Trey Lance mop up duty?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You're right. Except one thing, those few of us who followed Dak through his college years knew Dak was definitely starting material for the NFL, plus Dak was known to never give up his starter role once he got it. He's been that way since high school. He's simply that good. A weapon with both his arm and his feet, plus having the smarts to go along as well.
Sorry, that doesn't make a difference to me. I don't believe you are are 100% accurate on all your choices, and there wasn't a single NFL team that thought of Dak as a sure thing.

As for being known not to give up a starter role once you have it, that's not a point at all. You don't think its the norm that NFL QB's, whether starters or backups, held on to their starting position in HS and college once they got it?

As for Dak being a weapon with both his arms & feet, that's what they say about Lance too

Proof

Reaction score
Want versus need. Some Cowboys fans want Trey Lance to play in order to judge what he can do for themselves. The Cowboys coaching staff have four regular season games' worth of film on Trey Lance starting for San Francisco. There is zero need for them to see what Lance is capable of.
four games of playing poorly for another team? over a year ago? lol. sounds good

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
four games of playing poorly for another team? over a year ago? lol. sounds good
...of what the coaching staff already knows versus the risk of losing Trey Lance a.k.a. their emergency quarterback by playing him during the regular season? Does not matter if it sounds good or bad to outsiders looking in. Lance's evaluation by the Dallas Cowboys for 2023 will be during practice, unless injury to the guys in front of him occur.

Proof

Reaction score
Can we get some kind of banner or sticky thread with the tittle "Trey Lance can’t go in unless both QB’s get injured. He will stay the emergency QB all season barring injury." and then just merge all the threads asking for Lance into it?
as long as there's others also stickied saying "They can carry 3 QB's" or "They can promote him from emergency QB"

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Sorry, that doesn't make a difference to me. I don't believe you are are 100% accurate on all your choices, and there wasn't a single NFL team that thought of Dak as a sure thing.

As for being known not to give up a starter role once you have it, that's not a point at all. You don't think its the norm that NFL QB's, whether starters or backups, held on to their starting position in HS and college once they got it?

As for Dak being a weapon with both his arms & feet, that's what they say about Lance too
Get properly informed next time. It's well known Dak has never relinquished his starter role once he secures it at any level. Like I said, those of us who followed him were not surprised to see Dak take that starter role during the preseason of his rookie year and never give it back. Dak was good enough to even be included and voted on as a Heisman candidate, plus he led his Mississippi State team to the #1 ranking for a few weeks. Trey Lance doesn't even come close to what Dak accomplished in college. Lance is a wannabe. Dak has been there and done that. That's a fact.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Get properly informed next time. It's well known Dak has never relinquished his starter role once he secures it at any level. Like I said, those of us who followed him were not surprised to see Dak take that starter role during the preseason of his rookie year and never give it back. Dak was good enough to even be included and voted on as a Heisman candidate, plus he led his Mississippi State team to the #1 ranking for a few weeks. Trey Lance doesn't even come close to what Dak accomplished in college. Lance is a wannabe. Dak has been there and done that. That's a fact.
So you knew romo would be hurt in preseason.

Hmm. Well then.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I’m not advocating for Lance to see the field but he did have one great season in 2018-19. He led ND State to the FCS championship game, won and got MVP. He threw 28 TD’s with zero interceptions that season. He didn't get enough experience in college IMO, certainly not enough to warrant #3 overall. He is raw as they come right now.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
LMAO, complaining about a 4th round pick that might or might not help us. Where is the crying about all the wasted 2nd round picks?

Proof

Reaction score
He wasn't acquired to play immediately, he was acquired as a high ceiling guy to develop. Rush is the backup this season - the veteran that knows the system, has won game before and will step in if Dak gets hurt. Next season will likely be different, and hopefully we will see enough from Lance that he will become the primary backup.
yeah in theory that obviously makes sense, but what changes next season? Rush is still the veteran that knows the system and is still under contract. You hoping that time / offseason etc will bridge the gap?

Proof

Reaction score
Every team has that option. We are talking about Lance being designated as the emergency QB here. I don’t see Dallas carrying three(active) at any point this season.
yeah he said in his post that it was the option for all nfl teams. he just specified that dallas could do that ... since all teams can lol

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Try reading and comprehending sometime. I didn't even remotely suggest Dak ever relinquished his starter role once he secured it at any level. What I said was that's not uncommon for an NFL level QB..

Your indication that you are infallible judging a college player doesn't fly. Are you really saying you have never been wrong on a player? If so, I'm calling BS.

I'm going to stop here because you are ridiculously trying to make this a Dak versus Lance argument, and that''s a nonsensical way to respond to me because I've never suggested that Lance is as good as Dak, or that he ever will be. The point is he doesn't have to be to get ample ample value for the 4th round draft pick the Cowboys gave up.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
He's 3rd string. He should never see the field
They are not going to replace Rush as 2nd QB. Dallas has much respect for Cooper.

IMHO, take a look at the cap for 2024.

Dak isn't going to get paid 60+ mill.

That's why Lance is here.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
yeah in theory that obviously makes sense, but what changes next season? Rush is still the veteran that knows the system and is still under contract. You hoping that time / offseason etc will bridge the gap?
What changes next season is that he won't be coming in mid year and starting from scratch, and he will have the benefit of all the offseason, training camp and preseason work with the Cowboy coaches and players. Cooper Rush's contract doesn't require him to stay the #2, and obviously they know Lance is more athletically gifted, so Lance will get his chance to move ahead of Rush on the depth chart.

Jfconrow

Reaction score
For being worth 3 1sts I put him above Rush. 4th Quarter up 3 scores, I would put in the B team.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
What changes next season is that he won't be coming in mid year and starting from scratch, and he will have the benefit of all the offseason, training camp and preseason work with the Cowboy coaches and players. Cooper Rush's contract doesn't require him to stay the #2, and obviously they know Lance is more athletically gifted, so Lance will get his chance to move ahead of Rush on the depth chart.
Plus, Dak is likely a June cut.

They can split that 60 mill cap hit.

too many players need paid.

And Lance is cheap.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Try reading and comprehending sometime. I didn't even remotely suggest Dak ever relinquished his starter role once he secured it at any level. What I said was that's not uncommon for an NFL level QB..

Your indication that you are infallible judging a college player doesn't fly. Are you really saying you have never been wrong on a player? If so, I'm calling BS.

I'm going to stop here because you are ridiculously trying to make this a Dak versus Lance argument, and that''s a nonsensical way to respond to me because I've never suggested that Lance is as good as Dak, or that he ever will be. The point is he doesn't have to be to get ample ample value for the 4th round draft pick the Cowboys gave up.
That was a dumb trade. Should have saved it for a position of need next year like Oline, WR, RB, LB, DT and CB who could play and contribute right away, not sit as an inactive and occupy a roster for years to come.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That was a dumb trade. Should have saved it for a position of need next year like Oline, WR, RB, LB, DT and CB who could play and contribute right away, not sit as an inactive and occupy a roster for years to come.

Do you think the Patriots could have used draft picks on positions other than QB all those years Brady was entrenched as the starter?

Of course Brady was the guy, yet over his career the Patriots used a 2nd round pick, 3 (three) 3rd round picks, a 4th round pick and a smattering of other later round picks on QB's.

The Pats knew you don't just sit still and not worry about QB based on the assumption your starter will always be available.

But I guess you know better than a team that went to and won as many SB's at the Pats did all those years.