Trey Lance and Cooper Rush are competing for a roster spot?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I have been saying this.......Jerry was clear, that Lance would compete with Rush for a backup position behind Dak.
  • No way Rush stays on the team if he loses the backup job to Lance
  • If Lance can't beat Rush after a year, is he still worth a roster spot?
  • We know Rush can win games
  • The competition is whether Lance can be a future NFL starter vs a career backup.
In other words, Lance has little or no value to us if he doesn't show enough as a potential starter.

Trey Lance needs a backup and Cooper Rush is a good one, so I disagree with your first point. If Lance can't beat Rush after a year, yes I believe he is still worth completing his contract. Rush is no slouch as a backup QB. If Lance can't win the QB2 job here in competition with Cooper Rush then he's done here. If that happened we don't care about his career after this season. He will be gone from this roster. So I guess we agree with that point.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Trey Lance needs a backup and Cooper Rush is a good one, so I disagree with your first point. If Lance can't beat Rush after a year, yes I believe he is still worth completing his contract. Rush is no slouch as a backup QB. If Lance can't win the QB2 job here in competition with Cooper Rush then he's done here. If that happened we don't care about his career after this season. He will be gone from this roster. So I guess we agree with that point.
Accept we can't forget about GM Jethro's ego here and the fact he likes to gamble.

Who do you think will make the decision on who the back up QB will be? McCarthy, the coaching staff or GM Jethro?

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Accept we can't forget about GM Jethro's ego here and the fact he likes to gamble.

Who do you think will make the decision on who the back up QB will be? McCarthy, the coaching staff or GM Jethro?
Jethro. Lance gets $4.5 million if he’s still with the team on the fifth day of training camp. Once that’s paid no way Jerry doesn’t have him on the 48 man game day roster all 17 games.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Jethro. Lance gets $4.5 million if he’s still with the team on the fifth day of training camp. Once that’s paid no way Jerry doesn’t have him on the 48 man game day roster all 17 games.
That is exactly what I believe. I believed it from
Day 1 of the trade. So actually there is no competition. If that is the case then the right thing to do would be to release Rush and let him compete for a spot on another team.

Trance did not beat out Jimmy G. It was given to him based off draft status.

Trance will not beat out Rush. It will be given to him based off of giving up a 4th and the high salary.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you say so.

Some real QB's can pick up an offense well enough in a few weeks. The season was 18 weeks long. Trance never sniffed QB2 and rarely even ran the scout team unless our D need a running QB look.
It wasn't ME...that "says so".

But this is the way the zone works, right? If you find or see a comment you agree with, the comment and source is 100% legit.

If your agenda makes you disagree with it...it's all bogus.

Humans,,,,sheesh.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Lance is a quality QB? Are you serious? lol He was a bust in San Francisco with an 84.5 career passer rating. He wasn’t even completing 55% of his passes. He couldn’t even win the backup job. He was dumped for a fourth round pick. No one offered anything better. Where have you been? You might want to do some research because Lance never took the job from Jimmy G. Lance was handed the job after the 49ers decided to move on from Jimmy G. There was never a competition between the two.

https://syndication.bleacherreport....y-lance-as-starter-amid-trade-rumors.amp.html
Yes.

Serious.

Jerry certainly is serious about Lance.

He’s our future QB1.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That is exactly what I believe. I believed it from
Day 1 of the trade. So actually there is no competition. If that is the case then the right thing to do would be to release Rush and let him compete for a spot on another team.

Trance did not beat out Jimmy G. It was given to him based off draft status.

Trance will not beat out Rush. It will be given to him based off of giving up a 4th and the high salary.
It's been said that no other team wanted him.

Dak didn't have to beat out Romo either. There was an injury and they just gave it to him even after romo fully healed.

"Don't mess with a streak" Jerry said. As if it's a craps table and not The Dallas Cowboys.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Certainly, but that is probable conjecture that interests you. Me? My interest was solely grabbed by the continuing notion players take jobs from starters without doing anything to take them.

'Take' has been twisted into a made up contronym that has repeatedly resurfaced in conversations here for nearly eight years. Replace 'INCONCEIVABLE' with 'take' and the automatic The Princess Bride quote would be, "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." lol.
I apologize for hijacking your comment.

I did just comment that I'm not convinced Dak "took" the job from Romo. I think by Jerry's own words it was GIVEN.

In other words...did the best QB play on any given Sunday?

Romo's health gets thrown on the table and 1) Romo finally took the time to fully heal instead of playing hurt or coming back too early. and 2) If dak was such a stud you just put him back in then.

The best man SHOULD play. But that can be hard to assess from here.

Chasing6

Reaction score
It wasn't ME...that "says so".

But this is the way the zone works, right? If you find or see a comment you agree with, the comment and source is 100% legit.

If your agenda makes you disagree with it...it's all bogus.

Humans,,,,sheesh.
I think they expected him to be much farther along than he was last year. To basically say last year was a wash when he was here for 4 and half months is crazy.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Imagine a universe where a former top pick that was just traded for a 4 competes for a job with Cooper Rush.
Lance was brought here to replace our aging QB1, who has a bad habit of blowing up Playoff Games.

Cooper isn’t going anywhere.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think they expected him to be much farther along than he was last year. To basically say last year was a wash when he was here for 4 and half months is crazy.
"YOU...think?"

You mean the guy that won't even say his name right...expects credibility on his thoughts?

Riiiiiiiiiight. :thumbup:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Where am I getting too far ahead and panicking? :huh: I’m just letting you know what could transpire if we go into the regular season and Dak’s not extended. If they offer him a deal during the season and he turns it down then he’s going to test for agency and they’ll probably lose him. Unless Dak is having a great season and so is the team they may want to play Lance a game or two just to see how he performs in the regular season against starting players. They have to know if they should re-sign him and what they might need to do in the draft and free agency. They can’t just put all their chips on Lance based on what he does in preseason this summer.
You seemed overly concerned with what might happen in the distant future, without even waiting to see how Lance's performances turn out. Any concerns based upon not knowing that aren't likely to be anything but guessing and pure conjecture. In any case, what happens in due time will be revealed as the situation arrives. In any event, I think the proceedings in TC and the preseason will offer great insight into this situation.

Jerry and Stephen are highly unlikely to put their unbridled trust in Lance without him proving himself a very capable proposition to find success. They both know exactly what they have in Dak and aren't remotely likely to "put all their chips on Lance", without him proving worthy of such consideration to start with. I'm merely saying let's wait and see how this thing develops in due time, without all the hand wringing that's going on lately.

Last edited:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I apologize for hijacking your comment.

I did just comment that I'm not convinced Dak "took" the job from Romo. I think by Jerry's own words it was GIVEN.

In other words...did the best QB play on any given Sunday?

Romo's health gets thrown on the table and 1) Romo finally took the time to fully heal instead of playing hurt or coming back too early. and 2) If dak was such a stud you just put him back in then.

The best man SHOULD play. But that can be hard to assess from here.
Bold> Ultimately, that question pertains solely for the 2016 season. It was that year that the fourth-round draft pick:
  • started third on the depth chart
  • rose to backup after the backup was injured
  • rose to starter after the starter was injured
  • played extremely well as the starter while the starter recuperated
The final bullet point above cemented the transition from previous-to-future player at the position for 2017 forward. It is the point-of-fact based upon a two-month evaluation of an unexpected rookie player, completely endorsed by the: a) owner/GM-for-life, b) head coach, c) some sports talking heads, d) a healthy number of current and ex-players and coaches, and e) a notable percentage of fans.

The accepted decision was almost completely predicated upon not disrupting 'team chemistry' euphoria. That is not hyperbole. It was a continual talking point for clarifying the decision by all of the parties mentioned in the past paragraph.

In short, there were a lot of people ready to move on from the old quarterback to a new one. Personally, I do not fault anyone who had that desire from the owner down. The old quarterback did not lead any teams to any divisional round, conference round nor championship round victories as a ten-year starter. The old quarterback sustained injuries that removed him from many games and/or seasons. Teams require above average play and stability from their top position, a fact true for all team sports at all levels.

The GM (anyone can include the head coach for personal preference but head coaches do not make permanent roster decisions in this franchise) decision's ramifications were set in stone for the position from 2017 forward. I am being longwinded quantifying my comments to the 2016 season only for the question, "Did the best QB play on any given Sunday?"

My answer is yes and no. Yes. The previous backup quarterback was the best quarterback for Sundays in September and October of 2016. And no. The new backup quarterback was the best quarterback for Sundays and any playoff game from November 2016 into January 2017.

My latter opinion would have been rendered moot if the new backup quarterback had been injured yet again. Then the previous backup quarterback would have returned to his starting role due to injury again.

How 2016 played out in reality is unquestionable. How 2016 could have played out will remain a question mark forever, despite all complaints to the contrary. True Super Bowl contending opportunities are fleeting. No rookie quarterback-led team as ever contended for or appeared in the championship game in Super Bowl history. That was a fact in 2016. It remains a fact today.

Injury could have played a factor in preventing the team from contending in 2016. Mistake-riddled quarterback play could have produced the exact same end result. Neither of those possibilities were the gamble taken by the owner/GM-for-life. The gamble taken in November 2016 is the one that did not pay off. In the end, the question 'Did the best QB play on any given Sunday?' was rendered totally meaningless for that particular season.

The best general managers command the football insight, foresight and luck.

Thanks again, Mad Genius.

/long rant

Chasing6

Reaction score
You seemed overly concerned with what might happen in the distant future, without even waiting to see how Lance's performances turn out. Any concerns based upon not knowing that aren't likely to be anything but guessing and pure conjecture. In any case, what happens in due time will be revealed as the situation arrives. In any event, I think the proceedings in TC and the preseason will offer great insight into this situation.

Jerry and Stephen are highly unlikely to put their unbridled trust in Lance without him proving himself a very capable proposition to find success. They both know exactly what they have in Dak and aren't remotely likely to "put all their chips on Lance", without him proving worthy of such consideration to start with. I'm merely saying let's wait and see how this thing develops in due time, without all the hand wringing that's going on lately.
Trance is not a QB. He is an athlete.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

We all should be concerned with what might happen in the distant future if Dak walks. I have little to no faith that Lance is going to be as good or better. He was playing on one of the best teams in the NFL that was loaded offensively and defensively and he failed. Every QB that San Francisco was using had success except him. He couldn’t even win the backup job in San Francisco and ended up getting dumped for a fourth round pick so it’s hard to imagine he’s going to be our next franchise QB.

It’s not hard making a calculated guess that he’s not going to be the answer. All I’m providing is a scenario of what could happen if Dak isn’t extended by the start of the regular season. If he’s offered a contract during the season and he declines then he’s going to explore free agency and we’re likely to lose him. In that event, we may have to play Lance at some point during the season to see what he can do in meaningful games, so we have an idea of how to approach the offseason if Dak walks.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Yes.

Serious.

Jerry certainly is serious about Lance.

He’s our future QB1.
He may have to use him at QB1 along with some other QBs if Dak Prescott walks, but he’s not our future QB1. In other words, he’s not the long-term answer and if that’s what you think you’re going to be dead wrong! It’s all wishful thinking on your part.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
We all should be concerned with what might happen in the distant future if Dak walks. I have little to no faith that Lance is going to be as good or better. He was playing on one of the best teams in the NFL that was loaded offensively and defensively and he failed. Every QB that San Francisco was using had success except him. He couldn’t even win the backup job in San Francisco and ended up getting dumped for a fourth round pick so it’s hard to imagine he’s going to be our next franchise QB.

It’s not hard making a calculated guess that he’s not going to be the answer. All I’m providing is a scenario of what could happen if Dak isn’t extended by the start of the regular season. If he’s offered a contract during the season and he declines then he’s going to explore free agency and we’re likely to lose him. In that event, we may have to play Lance at some point during the season to see what he can do in meaningful games, so we have an idea of how to approach the offseason if Dak walks.
Yup -- I think you might be onto something, with that summation. I'm concerned -- color me into any color that fits that statement. In the meantime, I'll be patiently awaiting TC, the preseason and hoping for something revealing to happen in the meanwhile. I'm not necessarily of a mind that Lance will provide an astounding performance in the weeks to come but no doubt, some clues may likely be provided in TC and the preseason to reveal what course might potentially be prudent to follow. That's no guarantee, of course, but more like wishful thinking. We'll see. I'll wait patiently for answers.