Twitter: Trey Lance trade was an abomination

plymkr

Reaction score
I think this thread and this premise of Trey being a wasted pick is agenda driven. When we traded for Cooks it was fine. When we traded for Gilmore it was fine. Lamb and Diggs were not mentioned and defended from those trades. Jerry has wasted more picks in the second round than anyone else running a team. KJ was a second round bust everyone has forgotten about. Schoon is trash. I think since Trey is a QB and Dak has played poorly in meaningful games and that’s the core issue here.

If Dallas traded for a player picked #3 overall and was raw and had a possible high ceiling for a 4th rounder and that player was a DT, or DE, LB or OL then we would not be discussing this.

Bottom line we don’t know what Trey is yet. He’s only 24 has hasn’t played much. But IMO taking a flyer on a guy drafted #3 overall at any position is a good gamble. I mean we’ve gambled with less important positions with 1st and 2nd rounders. I’m willing to gamble a 4th for a player taken #3 overall and struggled with staying healthy. I strongly feel if it was any other position besides QB there wouldn’t be a discussion.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He played in the 3rd and 4th quarters of those preseason games. Purdy started, then Danold before Lance mopped up..
Doesn't it bother you at all to just make things up to fabricate an argument?

First, you said he was awful in those preseason games, then you were proven wrong.

So, after being called out on your false claim, you changed directions and made the excuse that Purdy started, then Darnold, and all Lance did was mop up at the end.

The truth is ...

In one of those 2 games Purdy didn't play at all, and the one he did he was in and out quickly after throwing only 5 passes.

Additionally, in one of the two Lance was the starter, with Purdy being the starter in the other.

And, by the way, Lance was the leading passer for the 49ers in both those games, so that's obviously not just "mop up"

Last edited:

kskboys

Reaction score
It was a 4th. If our season depends on what we would've gotten w/ that 4th round pick, then we were already doomed.

1942willys

Reaction score
It was a 4th. If our season depends on what we would've gotten w/ that 4th round pick, then we were already doomed.
EXACTLY. I can think of a number of trades we made that qualify but not that one. A 4th is nice to have but it can never be that important

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The question is really why did they sign Darnold($4.5M) to begin with??? They did not trust Trance as a back up.

If Trance had actually beat out Jimmy G, then they would have been comfortable with him backing up Purdy.

Above only confirms that this preseason does not really matter how Trance plays in preseason. He will not be playing this year.

Best case scenario is Trance is playing for an extension as a back up QB.
The 49er's publicly named Lance the starter going into the 2022 season, so how could that be translated as anything other than a decision that Lance was the better way to go?

I do, however, admit there is a question about 2023 and why they signed Darnold. Maybe they lost faith in Lance, maybe they were worried about Lance's health after his season ending injury in 2022, maybe they still were less than fully comfortable with Purdy, or maybe it was some combination of those things.

As for what happened in SF confirming Lance won't play this season regardless of how he plays in preseason, that makes no sense. SF doesn't prove anything about the Cowboys, and the reality is the Cowboys still have Dak, so Lance isn't competing for the starting role to begin with. I never suggested he is, so that isn't an argument against what I have said.

As for your best case scenario, that's obviously not "best case", but maybe that's more likely than to expect he will eventually become a high quality starter. But I'm okay with it if that's how it plays out. If he becomes a high quality backup that the Cowboys can extend for a reasonable price then the team got real value for the 4th round pick the team traded away.

8FOR!3

Reaction score
Zach Wilson is damaged goods at this point. My alma mater kicked his you know what and he's never been the same since. He's had more than ample opportunity to start and develop and the odds of him amounting to anything are small. Mac Jones just doesn't have the arm talent. If I'm a Bears fan I'm disappointed that they got a 6th round pick for Justin Fields when Justin Fields probably has higher upside than Zach Wilson at this point.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So I provide you a video of a podcast literally being taped in The Star by three reporters who cover the team, two very closely, who go on record that they do not hear anything good about Trey Lance behind the scenes from coaches/staff unlike the whispers they heard about Romo/Dak in their early years and you totally discount it? What exactly is your read of what they said in that clip?

Where did I say Lance was bad in practice? Re-read the op.
If it's on the internet, it must be true.....they prey on the gullible.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mr. Regular Season Victory Parade Grand Marshall. How many people showed up to your parade this year?? Lol!!!
Get to stepping in your Stiletto Heels! Not a great visual....but, I don't judge.

CWR

Reaction score
GM Jethro looks dumb having 3 QB's with expiring contracts all in the same year.
Yeah after I posted that comment I thought of all the various reasons gm Jerry looks dumb and realized I was pissing in the wind.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
How were we supposed to know this last year? It was a good roll of the dice. IMO
Sorry, Coach, I disagree. 49ers have one of the best QB builders/coach, and when he chose 2 other QBs as 2nd and 3rd stringers over Lance, that should have told everybody something is seriously wrong with Lance. Even Mike Martz came out recently and said the same.

That's not including the contract.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sorry, Coach, I disagree. 49ers have one of the best QB builders/coach, and when he chose 2 other QBs as 2nd and 3rd stringers over Lance, that should have told everybody something is seriously wrong with Lance. Even Mike Martz came out recently and said the same.

That's not including the contract.
And yet your sf gurus still gave up 3 firsts for what you call abomination, and still allegedly failed to develop him.

Doesnt sound too guru-ish to me.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
And yet your sf gurus still gave up 3 firsts for what you call abomination, and still allegedly failed to develop him.

Doesnt sound too guru-ish to me.
All the other QBs they have had have turned into pretty decent QBs. For them to give up on Lance after using 3 1st round picks to move up and draft him, train and play for for 2.5 years, yet suddenly give up and trade him? That should tell you everything about the player.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All the other QBs they have had have turned into pretty decent QBs. For them to give up on Lance after using 3 1st round picks to move up and draft him, train and play for for 2.5 years, yet suddenly give up and trade him? That should tell you everything about the player.
It tells me sf royally screwed it up.

So in your head...teamz move on from players simply because they suck? Well not always true for one...and you...STILL refuse to admit sf screwed up on him.

You sure you aint 9ers fan?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
It tells me sf royally screwed it up.

So in your head...teamz move on from players simply because they suck? Well not always true for one...and you...STILL refuse to admit sf screwed up on him.

You sure you aint 9ers fan?
Duh! Of course SF screwed up giving up 3 1st round picks for some BUST of a QB who hardly had any QB experience in college. Yet, you still want him?

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Duh! Of course SF screwed up giving up 3 1st round picks for some BUST of a QB who hardly had any QB experience in college. Yet, you still want him?
Never said that. If we succeed where sf failed...keep him. If he gets a shot and does in fact suck...no.

You've based your assessment on suspect circumstantial evidence, and of course your DDS. You dont even want to just see for yourself.... it might threaten dak.

I said "might".

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
There’s nothing really “desperate” about it. The Cowboys had Lance rated as a high second round pick who they traded a fourth for. A young player with potential who lost time due to injury and the book is still out on. It is low risk high reward. The move may not work out, but so it is the same for any 4th round pick. Lance is only looked down upon by Dak-Stans and those who look upon him from the perspective of how much another team gave up to get him and decided to move on from because they lucked into finding faster the QB they decided to go with. The Cowboys did not need to do the same nor did they give up anything remotely close so it’s irrelevant and the people who keep focusing it on this fact only show their cognitive bias for the reasons already given.
Lance's body of work surely didn't justify a 4th round draft pick to be awarded to the 49ers when a guy like Zack Wilson went for a sixth rounder.