Trey Lance is likely our 2 after this season

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Dallas wanted to draft a developmental QB this year but all the guys they wanted were gone.

So they got 23 year old Trey Lance for a 4th round pick next year to be that guy. Someone that can hopefully be an upgrade at the backup position. We all like what Cooper Rush did in 2022 but he does not have the arm or athleticism Lance does.

If he works out, the Cowboys got a steal. If he doesn't, so what? There's no reason (yet) to get too excited about Lance either way. The talent is there. But he sorely lacks experience going back through college.

fivetwos

Reaction score
No it is not. It will be if the Cowboys take on the 5th year option on his 1st round contract, so expect them to get a new deal done with him before 2025.
Ah, there we are.

So I assume its a palatable number to keep him next year without cutting that um, other guy? Thanks.

The deal makes a little more sense now.

conner01

Reaction score
Yea but isn’t his cap number high?
940k this year, 1 mil next year with a 4 mil roster bonus. If he’s on the roster it’s 5 mil but I think if they like what they see of him this year they could extend him one year and cut that down some. It would be in his best interest I think because it would almost certainly mean they see him as at least the backup and he gets two years to develop and hit the market. If he was a FA right now he wouldn’t get any real offers so it gives him a shot at real money

conner01

Reaction score
No it is not. It will be if the Cowboys take on the 5th year option on his 1st round contract, so expect them to get a new deal done with him before 2025.
If they did that they could lower his cap hit next year. But 5 mil for a real backup QB isn’t high. The question is he a real nfl backup at least. Then he gets to develop and hit the market in a couple years as a FA.

rags747

Reaction score
You’re jumping to conclusions way too soon and I wouldn’t be getting real excited about Trey Lance. We haven’t even seen him take a snap as a Cowboy. There’s certainly isn’t anything he did as a 49er to get anyone excited.
Excited over Rush is quite easy actually.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
next year his cap hit is 5M...

cooper rush cap hit is 2.8M...

money talks. they want to use Lance...no way they traded a 4th and are paying him 5M with zero plan in place. We gave you a chance, give us a discount - sound familiar?

Post june 1 cut for Dak or Trade Post June 1 is

DEAD CAP - 25M
CAP SAVINGS - $34M

football is a business...
thank me for the numbers later. follow the money.
please cut him.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
I would put Lance at the 2 and Rush as the emergency QB. If Dak goes out and Lance stinks it up, just fake a banged up hammy and Rush can play
I don't think Rush would go for that. He could start for a few teams right now.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Dallas wanted to draft a developmental QB this year but all the guys they wanted were gone.

So they got 23 year old Trey Lance for a 4th round pick next year to be that guy. Someone that can hopefully be an upgrade at the backup position. We all like what Cooper Rush did in 2022 but he does not have the arm or athleticism Lance does.

If he works out, the Cowboys got a steal. If he doesn't, so what? There's no reason (yet) to get too excited about Lance either way. The talent is there. But he sorely lacks experience going back through college.

It’s so simple to understand but it goes over so many people’s heads.

I love that they did this.

My only problem though is Lance needs to play football to actually get better and we can’t give him that opportunity.

Flamma

Reaction score
next year his cap hit is 5M...

cooper rush cap hit is 2.8M...

money talks. they want to use Lance...no way they traded a 4th and are paying him 5M with zero plan in place. We gave you a chance, give us a discount - sound familiar?

Post june 1 cut for Dak or Trade Post June 1 is

DEAD CAP - 25M
CAP SAVINGS - $34M

football is a business...
thank me for the numbers later. follow the money.
That's a 25M dead cap in 2024. What's the dead cap for 2025? 36M? There's no good way to chop up a 61M dead cap.

Flamma

Reaction score
Ah, there we are.

So I assume its a palatable number to keep him next year without cutting that um, other guy? Thanks.

The deal makes a little more sense now.
His cap hit for next year is 5.3M. His dead cap is also 5.3M. So cutting him saves nothing.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Excited over Rush is quite easy actually.
What’s exciting about him? Lol We had very little passing game with him last season, and the only reason we were winning was because of our defense and kicker. We beat the Rams with him passing for only 100 yards because of our defense. Once Dak returned we became the highest scoring offense in the league.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
I liked Rush, but I think he will be shown the door after this season and Trey Lance will be promoted to substitute QB. No matter how this season ends, 2024 will probably be the time we will see if Trey Lance can win the starting job. I’m very excited about this player and from the rumors, he has finally settled in as a Dallas Cowboy. Yeehaw!
Why, he has proved to this point that he doesn't belong on a 53 man roster. If the 9ers couldn't make this dude their number 2, it's apparent that this dude is just another overpaid, over hyped, less than mediocre QB in the NFL. Just because he can outrun RUSH doesn't mean he can lead a team like RUSH can. The 9ers were doing back flips when JJ came knocking at their door with a 4th rd pick to take Lance off their hands............

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
What’s exciting about him? We had very little passing game with him last season, and the only reason we were winning was because of our defense and kicker. Once Dak returned we became the highest scoring offense in the league.
hum sounds like dak this year, but he's dak and it's everybody else fault. LMAO

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
hum sounds like dak this year, but he's dak and it's everybody else fault. LMAO
It’s the new offense that’s causing the issues. Everyone including the players are frustrated with it. You can bet they’ll be making tweaks to it during the bye week.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
It’s the new offense that’s causing the issues.
nice, I predicted that at the first of the year. "You can't expect dak to learn a new offense in one year, he never learned the old one in 8 years." lol......the defense has carried dak all year, like you guys said about Rush. lol......excuse number 10? or is it more? Year 8 .Oh yeah, the points... Rush like dak hasn't put up crap......lol

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
nice, I predicted that at the first of the year. "You can't expect dak to learn a new offense in one year, he never learned the old one in 8 years." lol......the defense has carried dak all year, like you guys said about Rush. lol......excuse number 10? or is it more? Year 8 .Oh yeah, the points... Rush like dak hasn't put up crap......lol
Everyone including our receivers have been struggling with this new offense. Try opening your eyes! Our offense took off last season after Dak returned. We had three 40 point games and a 50 point game after he returned. If you’re looking to turn this into a thread about Dak go find someone else.