Tropical Storm / Hurricane Harvey

waldoputty

Reaction score
Bless their hearts trying to get to safety, that's just terrible. RIP It's all very upsetting and I can't take much more. I've done all I can do and seen all I can see for the past couple of days on the coast. :(

I think I will go home (Abilene) tomorrow to dry out and recharge my batteries. Maybe I'll be back in September to help some more.

5 *s for u!

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
given 3 500-year floods in 3 years (if true), i think the strict building codes should consider raising the houses by at least 5 feet.
people need to adapt to the new reality.

A few years back(20+) when my state really got on the stick and went totally overboard on issuing permits to install mobile homes in certain areas due to " 100 year sheet flood" areas the code requirements had it to be blocked 54" above grade,,,along with anchoring and specific tie- down systems,,, in certain areas,,,,Sheese ! That's when I'd gotten a belly full of playing that trailer game,,,considering the fact there was site built brick homes within 200' on each side side of that guys property ( they just didn't want a trailer house in that hood,,,, but they got one anyway!!!! 4.5' hung off the ground,,, it still looks hilariously stupid rammed up in there,),,:lmao:

waldoputty

Reaction score
A few years back(20+) when my state really got on the stick and went totally overboard on issuing permits to install mobile homes in certain areas due to " 100 year sheet flood" areas the code requirements had it to be blocked 54" above grade,,,along with anchoring and specific tie- down systems,,, in certain areas,,,,Sheese ! That's when I'd gotten a belly full of playing that trailer game,,,considering the fact there was site built brick homes within 200' on each side side of that guys property ( they just didn't want a trailer house in that hood,,,, but they got one anyway!!!! 4.5' hung off the ground,,, it still looks hilariously stupid rammed up in there,),,:lmao:

:cool: - there u r - i can see u !

0e19e61be088cb703bc71760531489d7--vintage-trailers-mobile-homes.jpg

Last edited:

waldoputty

Reaction score
Good grief - chemical plant (organic peroxides) will explode soon... rocket fuel type stuff, wonderful

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/h...-near-houston-likely-explode-facility-n797581

One of the world's largest chemical companies warned Wednesday that its flooded plant near Houston will likely catch fire and explode in the next few days — and there's nothing the company can do about it.

Arkema Group's plant in Crosby, Texas — about 20 miles northeast of Houston — was inundated by more than 40 inches of rain by Hurricane Harvey and has been without electricity since Sunday, the company, based in Colombes, France, said in a statement.

haleyrules

Reaction score
Here's something that will turn that frown upside down.
I'm ecstatic to report Kenneth L. Storey, a sociology professor at the University Of Tampa was fired just two days after posting, “I dont believe in instant Karma but this kinda feels like it for Texas. Hopefully this will help them realize the GOP doesnt care about them.” What kind of a monster is this man to wish this on innocent people and turn a Hurricane disaster into a political topic. REALLY?!
Unlike the professor, I do BELIEVE IN INSTANT KARMA. ;)
Yeah. What a dunce! How the educated have fallen.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
wait, so the high speed debris flow would even cut into the concrete or the soil around/under the concrete?
kind of like what happened to the reservoir in Cali.
Ya,that hydraulic action is powerful stuff,,, not necessarily like a pressure jet thru concrete like a nozzled pressurized cutter but once it Breach's cracks in concrete and starts doing it's thing ,,,hell its probably washing out miles of sewer main lines,natural gas transmission ,ect. lines 8-12 foot down in depth for all any body knows

waldoputty

Reaction score
Ya,that hydraulic action is powerful stuff,,, not necessarily like a pressure jet thru concrete like a nozzled pressurized cutter but once it Breach's cracks in concrete and starts doing it's thing ,,,hell its probably washing out miles of sewer main lines,natural gas transmission ,ect. lines 8-12 foot down in depth for all any body knows

yep here are a few pics of the lake oroville spillway with blue helicopter at right to give reference for scaling.
high pressure water...

damagedorovilledam_3_2.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn0.***NOT-ALLOWED***/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTCpth-ONpXOWoWzY9SRNmozBAl2hsvsYeFnQjGVQEAAq4EN-6D

waldoputty

Reaction score
We got a new one out there, Irma.

750x422

assuming it has a diameter of 400 miles and it continues to grow, there are at least 4000 miles of coast line it can head to. may be at least 6000 miles. so less than a 10% chance or 5% chance it hits houston.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
assuming it has a diameter of 400 miles and it continues to grow, there are at least 4000 miles of coast line it can head to. may be at least 6000 miles. so less than a 10% chance or 5% chance it hits houston.

My self-taught Hurricane tracking skills tells me it hits Florida, not sure which coast yet.