Twitter: Trey Lance trade was an abomination

8FOR!3

Reaction score
Have you watched Justin Fields play? I mean, this guy is godawful. I think the two are equal. 6th, 5th, whatever.

For some very odd reason, the media starting propping Justin Fields up. Started making fans think he was worth something. Never made sense. Won a CNote off one of my friends who bought into the ridiculous Fields boosting being done by media.

If you offered me Fields or ZWilson, I'd take whomever was cheaper.
Fields is at least a runner (not that Wilson can’t run but he’s a little slower). I have seen Wilson play a lot I haven’t seen fields play as much tbh

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
And if that scenario plays out then yes Jerry can say "I stole him"...if he can not play it would be very hard to say it was a good trade compared to the other QB trades...thats all this is saying..on the surface it looks like a reach for a 4th pick compared to the value others recieved for QB's with more playing time and some success...
Do you regret having insurance you never end up using? Of course not. It's the price of doing smart business.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Do you regret having insurance you never end up using? Of course not. It's the price of doing smart business.
Sam Darnold was insurance for the Niners. Not Trance.

Would you regret being underinsured during an emergency??? I would.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Trey Lance will be 24 next month. That's about the same age as a couple of the top prospects in this year's draft. lance is entering his 3rd season.

He is being "reset" by the Cowboys. He needed further development when he came out of college but was put on the field too early when the other 49er QB's were unavailable. He started very few games in college but his potential was clear.

If he can show the Cowboys something during next preseason then they will resign him the same way they did Romo when his contract expired before throwing a single regular season pass.

I'm not saying that Trey Lance is the next Cowboys Hall of Fame QB, I'm just saying that the potential exists, he is a gifted athlete. It's happened before, the team that drafts the guy sees nothing in him and decides to cut their losses only for that QB to be special playing for another team.

The Falcons drafted Bret Favre, the Bucs drafted Steve Young and the Chargers drafted Drew Brees. That's three HOFers (or future) and the teams that drafted them wanted someone else. Let's see how this plays out.
We can only hope Lance lives up to his draft status.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Trey Lance will be 24 next month. That's about the same age as a couple of the top prospects in this year's draft. lance is entering his 3rd season.

He is being "reset" by the Cowboys. He needed further development when he came out of college but was put on the field too early when the other 49er QB's were unavailable. He started very few games in college but his potential was clear.

If he can show the Cowboys something during next preseason then they will resign him the same way they did Romo when his contract expired before throwing a single regular season pass.

I'm not saying that Trey Lance is the next Cowboys Hall of Fame QB, I'm just saying that the potential exists, he is a gifted athlete. It's happened before, the team that drafts the guy sees nothing in him and decides to cut their losses only for that QB to be special playing for another team.

The Falcons drafted Bret Favre, the Bucs drafted Steve Young and the Chargers drafted Drew Brees. That's three HOFers (or future) and the teams that drafted them wanted someone else. Let's see how this plays out.
And Trance has less experience than all of the top picks in this draft, after 3 years in the NFL.

coult44

Reaction score
We paid the most for the QB who has done the least from that ‘21 draft.

Lance has reportedly shown little to nothing in practice so far in his time in Dallas.

We won’t have a 4th round pick in a draft where gurus are saying there will be plenty of 3rd round grades available in the 4th rd.

To put a cherry on top, we’re probably going to end up losing Lance for nothing after this season.

Shambolic front office.

Last 5 fourth round picks…Fehoko, Ferguson, Cox, Ball, Robinson.

Who freaking cares!!! It’s not like the pick matters.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Kirk Herbstreit made an interesting comment. He said 46 QBs have been selected in the first round since 2009 and only 16 became franchise QBs. Not very good odds, even in the first round.

erod

Reaction score
Kirk Herbstreit made an interesting comment. He said 46 QBs have been selected in the first round since 2009 and only 16 became franchise QBs. Not very good odds, even in the first round.
It is conceiveable that not one QB in this draft will be any better than Trey Lance. Not likely, but possible.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It is conceiveable that not one QB in this draft will be any better than Trey Lance. Not likely, but possible.
They’ll be at least a couple in the first round that will be no better than Zach Wilson, Sam Darnold, Mitch Trubisk, just to name a few. Only one may become a true franchise QB.

erod

Reaction score
They’ll be at least a couple in the first round that will be no better than Zach Wilson, Sam Darnold, Mitch Trubisk, just to name a few. Only one may become a true franchise QB.
Or none. They all look like busts at this level.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Or none. They all look like busts at this level.
That’s the chance you take drafting a QB high. No guarantees! If you’re going to take one high you better really need one.

erod

Reaction score
That’s the chance you take drafting a QB high. No guarantees! If you’re going to take one high you better really need one.
College quarterbacks don't even take snaps from center in high school or college. They literally have to learn to do that in the NFL now.

They also get to throw to wide open receivers in spread offenses against so few good defensive players. The NFL isn't like that.

That's why there's one Joe Burrow in every 30 first-round quarterbacks taken now.

The NFL has 3-4 elite quarterbacks, if that. The rest are average or suck. It wasn't like that in the 90s, when there were many terrific quarterbacks in the league.

It's a problem.