Trey Lance is likely our 2 after this season

Adreme

Reaction score
I see people writing him off. We need to give this man a fair chance. It would be wrong and he might be our starter eventually.
Everyone deserves a fair chance but lets be honest with ourselves: when next year hits he will be in his 4th year. He will have a total of 4 starts in his first 3 NFL seasons, after playing only 1 game his last year of college so it will have been 5 years since he was a starter at any level, and in those 4 NFL starts he had 55% completion with 5 TDs and 3 INTs. Meanwhile just this year he could not beat out Sam Darnold to be a backup. The 49ers had EVERY reason to favor him in that competition and he still could not win it. If it had even been close Trey Lance would be their backup. Right now he cannot beat out Cooper Rush. This means in order to compete for a starting job, in a single offseason, he has to go from worse than Cooper Rush to better than a top 10 QB. That is an unprecedented jump. Even if you think Dak is only top 15 (GMs Scouts and Coaches think otherwise but whatever) that would still be an unprecedented leap from being awful for 3 years to suddenly being great.

The only example in the history of the NFL that is even CLOSE is Drew Brees and even then the gap is far smaller. Drew Brees was a bad starter for his first couple years so the Chargers drafted Phillip Rivers. Rivers holds out so Brees gets the starting job by default and suddenly plays at a pro bowl level. However the key difference is that Brees was looking like a low end starter and had playing time to learn for 2 years and he was still more accurate than Lance. Basically he needs to make a bigger jump than a HoF QB made going into his 4th year who was a consistent starter who made the largest jump in NFL history in order to compete for the starting job. That seems VERY unlikely.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I liked Rush, but I think he will be shown the door after this season and Trey Lance will be promoted to substitute QB. No matter how this season ends, 2024 will probably be the time we will see if Trey Lance can win the starting job. I’m very excited about this player and from the rumors, he has finally settled in as a Dallas Cowboy. Yeehaw!
Trey Lance can't even carry Cooper Rush's jock strap. lol. Y'all need to settle down.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Can someone who thinks this was a good trade answer this? Apparently his 2025 option is a fully guaranteed $20 million+ and we have to decide on that in 7 months. I assume everyone that likes this trade agrees the Cowboys will decline that? If yes, is the idea he becomes a free agent and the Cowboys outbid everyone to retain him?
Their Dak hatred blinds them.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
I’m not writing him off, but I’m certainly not going get excited about him. I remember when Jerry traded a third round pick to the Texas for Drew Henson. Everyone on the board I was posting on at the time was jumping for joy, thinking we found our next great QB. Lol The Texans didn’t see anything in him which is why they traded him. We ended up seeing the same things they saw. He only lasted one season with the Cowboys. I’m hoping like everyone Trey Lance amounts to something positive but I’ll be surprised if he lasts more than two seasons with the Cowboys.
Guilty as charged, boy was I wrong.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
It would be nice to see him beat out Cooper for the backup spot this year. I hope the coaches aren’t too conservative and give him a real chance at winning that spot.

Flamma

Reaction score
Exactly....................post June 1 does nothing but spread the cap hit over 2 years instead of 1.

There is no magic wand to wave and Dak's cap hit magically disappears.

I know people dont want to hear it, but I really dont think the Cowboys are going to blow $60 million by releasing Dak, doesnt matter if it is over 1 yrs or 2 yrs, you are still eating $60 million.

The most realistic scenario is the Cowboys allow Dak to play out the last year of his contract in 2024 and then he is off the books for good and can be an UFA since he has a no tag clause. That is what most likely is going to happen, Dak is going to be allowed to play out his deal, he is not going to be released after this year, it is just not going to happen.
Right. At best he plays out his contract. But that has its issues too. He'd be an almost 60M cap hit for that last year. They seemed to have worked his contract with every intention of extending him.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I liked Rush, but I think he will be shown the door after this season and Trey Lance will be promoted to substitute QB. No matter how this season ends, 2024 will probably be the time we will see if Trey Lance can win the starting job. I’m very excited about this player and from the rumors, he has finally settled in as a Dallas Cowboy. Yeehaw!
Rush is what Rush is. a very limited QB, who can't get an offense passed being bottom feeders. if Lance is not the #2 next year, then we made an extremley stupid trade.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
I'd just cut Trey, he scares me, and one day might take daks job. Why can't we trade or cut him? I don't care if he becomes real good and makes the Cowboys better. I'd hate to win without my dak.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
I see people writing him off. We need to give this man a fair chance. It would be wrong and he might be our starter eventually.
There's a difference between giving him a fair chance and actually believing that he could challenge Dak for the starting job.

And that's the whole dilemma we're in since let's say 2017. The guy under center is good enough to give Jerry that "oh we're relevant" feeling yet can't push us over the top. The guys on 2 and 3 aren't pushing him enough to shuffle up the QB position a bit. So in the end we're stuck with what we have seen over the last couple of years. Seems like they will extend Dak's contract too, so yeehaaaw.

Creeper

Reaction score
I think it would be stupid for the Cowboys not to give Lance every opportunity to take the #2 spot, but the question is, can he?

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
Or could we see Trey this year? What if Dak unfortunately gets injured and Rush is next man up, but doesn’t do well. Trey comes in and leads us on a deep run. I am dreaming but that would be a story. Remember Foles won a damn Super Bowl.

RonWashington

Reaction score
Jerry didn’t trade a 4 for a 3rd string QB now did he ? Man is shrewd beyond belief . Jerry has plans for Mr Lance . Now that Dak is in final stages of mammoth contract . Are you reading the tea leaves or are they cloudy .:huh:

diamonddelts

Reaction score
Everyone deserves a fair chance but lets be honest with ourselves: when next year hits he will be in his 4th year. He will have a total of 4 starts in his first 3 NFL seasons, after playing only 1 game his last year of college so it will have been 5 years since he was a starter at any level, and in those 4 NFL starts he had 55% completion with 5 TDs and 3 INTs. Meanwhile just this year he could not beat out Sam Darnold to be a backup. The 49ers had EVERY reason to favor him in that competition and he still could not win it. If it had even been close Trey Lance would be their backup. Right now he cannot beat out Cooper Rush. This means in order to compete for a starting job, in a single offseason, he has to go from worse than Cooper Rush to better than a top 10 QB. That is an unprecedented jump. Even if you think Dak is only top 15 (GMs Scouts and Coaches think otherwise but whatever) that would still be an unprecedented leap from being awful for 3 years to suddenly being great.
Cowboys Fever and Catch17 ignore these stats in favor of blind ingorance.

rambo2

Reaction score
Actually the cowboys can cut dak this off-season if they want.

Not saying they will. But financially it makes sense if they do
If they don't make the Super Bowl and it makes sense, they may very well give Lance a chance.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
You’re jumping to conclusions way too soon and I wouldn’t be getting real excited about Trey Lance. We haven’t even seen him take a snap as a Cowboy. There’s certainly isn’t anything he did as a 49er to get anyone excited.
They didn’t trade a 4th for him to sit for 2 years and leave. There’s a plan

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
wow, the Trey Lance hating is unreal, sort a like the Cooper Rush hating. wow, just wow.