedly resurfaced in conversations here for nearly eight years. Replace 'INCONCEIVABLE' with 'take' and the automatic The Princess Bride quote would be, "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." lol.