Twitter: Trey Lance trade was an abomination

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It was not a number 4 pick. A number 4 pick does not make $5M a year a number 4 pick is on your roster for 4 years not a year and a half.

Question for you?

Should we in the future draft a player in the 4th round that we know will never play on the field over a 4 year period?

The answer 100% of the time is NO.
Of course its a 4th round pick. Lets stick with facts rather than your....er...stories.

SO you "know" he'll never play eh? Mkay. I hope for sake of my Cowboys tou are wrong. I hope for the sake of your ego you are right.

When you draft a player anywhere....NOTHING is 100%.

3 strikes and you're out.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Of course its a 4th round pick. Lets stick with facts rather than your....er...stories.

SO you "know" he'll never play eh? Mkay. I hope for sake of my Cowboys tou are wrong. I hope for the sake of your ego you are right.

So believe Trance will start this year? Ok.

plymkr

Reaction score
100% blatantly obvious.

its-crystal-clear-wiz-khalifa.gif
Lol, I think you’re jealous of my detective skills.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
I think it was worth taking a chance on.....if Dak is unreasonable, Lance could very well be our next QB. People say we overpaid, but they don't criticize SF for trading a top 1st rounder for a 4th round pick...the ignorance around here never stops.
I live in Northern California. 49ers fans spread all over like athlete’s foot. Fans blame that move for why they have not won the last two Super Bowls. That may be a bit over the top, but they are slow to excuse that faux pas. The 49ers have five picks in the first 4 rounds this week. The Cowboys have three. How much the Cowboys “overpaid” may well be what kind of NFL player pick number 124 turns out to be.

Mikexike

Reaction score
I live in Northern California. 49ers fans spread all over like athlete’s foot. Fans blame that move for why they have not won the last two Super Bowls. That may be a bit over the top, but they are slow to excuse that faux pas. The 49ers have five picks in the first 4 rounds this week. The Cowboys have three. How much the Cowboys “overpaid” may well be what kind of NFL player pick number 124 turns out to be.
Norcal for me too! Can't stand these 49er fans.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score

There seems to be no plan to ever find out if Trey Lance can be a competent NFL quarterback. Jerry Jones is talking about waiting for more leafs to fall and/or more cards to be played before making a decision on Dak. TC and preseason games are not enough to know if a quarterback is going to be a better option at QB1 than Dak Prescott. If Lance never gets on the field no one is ever going to know. He’s getting paid like a first round pick in his fourth year and the Cowboys have not indicated so much as a notion to get him legitimate NFL game action. This Saturday San Francisco, barring a trade, will be selecting a player with the 124th pick. You’ll be watching. In a year the Cowboys could use all the draft picks they can get they’ve blown one off for a guy they can’t figure out how to even get in a real game. There is no solace in the fact the 49ers’ trade for Trey Lance was even more stupid than the Cowboys’ trade for him.

Chasing6

Reaction score
There seems to be no plan to ever find out if Trey Lance can be a competent NFL quarterback. Jerry Jones is talking about waiting for more leafs to fall and/or more cards to be played before making a decision on Dak. TC and preseason games are not enough to know if a quarterback is going to be a better option at QB1 than Dak Prescott. If Lance never gets on the field no one is ever going to know. He’s getting paid like a first round pick in his fourth year and the Cowboys have not indicated so much as a notion to get him legitimate NFL game action. This Saturday San Francisco, barring a trade, will be selecting a player with the 124th pick. You’ll be watching. In a year the Cowboys could use all the draft picks they can get they’ve blown one off for a guy they can’t figure out how to even get in a real game. There is no solace in the fact the 49ers’ trade for Trey Lance was even more stupid than the Cowboys’ trade for him.
Only way anyone will find out will be after next season at the earliest. This is why it was a dumb trade from the beginning.

At that point he will be 6 years removed from any significant playing time, after only playing 1 year in college and basically being a RB in HS.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Imnot looking for solace im looking for facts. Abysmal pick by 9ers if in fact trey never plays again.
I think jerry did it for 2 reasons....to once again show everyone his art of the deal:rolleyes::facepalm: and insurance policy.
Sometimes hopefully you never use insurance.
Theres a big lack of info and data...very unusual....specially for jeryy....i just dont know why some people are so hopeful and enthusiastic that equates his demise.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Imnot looking for solace im looking for facts. Abysmal pick by 9ers if in fact trey never plays again.
I think jerry did it for 2 reasons....to once again show everyone his art of the deal:rolleyes::facepalm: and insurance policy.
Sometimes hopefully you never use insurance.
Theres a big lack of info and data...very unusual....specially for jeryy....i just dont know why some people are so hopeful and enthusiastic that equates his demise.
I have never been enamored with the combine, measureables and 40 times. I am not a fan of high ceilings.

I am a fan of game film and low floors and if this combines with great measurables awesome.

But if you don't have good game film, struggled to get on the field in college, but are a great athlete with measurablens(meaning potential), you are a day 3 pick for me no matter what.

Picks 1, 2 and 3 need to be football players, not athletes trying to learn how to play football.

lostar2009

Reaction score
I mean a 4th rounder for a qb that could be molded isnt a bad deal. After his contract he may stay in Dallas to season up, who know where this pick will go in 3-4 years. But we already know Coop has a ceiling, and Lance is still under evaluation. If anything look at what teams paid to initially draft the QBs in 2021. Right now the trade is still under evaluation.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I mean a 4th rounder for a qb that could be molded isnt a bad deal. After his contract he may stay in Dallas to season up, who know where this pick will go in 3-4 years. But we already know Coop has a ceiling, and Lance is still under evaluation. If anything look at what teams paid to initially draft the QBs in 2021. Right now the trade is still under evaluation.
Still under evaluation according to who?

The Niners completed their evaluation and punted I second down. Shanahan never wanted Trance. It was a Lynch decision to trade up and draft him. Shanahan wanted to stay put and take Mac Jones.

Shanahan new he only needed a bus driver. Lynch wanted a potential race car, that had no breaks.

People keep saying it was only a 4th round pick. It was not really a 4th round pick.

A 4th round pick gives you 4 years to devyams evaluate. We had 1.5 years. A 4th does not cost $5M.

We have evaluated enough to pass on his 5th year option. We seen enough to not allow him to run the scout team offense. We have seen enough to allow him to only compete with Rush for the back up position.

The 4th round pick expires at the end of the year and it will require another investment, because he will not play this year.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
All Trey Lance has to do is work out better than the players selected 124th through 257th in the NFL draft this week. Every single one on the men selected in those picks could have been Dallas Cowboys. No pressure.

Chasing6

Reaction score
All Trey Lance has to do is work out better than the players selected 124th through 257th in the NFL draft this week. Every single one on the men selected in those picks could have been Dallas Cowboys. No pressure.
Well they would have 4 years and Trance will have 1 year. Trance will not play. Hopefully over 4 years they would. They also would not cost $5M over the 4 years.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Cowboys EVP Stephen Jones on @1053thefan on QB Trey Lance: “He’s done nothing but excite us even more as he’s worked here all of last season and in the offseason, in terms of his work ethic, his skill level. We’re very pleased.
“He exhibits everything you would think a top 5/top 10 pick would exhibit. … Trey exhibits a similar type of work ethic (to Dak Prescott). Obviously, Trey is a really good athlete, and the most important thing is his arm. He’s got a very live arm, very strong arm. He continues to improve with his footwork and his accuracy.”

dang sounds like daks replace is almost ready according to the cap expert. I wonder why they haven't extended dak. hum

kskboys

Reaction score
EXACTLY. I can think of a number of trades we made that qualify but not that one. A 4th is nice to have but it can never be that important
I mean, I wouldn't have made that trade, but trading a 4th for a backup QB is simply not relevant.

Hey, at least it wasn't Matt Cassell w/ zero upside!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kskboys

Reaction score
Zach Wilson is damaged goods at this point. My alma mater kicked his you know what and he's never been the same since. He's had more than ample opportunity to start and develop and the odds of him amounting to anything are small. Mac Jones just doesn't have the arm talent. If I'm a Bears fan I'm disappointed that they got a 6th round pick for Justin Fields when Justin Fields probably has higher upside than Zach Wilson at this point.
Have you watched Justin Fields play? I mean, this guy is godawful. I think the two are equal. 6th, 5th, whatever.

For some very odd reason, the media starting propping Justin Fields up. Started making fans think he was worth something. Never made sense. Won a CNote off one of my friends who bought into the ridiculous Fields boosting being done by media.

If you offered me Fields or ZWilson, I'd take whomever was cheaper.