Tropical Storm / Hurricane Harvey

waldoputty

Reaction score
Yes Irma is already CAT2 projected for CAT4 - but who knows where it is going.

In addition, i am actually more worried about a tropical low that is much closer. it is developing in the grey area next to mexico (fig 1) and much of water temp is between 84-88F (fig 2)

fig 1 http://www.nola.com/hurricane/index.ssf/2017/08/national_hurricane_center_34.html
fig 2 https://marine.rutgers.edu/cool/sat...st_comp/noaa/2017/img/170830.242.comp.lnt.jpg

"Development, if any, of this system is expected to be slow to occur as the low moves slowly northward. If this system does develop, it could bring additional rainfall to portions of the Texas and Louisiana coasts.
However, any rainfall forecast is uncertain at this time range and it is too soon to determine any specific impacts. Interests in these areas should monitor the progress of this system for the next few days.
The Hurricane Center gave the system a 20 percent chance of tropical formation over the next five days."

23331547-mmmain.png

170830.242.comp.lnt.jpg

Last edited:

waldoputty

Reaction score
Here are projected paths for Irma with a large % going harmless into northern atlantic.
only 1 of those numerous paths takes it close to Houston/Texas, though many go to Florida and some to New Orleans...

John813

Reaction score
I know I'm leaving Florida if that is going to hit near me as a strong 3+.

Shutters and peace out.
Don't need to put my wife through that type of storm at this time.

waldoputty

Reaction score
I know I'm leaving Florida if that is going to hit near me as a strong 3+.

Shutters and peace out.
Don't need to put my wife through that type of storm at this time.

where is florida are u?
i am in LA/SF now but want to leave.
some of the time will hopefully be in asia.

i always wanted to spend time in fl for the winter, but this hurricane stuff makes me not want to buy anything.
instead looks like NH/maine coast close to @dexternjack for me

John813

Reaction score
where is florida are u?
i am in LA/SF now but want to leave.
some of the time will hopefully be in asia.

i always wanted to spend time in fl for the winter, but this hurricane stuff makes me not want to buy anything.
instead looks like NH/maine coast close to @dexternjack for me

South East Florida. Reside in Port St. Lucie(Giants fan 2nd home aka a bunch of NY people live here due to the Mets).

"Winter" time in Florida is amazing. Especially from January to beginning of March.
We have had a good decade of no major storms, so hoping we can get another year notched on that belt.

waldoputty

Reaction score
South East Florida. Reside in Port St. Lucie(Giants fan 2nd home aka a bunch of NY people live here due to the Mets).

"Winter" time in Florida is amazing. Especially from January to beginning of March.
We have had a good decade of no major storms, so hoping we can get another year notched on that belt.

yes lets hope so.
it is like someone launching mortars from africa and nobody knows where they will land...
for me, i want to leave SF/LA with no more work to do here and the impending earthquake that will have no warning.

Last edited:

John813

Reaction score
yes lets hope so.
it is like someone launching mortars from africa and nobody knows where they will land...
another reason i want to leave SF/LA with no more work to do here and the impending earthquake that will have no warning.

Pretty much.

Every year we seem to have one "scare", but the storm would turn away last second. Hell, last year with Matthew, we were spared and only got some hurricane gusts when it wobbled away from Florida.

I love the area, and work is one definite factor in keeping me here. However, I love Dallas, so I may re-think moving if we get a strong of bad years.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Pretty much.

Every year we seem to have one "scare", but the storm would turn away last second. Hell, last year with Matthew, we were spared and only got some hurricane gusts when it wobbled away from Florida.

I love the area, and work is one definite factor in keeping me here. However, I love Dallas, so I may re-think moving if we get a strong of bad years.

yup.
it is safer to be in the gulf than cali since you get a few days of warning but we get a few seconds of warning.

for me, i am thinking NH/Maine coast or Denver to stay away from the well known hazards - tornadoes, hurricanes and quakes.
if needed, a snow blizzard can be avoided with one-week trip to visit different friends.
also you do not risk major property damage unlike hurricanes and quakes...

waldoputty

Reaction score
Last edited:

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Well, set out to head home to Houston tomorrow. My flight was canceled twice, on the 3rd booking now.....fingers crossed. My wife sent me some pictures of the house, it got about 6ft of water. There is a long road ahead of us and all of League City looks like a war zone.

She even went by my childhood home in Clear Creek Village. I grew up there for 20 years and that house has been flooded twice(Alicia and Claudette). Both times it got up to around 4ft. So, this time was totally different, the water went up on to the roof and the whole lower half of the neighborhood was destroyed.

Couple that with my childhood friend who lived next door posting pics(flood photos) of his old home on FB. I completely lost it and haven't cried like that in 20 years :( It brought back so many memories.

This is just devastating and really hasn't hit me until tonight. I am at a loss here and overwhelmed. My home city has been forever changed and it will not recover for a very long time.

I need to get home, I need to get there now, the damage is 100 times worse than what is shown on TV
interpretation-im-crying-so-much-i-have-snot-coming-out-my.jpg

waldoputty

Reaction score
Well, set out to head home to Houston tomorrow. My flight was canceled twice, on the 3rd booking now.....fingers crossed. My wife sent me some pictures of the house, it got about 6ft of water. There is a long road ahead of us and all of League City looks like a war zone.

She even went by my childhood home in Clear Creek Village. I grew up there for 20 years and that house has been flooded twice(Alicia and Claudette). Both times it got up to around 4ft. So, this time was totally different, the water went up on to the roof and the whole lower half of the neighborhood was destroyed.

Couple that with my childhood friend who lived next door posting pics(flood photos) of his old home on FB. I completely lost it and haven't cried like that in 20 years :( It brought back so many memories.

This is just devastating and really hasn't hit me until tonight. I am at a loss here and overwhelmed. My home city has been forever changed and it will not recover for a very long time.

I need to get home, I need to get there now, the damage is 100 times worse than what is shown on TV

sorry bro.
it really does take a while for things to sink in.
tears are good for the soul though...

there will actually a lot of rebuilding so the economy may be quite good.
lots of cars will probably be purchased also so again a boon for the economy.
though some with less equity in their house could abandon them...

i know people who have rebuilt from a massive pipe burst disaster.
to avoid mold, they need to remove the flooring (including plywood) and dry wall.
then they use some plastic foam stuff to encapsulate the major beams before changing out some/most of the minor beams.
if you dont know the cost per sq ft and typical dry wall cost, pm me.

the bigger decision is how to avoid future floods.
i seriously think they need to allow jacking up houses by at least 5 feet.
you guys had 3 500-year floods 3 years in a row, so people got to start expecting a serious level of water.

good luck in TX.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
sorry bro.
it really does take a while for things to sink in.
tears are good for the soul though...

there will actually a lot of rebuilding so the economy may be quite good.
lots of cars will probably be purchased also so again a boon for the economy.
though some with less equity in their house could abandon them...

i know people who have rebuilt from a massive pipe burst disaster.
to avoid mold, they need to remove the flooring (including plywood) and dry wall.
then they use some plastic foam stuff to encapsulate the major beams before changing out some/most of the minor beams.
if you dont know the cost per sq ft and typical dry wall cost, pm me.

the bigger decision is how to avoid future floods.
i seriously think they need to allow jacking up houses by at least 5 feet.
you guys had 3 500-year floods 3 years in a row, so people got to start expecting a serious level of water.

good luck in TX.

Appreciate it and we will have to power forward. I feel terrible for our state, not just my community. Even La took a big hit and needs help.

Fortunately, this is not a financial issue for my family, it is 100% emotional for us. We will be fine but our extended families are hurt badly and most lost everything. They did not have flood insurance and are living in shelters.

I feel like Texas has minimal support outside our state and many are rejoiced at this disaster......that deeply hurts. There have been a few celebrities donate but crickets from the majority.

It is amazing too see what money has been raised, outstanding really. This state needs help. I have new respect for the Kardashians and I love the Rock and Hart for their efforts.

My wife has donated as well but it seems hollow considering we are going through it. People think Katrina was bad........this dwarfs it :(

waldoputty

Reaction score
Appreciate it and we will have to power forward. I feel terrible for our state, not just my community. Even La took a big hit and needs help.

Fortunately, this is not a financial issue for my family, it is 100% emotional for us. We will be fine but our extended families are hurt badly and most lost everything. They did not have flood insurance and are living in shelters.

I feel like Texas has minimal support outside our state and many are rejoiced at this disaster......that deeply hurts. There have been a few celebrities donate but crickets from the majority.

It is amazing too see what money has been raised, outstanding really. This state needs help. I have new respect for the Kardashians and I love the Rock and Hart for their efforts.

My wife has donated as well but it seems hollow considering we are going through it. People think Katrina was bad........this dwarfs it :(

Glad to hear u r financially fine.

There will almost certainly be federal loans to help, if that is any consolation.
Not to sound corny, but what is irreplaceable are the people.

Take heart. Dont confuse the loud minority as the great silent majority.
Though texans can probably better commiserate with the folks in NY after Hurricane Sandy and the trouble they had getting their funding after their disaster.

Furthermore, lets hope this does not happen to Texas homeowners:
"Since the federal government began disbursing taxpayer money from a $48 billion storm recovery fund in March 2013, just 23 percent, or $11.09 billion, had been paid out as of September 2014, according to the latest data from the U.S. Recovery Accountability and Transparency Office.
More than half of the distributed funds -- about $6.5 billion -- has passed through the Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Administration to cover immediate expenses, such as reimbursing local government for the cost of cleanup crew overtime and housing assistance to those washed out of their homes with nowhere to stay.
But the aid for rebuilding these homes has largely remained untapped. Local nonprofits and state officials blame Washington for creating a complicated process of authorizing and approving disbursements, despite the “no bureaucracy, no red tape” promise from President Barack Obama.
$14 BILLION IN UNTAPPED HUD MONEY
The Department of Housing And Urban Development, which received a $15.2 billion budget -- the largest share of the recovery fund -- has paid out only $1.75 billion, leaving nearly $14 billion untapped as the region heads into the third year of recovery."

http://www.ibtimes.com/hurricane-sa...ions-dollars-federal-aid-still-unpaid-1715019

SlammedZero

Reaction score
From what I've seen, it sounds like to me West and North West Houston have the flooding. Anybody know why that is? That part of the city have a lower elevation? I'm just curious. I figured the flooding would be more towards the Gulf.

coogrfan

Reaction score
From what I've seen, it sounds like to me West and North West Houston have the flooding. Anybody know why that is? That part of the city have a lower elevation? I'm just curious. I figured the flooding would be more towards the Gulf.

Proximity to rivers/creeks/bayous/reservoirs seems to have been the determining factor.

Them

Reaction score

...I'm so sorry to hear about your worries and pains, I pray the good Lord will get you through all of it!