Trey Lance is likely our 2 after this season

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
They didn’t trade a 4th for him to sit for 2 years and leave. There’s a plan
There’s a plan, but they’re not going to hand him the backup job and the odds of him beating out Dak next summer is slim and none. The 49ers had a plan with Trey Lance but not all plans work out. The Cowboys had a plan for Drew Henson when they traded a third round pick for him.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
next year his cap hit is 5M...

cooper rush cap hit is 2.8M...

money talks. they want to use Lance...no way they traded a 4th and are paying him 5M with zero plan in place. We gave you a chance, give us a discount - sound familiar?

Post june 1 cut for Dak or Trade Post June 1 is

DEAD CAP - 25M
CAP SAVINGS - $34M

football is a business...
thank me for the numbers later. follow the money.
Money will play a significant role, but I think the deciding factor will be performance for money.

Any starting QB in the league is at risk of a talented and capable young starter at a cheaper price.

ghst187

Reaction score
The fact remains he's only thrown 131 NFL passes. If he hadn't have gotten injured he'd be the starting QB of the 49ers right now and Purdy wouldn't have seen the field.

I'm not saying he doesn't suck, but I still think there's a chance he could improve to a NFL quality QB if given the chance. Maybe a small chance.
Fair. I wish he hadn’t gotten hurt, the niners would’ve missed the playoffs last year had he not.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
You'd want him to earn it, though, right?

The way I see it, Rush has earned his keep on this team. There's no need to show him the door. Guy is a Cowboy.

Beaker42

Reaction score
I liked Rush, but I think he will be shown the door after this season and Trey Lance will be promoted to substitute QB. No matter how this season ends, 2024 will probably be the time we will see if Trey Lance can win the starting job. I’m very excited about this player and from the rumors, he has finally settled in as a Dallas Cowboy. Yeehaw!
Cooper Rush is every below-average backup QB who’s ever played all rolled into one. He’s a large heaping helping of meh and got worse each game last year. Our D bailed him out.

mardwin

Reaction score
Rush is not going anywhere. He has a 5-1 record as a starter.

InDakEyeBack

Reaction score
Cowboys save 34M in salary cap if they cut Dak post June 1
We had this conversation in another thread. They don't "save" anything. They would have to pay Dak 25 million still, and then 36 million in dead cap the next year.

It saves 34 mil from the 60 he's currently scheduled to get leaving about 25-26 mil that we would pay him to not play for us. They'll extend him to avoid paying him either 60 million on the last year of his contract or 25 mil then 36 mil to walk.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/dak-prescott-19089/

mardwin

Reaction score
We had this conversation in another thread. They don't "save" anything. They would have to pay Dak 25 million still, and then 36 million in dead cap the next year.

It saves 34 mil from the 60 he's currently scheduled to get leaving about 25-26 mil that we would pay him to not play for us. They'll extend him to avoid paying him either 60 million on the last year of his contract or 25 mil then 36 mil to walk.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/dak-prescott-19089/
What are you talking about?? Guaranteed money for Dak expire after this season which means Dallas has already paid him all 126M he was due when he extended.

There's 25M dead cap and that's reasonable for the team to absorb.

InDakEyeBack

Reaction score
What are you talking about?? Guaranteed money for Dak expire after this season which means Dallas has already paid him all 126M he was due when he extended.

There's 25M dead cap and that's reasonable for the team to absorb.
Did you look at the link I posted? It's 25 million next season, then 36 million the season after. That is what comes out of our salary cap to cut Dak. Two seasons of paying him not to be here. That is why Jerry won't do it.

mardwin

Reaction score
Did you look at the link I posted? It's 25 million next season, then 36 million the season after. That is what comes out of our salary cap to cut Dak. Two seasons of paying him not to be here. That is why Jerry won't do it.
Dak is not getting any more cash from his current contract. The guaranteed money was 126M. He was paid 75M yr1, 20 yr2 and 31M this year. His current salary cap is 26M in 2023. If Dak is designated a post Jun 1 cut at the end of this season, the team has to carry 25M in dead money in each of the next 2 seasons and 11M the season after.

See here:
https://overthecap.com/player/dak-prescott/4848

InDakEyeBack

Reaction score
Dak is not getting any more cash from his current contract. The guaranteed money was 126M. He was paid 75M yr1, 20 yr2 and 31M this year. His current salary cap is 26M in 2023. If Dak is designated a post Jun 1 cut at the end of this season, the team has to carry 25M in dead money in each of the next 2 seasons and 11M the season after.

See here:
https://overthecap.com/player/dak-prescott/4848
We're saying the exact same thing, what's 25m + 11m? 36 mil in 2025 like I said. Jerry is not going to carry that dead cap for 2 seasons for a player that isn't here unless maybe we miss the playoffs and he looks awful. Probably not even then.

mardwin

Reaction score
We're saying the exact same thing, what's 25m + 11m? 36 mil in 2025 like I said. Jerry is not going to carry that dead cap for 2 seasons for a player that isn't here unless maybe we miss the playoffs and he looks awful. Probably not even then.
Jerry will eventually have to pay the piper for Dak's bad contract.

Rush and Lance with their low salaries will need to hold the fort, Parsons will command 30M per year and CeeDee about 15M. In addition to all the recent extensions.

InDakEyeBack

Reaction score
Jerry will eventually have to pay the piper for Dak's bad contract.

Rush and Lance with their low salaries will need to hold the fort, Parsons will command 30M per year and CeeDee about 15M. In addition to all the recent extensions.
You're not getting CeeDee Lamb for 15 million a year this isn't 15 years ago Gallup makes more than that, it's CeeDee that's estimated to get 30. Parsons is expected to get more than Bosa which would be over 35 million per season.