Video: Troy Aikman on accuracy: You either have it or you don't

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Everyone is entitled to their opinion we keep hearing the same crap over and over and over!

Why are we so critical of one QB?? The guy takes us to the playoffs twice in three years wins the NFC East Division and some of you still can't accept that..

Why are we dissecting every little play every little comment and not looking at the big picture they won with Dak Prescott!

They went from a three and five record to winning the division with Dak Prescott.

They beat the New Orleans Saints with Dak Prescott

They beat the Super Bowl champion Eagles twice which helped them keep the Eagles fighting for a wild-card who we wont face by the way with Dak Prescott.

These threads are ridiculous it needs to stop because it doesn't matter they do, you guys will hate on your QB
If the threads are ridiculous and you just want to be a cheerleader why are you posting in them for? I hope you give Jason and Lineuan the same props for doing all this stuff your jumping up and down for Dak about.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Aikman was a accurate passer, according to most. And he says "you either have it or you don't", correct?

Another point is that if you watch the clip in the OP, Aikman isn't talking about having enough accuracy to be successful in the NFL because he begins by saying Dallas can win with Dak at QB.

He is talking about developing the type of elite, pinpoint accuracy that he had. Very few QBs have that and plenty of QBs have played in the Pro Bowl that didn't.

khiladi

Reaction score
Yes, all four of them.

Dak can’t even call any, which is why guys like you always blame Linehan.. Guy can’t even anticipate a throw staring down a wide open WR, let alone handling play calling duties while staring them down, even if there were only ‘four of them’.

Ddisco22

Reaction score
If the threads are ridiculous and you just want to be a cheerleader why are you posting in them for? I hope you give Jason and Lineuan the same props for doing all this stuff your jumping up and down for Dak about.
Obviously you're not reading, I'm a fan not a cheerleader. I've been a Cowboys fan for over 40 years and we are winning and that's good enough with me.
I'm not saying that Prescott isn't playing bad football I'm not disagreeing with what some of the analysts are saying, I'm just not understanding why some of you won't accept that we are winning.

Dodger12

Reaction score
Rogers was inaccurate in college but now is one of the most accurate QB’s playing. Stafford was also questioned for his inaccuracies coming out of college. It can be developed by working on your mechanics. Dak has a long way to go there.

What are you talking about? Do you just make **** up and hope it sticks? Rodgers was plenty accurate and good in college and he had Cal ranked top 5. He also holds the Cal career record for lowest percentage of passes intercepted at 1.95 percent and tied the NCCA record for consecutive completed passes in a game (23). The only question about him was if he was a "system" QB and if it would translate to the NFL.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I feel like Dak should take off more in those situations, but either through coaching or not wanting to go, he seems reluctant. One area for massive improvement for Dak would be feeling where the pocket is soft and moving into that spot. Not sure if that skill is coachable or not.

I think the designed runs are purely about the opponent. In critical situations or in big games, they call designed runs. But you don't want to do that all the time because you are asking for an injury if you do.

Dak is fine moving in the pocket, the issue isn't his awareness but the fact the OL has been awful. We as fans were spoiled watching the excellent OL we had, this year there are plays were Sua-Filo or Adam Redmond didn't even slow down the DT that got a sack on Prescott. No QB has a chance when a DT is in his face two seconds after the snap.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Dak can’t even call any, which is why guys like you always blame Linehan.. Guy can’t even anticipate a throw staring down a wide open WR, let alone handling play calling duties while staring them down, even if there were only ‘four of them’.

Unserious post.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
I've been trying to not critique Troy because he's one of my all time favorite Cowboys, but I can't stay quiet anymore. He's right to a certain extent, but he's also wrong in other ways. This stuff about "either you are accurate as a passer coming into the league... or you're not" is a bunch of bull. Any QB can improve on their accuracy if they work hard at it and consistently.

Hey, Troy, how did your accuracy help you out your last 3-4 years with the Cowboys when that Great Wall Oline was depleted, Novacek had retired, Irvin was forced to retire due to injury, Harper left via free agency, and you couldn't "lead" the team to the playoffs anymore? You know, like when you were constantly getting concussed due to having two left feet and unable to scramble away from incoming blitzers? Where was your accuracy then? Easy to talk about "accuracy" when you have the best Oline in franchise history, plus some of the very best receiving weapons in franchise history, alongside with the best RB in NFL history. But when you lost most of your Oline, plus your top receiving weapons, where was your "you either have it or not" accuracy?

Wow, Troy, you sound bad. Where was the "it factor" your last 4 years? How about your first 2-3 years? Why didn't your "accuracy" help you then?

Jerry Jones gets "it", Troy. You don't. Thanks a lot for the indirect Jerry and Dak bashings. :facepalm:

So examples of quarterbacks who started out very inaccurate but later became very accurate in the NFL, please.

TheHerd

Reaction score
I think the designed runs are purely about the opponent. In critical situations or in big games, they call designed runs. But you don't want to do that all the time because you are asking for an injury if you do.

Dak is fine moving in the pocket, the issue isn't his awareness but the fact the OL has been awful. We as fans were spoiled watching the excellent OL we had, this year there are plays were Sua-Filo or Adam Redmond didn't even slow down the DT that got a sack on Prescott. No QB has a chance when a DT is in his face two seconds after the snap.
I'm not really talking about designed runs, but the decision to go when things break down.

I agree the line has been crap this year - I've been beat up on here a lot for saying that. In fact there are often 2 or 3 DL in his face before he even looks downfield.

But unlike so many of here it's not either/or for me. Dak also doesn't always find the soft spot in the pocket to give himself some room or to get a running lane opened up. Both Dak and the line are culpable for the 50+ sacks. Only the haters blame Dak for all of them.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Obviously you're not reading, I'm a fan not a cheerleader. I've been a Cowboys fan for over 40 years and we are winning and that's good enough with me.
I'm not saying that Prescott isn't playing bad football I'm not disagreeing with what some of the analysts are saying, I'm just not understanding why some of you won't accept that we are winning.
Obviously I am reading. You're a cheerleader or else you wouldn't have said that stuff a cheerleader or the family member of the player would say. You'd have more awareness than that but you didn't in this case so all I can gather is you're a cheerleader on this topic. If winning is all that matters why are you posting since you should be happy they are winning? You been a fan long enough and should know you can't change people's minds? What the hell winnig gotta do with avg qb play? Like I said do you go in Jason or Linehan thread asking the same thing? We all should always keep trying to find things to improve on and qb play always get too much credit and blame. You been a fan for 40 years and don't know that?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
What are you talking about? Do you just make **** up and hope it sticks? Rodgers was plenty accurate and good in college and he had Cal ranked top 5. He also holds the Cal career record for lowest percentage of passes intercepted at 1.95 percent and tied the NCCA record for consecutive completed passes in a game (23). The only question about him was if he was a "system" QB and if it would translate to the NFL.
Not making anything up. Jaworski said he couldn’t pass deep because of his mechanics.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Fine, but why would you read a thread then whose very title would suggest some negative view points?
Exaclty folks come into thread where you know how it's likely to be talking nonsense like you quoted. Nobody is stopping you from enjoying the win. Enjoy it but you people would probably have more enjoyment not trying to rile themselves up coming in threads you know will make upset.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
tiger woods was always modifying his swing even while at the height of his game. many golfers do. ergo, I don't necessarily buy the premise you have it or you don't. Nolan ryan made his bones with a fast ball. his last few years he had one of the best hooks (curve balls) in the game. accuracy is a function of proper mechanics. those can be taught and learned.
The difference though, is with those examples the target is stationary.

Throwing to a moving target adds a few more variables that must be processed. Every throw is a completely different situation. It's the ability to process those variables and make the accurate throw that is innate for the consistently accurate QB's.

The comebacks and the go routes have less variables so are easier to complete. Crossing routes and posts require more anticipation and are harder to complete.

To my eyes Dak needs to see the target and throw to what he sees. He struggles with calculating where his target is going to be when the ball gets there and throwing to that spot.

rags747

Reaction score
Im with Troy on this, you can either throw the ball or you cannot. If If's and But's were Candy and Nuts, "We would all have a very Merry Christmas". Ty and Happy New Year as well!