Trey Lance and Cooper Rush are competing for a roster spot?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
There’s really only been one: Duncanlso.

He’s been pushing Lance a future star and that he will soon replace Dak. Whether he’s trolling or not is moot, but he seems to be a pretty big fan of his.
No, there’s a couple more in this thread.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
If they start the regular season and Dak still hasn’t been extended, they may have to play Lance at some point just to see what they have in him in the event Dak decides to test free agency.
I think you're getting too far ahead of things and need to wait patiently to see how things develop before getting into panic mode. Calm down.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Because he rode the pine as #3. :rolleyes:
"
2023 season: The Cowboys gave up a fourth-round pick to acquire him on the eve of the team’s final preseason game. That means he was learning Mike McCarthy’s offense on the fly during the regular season.

It should come as no surprise that means he was inactive all season. He was listed as the team’s emergency third quarterback for every game."

It was "the plan" all along.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
"
2023 season: The Cowboys gave up a fourth-round pick to acquire him on the eve of the team’s final preseason game. That means he was learning Mike McCarthy’s offense on the fly during the regular season.

It should come as no surprise that means he was inactive all season. He was listed as the team’s emergency third quarterback for every game."

It was "the plan" all along.
Is there a plan to get him on the field in a real game ever? Lance is a free agent in 8 months. There is no reason for him to sign with the Cowboys if he’s never going to be given a chance to play. At this point even he doesn’t know if he can be a productive player in the NFL.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Trey Lance and Cooper Rush are competing for a roster spot?​

Jerry Jones' lips may have been moving. It is irrelevant whatever words may have escaped them. Trey Lance's roster spot is 100% assured. Cooper Rush's roster spot may not be as secure but he has a good chance of locking up the third string slot based solely on past performance. Just my opinion.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is there a plan to get him on the field in a real game ever? Lance is a free agent in 8 months. There is no reason for him to sign with the Cowboys if he’s never going to be given a chance to play. At this point even he doesn’t know if he can be a productive player in the NFL.
Hard to say. I haven't found any citations of it and I'm not about to make it up like others with an agenda are willing to do.

I have found where talking heads say it is a very confusing, difficult dilemma. There's not enough overlap of their contracts to do it smoothly. A lot of people wring their hands about "wasting a 4th" for him...but we (and other teams too)...have wasted way more for less.

I know Jerry won't cede easily, but I'd have to say if he just doesn't fit or perform well enough in practices, they'd release him and try again next year. He must be showing something.

We'll just have to let it play out and may the best QB win.

Adreme

Reaction score
Probably not. I also doubt there will be a single team that offers him any chance to start unless he actually plays this year, which would almost certainly be due to injury (which is not that unlikely when you realize only 9 starting QBs started all 17 games with 3 more who rested final week).

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I think you're getting too far ahead of things and need to wait patiently to see how things develop before getting into panic mode. Calm down.
Where am I getting too far ahead and panicking? :huh: I’m just letting you know what could transpire if we go into the regular season and Dak’s not extended. If they offer him a deal during the season and he turns it down then he’s going to test for agency and they’ll probably lose him. Unless Dak is having a great season and so is the team they may want to play Lance a game or two just to see how he performs in the regular season against starting players. They have to know if they should re-sign him and what they might need to do in the draft and free agency. They can’t just put all their chips on Lance based on what he does in preseason this summer.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
All the Lance will be our starting QB predictions are wishful thinking by those who hate Dak.
Sure.

Let’s give Dak another Mega Million$ contract.

We still have $100+ million in dead cap to burn through because of his last contract.

I’m sure it will workout ok.

Or we start the Kid at QB1.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
We were talking about after he was traded to the Cowboys. Rocky suggests that the fact he never was listed as #2 means that he couldn't win the job. I tried to point out several other factors that likely played in to Lance remaining below Rush on the depth chart. I look forward to a real competition this year.
Yup.

They were never going to push Dak with Lance last season.

The Kid missed all of our camp.

Also Jerry had hope that Dak would finally earn that pay check with a playoff run.

That dream ended with Man-Crying late in the 3rd QTR.

Try humiliating your work boss in front of millions.

Then go ask for a pay raise.

LOL!

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Sure.

We still have $100+ million in dead cap to burn through because of his last contract.

The NFL is about winning games and you can’t win consistently without a quality QB. You can’t start the Kid if he isn’t any good. Currently, we have nothing behind Dak.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
The NFL is about winning games and you can’t win consistently without a quality QB. You can’t start the Kid if he isn’t any good. Currently, we have nothing behind Dak.
We have a quality QB in Lance.

3rd overall pick in the 2021 draft.

Took the QB1 job from JimmyG.

We do not have a playoff winning QB1 with Dak.

And he is too expensive.

If Dak gets another contract, Jerry will have spent nearly Half a Billion on Dak.

Insane.

Or pay the Kid. He’s cheap and talented.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
We have a quality QB in Lance.

3rd overall pick in the 2021 draft.

Took the QB1 job from JimmyG.

We do not have a playoff winning QB1 with Dak.

And he is too expensive.

If Dak gets another contract, Jerry will have spent nearly Half a Billion on Dak.

Insane.

Or pay the Kid. He’s cheap and talented.
Lance is a quality QB? Are you serious? lol He was a bust in San Francisco with an 84.5 career passer rating. He wasn’t even completing 55% of his passes. He couldn’t even win the backup job. He was dumped for a fourth round pick. No one offered anything better. Where have you been? You might want to do some research because Lance never took the job from Jimmy G. Lance was handed the job after the 49ers decided to move on from Jimmy G. There was never a competition between the two.

https://syndication.bleacherreport....y-lance-as-starter-amid-trade-rumors.amp.html

Last edited:

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We were talking about after he was traded to the Cowboys. Rocky suggests that the fact he never was listed as #2 means that he couldn't win the job. I tried to point out several other factors that likely played in to Lance remaining below Rush on the depth chart. I look forward to a real competition this year.
Yes...like the fact Jerry signed him on the last night of the pre season?

A sober person would fully understand, a "project" isn't gonna replace a prove backup veteran.

Trey has had the regular season and off season. Now is the time to show something. "REAL" Cowboys fans should be guardedly hopeful. All vet QB's eventually get replaced, one way or another. Dak and his...biggest fans...should know this.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lance is a quality QB? Are you serious? lol He was a bust in San Francisco with an 84.5 career passer rating. He wasn’t even completing 55% of his passes. He couldn’t even win the backup job. He was dumped for a fourth round pick. No one offered anything better. Where have you been? You might want to do some research because Lance never took the job from Jimmy G. Lance was handed the job after the 49ers decided to move on from Jimmy G. There was never a competition between the two.

https://syndication.bleacherreport....y-lance-as-starter-amid-trade-rumors.amp.html
He got replaced by a QB who took them to the super bowl.

Dak took Romo's job and got us...where?

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There was definitely one predicting that Lance would take over for Dak during the season and lead us deep into the playoffs. Wish I would’ve bookmarked the post. There’s also been predictions with at least a couple of fans saying he’s our future QB. Pretty easy to predict Dak will be the starting QB in 2024.
Just ONE? That is you reason for a crusade? One you can't even remember.

VERY powerful testimony! We are all convinced.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Sure.

Can’t make this stuff up.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Imagine a universe where a former top pick that was just traded for a 4 competes for a job with Cooper Rush.