Trey Lance deserves playing time in real games

aikemirv

Reaction score
How can the Cowboys bring him this far and just stop?
If they want to develop the kid he should get to keep building on what he's doing. If he continues to show improvement, he should get reps with the first string in a real game situation.
It may be time for the Cowboys to make the hard choice and commit to the future.
Deserves - ehh. Would I like to see it here and there - sure.

leeblair

Reaction score
Except all he has shown is an ability to demonstrate he belongs with backups and practice squad players. The idea that he will somehow get better if he has to face competition better than what he already struggles against is silly.
Actually, Dak should be made to play with the second and third stringers. He's never had to.
He might learn how to deal with pressure.

aikemirv

Reaction score
man this is just nuts, Dak gets you in the tournament & Lance wins you 4 - 7 games. I hate that Dak is about to consume 60+ million of the Cap, but replacing a 3 year 12 game a year winning QB with a Kid that cannot hit the broad side of the barn and his ONLY, i said ONLY positive attribute is his running ability and arm strength is like shooting your self in the foot. Let Dak get his contract continue to develop Lance for a few more years if he will stay and lets go win this thing.
So are you saying that did not throw behind receivers all the time early in his career?

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Im SHocked the ABD crowd will literally take anyone but Dak....any guy off the street will do....

aikemirv

Reaction score
Im SHocked the ABD crowd will literally take anyone but Dak....any guy off the street will do....
Anyone but pay Dak 65 million - I would take Dak for 40-45 mill - then I could add a 20 million player that makes up for his deficiencies.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Anyone but pay Dak 65 million - I would take Dak for 40-45 mill - then I could add a 20 million player that makes up for his deficiencies.
Sure im confident in this happening with this FO, I know we want to run Dak out of town because he cant win with this FO, but if we could just get someone worse than him at QB we could run this thing!!!! Have full confidence in this FO to put the pieces around a worse QB...dont you?

SwagSurfer

Reaction score
I cringe at the thought of Trey Lance starting against a good NFL defense. He can barely complete passes to the flats let alone passes over 10 yards down the field. Ceedee will demand a trade if they did that.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
How can the Cowboys bring him this far and just stop?
If they want to develop the kid he should get to keep building on what he's doing. If he continues to show improvement, he should get reps with the first string in a real game situation.
It may be time for the Cowboys to make the hard choice and commit to the future.
:rolleyes:

HungryLion

Reaction score
I would be fine with them trading Dak now to move on and give Lance the season to see
How he does.

But they’re not gonna do that.

The only way Lance plays in real games this season is if Dak gets hurt, it’s a blowout one way or another, or there happens to be games at the end of the season that don’t matter because Dallas is already clinched or already eliminated from playoffs.

Ironicalicon

Reaction score
Let's say the Dak deal doesn't get done by week 1.

I know there are people out there (not too many, but some) who really think Rush is better than even Dak (which would make him a lot better than Lance) but if Dak should get hurt Lance should be the #2. It would help to see how he manages a game. I can't (or won't) imagine a scenario where you give up on a 4th round pick after 2 years, which Lance essentially is.

I think, regardless of whether Dak gets re-signed, Lance WILL BE re-signed to an average backup deal. Hell, the Raiders gave ~$10m to Minshew.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Let's say the Dak deal doesn't get done by week 1.

I know there are people out there (not too many, but some) who really think Rush is better than even Dak (which would make him a lot better than Lance) but if Dak should get hurt Lance should be the #2. It would help to see how he manages a game. I can't (or won't) imagine a scenario where you give up on a 4th round pick after 2 years, which Lance essentially is.

I think, regardless of whether Dak gets re-signed, Lance WILL BE re-signed to an average backup deal. Hell, the Raiders gave ~$10m to Minshew.
Why not just draft a QB and roll those dice, if Trey SHOWS he can play in real games thats diferent...if they are moving on from Dak then they would be wise to find out before giving him his second contract instead of drafting a QB...So far he can not beat out Cooper Rush..just saying.

leeblair

Reaction score
I don't disagree with committing to future without prescot.

Lance is not the answer, that much is clearly and undisputedly obvious to any one with average football knowledge.

time to go after a QB in draft for future....
Look at it this way:
If they realize after this season that Lance isn't the guy, they get a high draft pick to find one next season.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Look at it this way:
If they realize after this season that Lance isn't the guy, they get a high draft pick to find one next season.
:lmao: Do you read what you write? Do you realize what you’re saying? You want to get rid of the NFL MVP Runner-up and All-Pro and play a guy who hasn’t played hardly any football and can’t hit the broad side of a barn half the time? Do I have to explain why your opinion, which you’re entitled to, is so ridiculous?

pansophy

Reaction score
Look at it this way:
I don't think Jones has enough wear on the treads to take a long view like that. Trey needs 2 more seasons of working on his mechanics before it would be realistic for him to succeed. I think it can be argued that we went through all the growing pains with Dak already so we should try to reap the rewards of that now. He'll sign a huge deal and in 2 years there will be 5 or 6 guys who aren't as good making more money than him. That's just how these contracts go.

Drafting a QB in the top 10 is such a gamble and I have very little faith in this group being able to find the right guy. Jones falls in love with QB's who are out of the league very fast. Taking Lance who definitely has a high ceiling if he puts in the work makes a lot of sense to me. Pay Dak now, develop Lance, and see what's what is 3 or 4 years.

leeblair

Reaction score
:lmao: Do you read what you write? Do you realize what you’re saying? You want to get rid of the NFL MVP Runner-up and All-Pro and play a guy who hasn’t played hardly any football and can’t hit the broad side of a barn half the time? Do I have to explain why your opinion, which you’re entitled to, is so ridiculous?
The so-called "runner up" chokes every time the pressure is on.
I wonder if the MVP voting is legitimate, or if it, too, is based upon what the players and owners think is best for the league.
It's strange how Lamar got it after his huge payday and Dak was supposedly runner up with a huge contract extension looming in which the players hoped he would "reset" the market.
Nothing in the NFL is as it seems anymore.

It's time to move on.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
Once again the question is do fans and the front office believe enough in Lance to be willing to forgo drafting a QB for the next 2 or 4 seasons, to give Lance some time to prove himself as a Cowboys starter. And if a scenario presents itself where the Cowboys find themselves in around the top 5 picks on draft day, would Lance show enough to ensure that he is better than the top QB prospects who will be going into the draft for the next 2 or 3 years. And would the belief in Lance's potential be enough for Cowboys fans to be okay with the front office bypassing selecting a QB and drafting another position instead.

As I mentioned in another thread, this scenario can be avoided if Lance can get as many wins has Dak has been able to. This scenario only comes into question if Lance gets the starting job, but the Cowboys fall off enough to land in the top ten of the draft. Because there are some who pushed the theory of the Cowboys "tanking" by starting Lance, which means those fans don't think Lance will be able to do enough to lead the Cowboys to a winning season.