Trey Lance is likely our 2 after this season

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Everyone including our receivers have been struggling with this new offense. Try opening your eyes! Our offense took off last season after Dak returned. We had three 40 point games and a 50 point game after he returned. If you’re looking to turn this into a thread about Dak go find someone else.
open your eyes, the guy is in year 8 and we are hoping the team can carry mister elite better. wow, just wow, Next lose I don't want you to jump back off the dak wagon.

Keep hoping and complaining when the defense doesn't carry him and score the points for him. shrugs.....

Maybe we can run more hand-offs, he at times excels at that.

Flamma

Reaction score
My only problem though is Lance needs to play football to actually get better and we can’t give him that opportunity.
How would he get that chance? Here's Lance this year against the Broncos backups in preseason. And remember, Lance comes in last. And from what I've heard, it was preseason that elevated Darnold over Lance. And you'll see why....

He does make some good throws. But a lot of it is..........you'll see.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
According to what I read, Darnold came to SF to be the backup and learn. He took a big pay cut to be the backup. Lance would be wanting more playing time at more money.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
open your eyes, the guy is in year 8 and we are hoping the team can carry mister elite better. wow, just wow, Next lose I don't want you to jump back off the dak wagon.

Keep hoping and complaining when the defense doesn't carry him and score the points for him. shrugs.....

Maybe we can run more hand-offs, he at times excels at that.
Tired of the Dak arguments. By the way our defense isn’t good enough to carry anyone right now.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
I love it when the dakstan? say the defense carried Rush, but now they are complaining about the defense, offensive line, wide receivers, OC, and HC. LOL, Rush didn't need all those excuses.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think that is the plan but they'll want to see him pre season.

rags747

Reaction score
What’s exciting about him? Lol We had very little passing game with him last season, and the only reason we were winning was because of our defense and kicker. We beat the Rams with him passing for only 100 yards because of our defense. Once Dak returned we became the highest scoring offense in the league.
My post is supposed to imply excited for Lance over Rush. To me Rush offers nothing…

InDakEyeBack

Reaction score
Only one problem….Trey Lance super sucks
The fact remains he's only thrown 131 NFL passes. If he hadn't have gotten injured he'd be the starting QB of the 49ers right now and Purdy wouldn't have seen the field.

I'm not saying he doesn't suck, but I still think there's a chance he could improve to a NFL quality QB if given the chance. Maybe a small chance.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I liked Rush, but I think he will be shown the door after this season and Trey Lance will be promoted to substitute QB. No matter how this season ends, 2024 will probably be the time we will see if Trey Lance can win the starting job. I’m very excited about this player and from the rumors, he has finally settled in as a Dallas Cowboy. Yeehaw!
Rush is under contract through next year and there's no real reason to run him off. Right now, Lance is the developmental QB, and the front office would be extremely happy to see him surpass Rush. But the team is also not going to go get another developmental QB while developing Lance, so Rush's spot on the roster seems pretty safe.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Actually the cowboys can cut dak this off-season if they want.

Not saying they will. But financially it makes sense if they do
It would be extremely expensive. His dead cap hit would be $62 million. Even if you spread that over two seasons, that's $31 million in dead money each of the next two years.

gimmesix

Reaction score
How would he get that chance? Here's Lance this year against the Broncos backups in preseason. And remember, Lance comes in last. And from what I've heard, it was preseason that elevated Darnold over Lance. And you'll see why....

He does make some good throws. But a lot of it is..........you'll see.

That was kind of exciting to watch. He made a few poor decisions under pressure, but he was under a lot of pressure for the most part and made some nice throws. Granted, it was against backups.

Flamma

Reaction score
That was kind of exciting to watch. He made a few poor decisions under pressure, but he was under a lot of pressure for the most part and made some nice throws. Granted, it was against backups.
Well, it works both ways. Even though he was throwing against the worst defense, his OL were the worst players too.

He threw multiple good passes. But the bad decisions were really bad. Get that out of the way, and some of those good passes were impressive.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
That's a 25M dead cap in 2024. What's the dead cap for 2025? 36M? There's no good way to chop up a 61M dead cap.
Exactly....................post June 1 does nothing but spread the cap hit over 2 years instead of 1.

There is no magic wand to wave and Dak's cap hit magically disappears.

I know people dont want to hear it, but I really dont think the Cowboys are going to blow $60 million by releasing Dak, doesnt matter if it is over 1 yrs or 2 yrs, you are still eating $60 million.

The most realistic scenario is the Cowboys allow Dak to play out the last year of his contract in 2024 and then he is off the books for good and can be an UFA since he has a no tag clause. That is what most likely is going to happen, Dak is going to be allowed to play out his deal, he is not going to be released after this year, it is just not going to happen.

plasticman

Reaction score
Likely not. I think he needs a full reset.

In my opinion, he's not a viable option until 2025. I think his performance in preseason games will dictate how far he can go, much in the same way as Tony Romo.

BoyzBlaster

Reaction score
Can someone who thinks this was a good trade answer this? Apparently his 2025 option is a fully guaranteed $20 million+ and we have to decide on that in 7 months. I assume everyone that likes this trade agrees the Cowboys will decline that? If yes, is the idea he becomes a free agent and the Cowboys outbid everyone to retain him?