Video: Troy Aikman on accuracy: You either have it or you don't

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Lol, youre a joke. You justcompared a qb from the 70s to a qb in 2018 like the rules havent changed
If you were old enough to see some of Bradshaw's games, he certainly wasn't accurate. It doesn't matter what era you play in. Go watch some old films and get educated.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
With a good O-line, I'd take Troy over just about anyone......With a bad O-line, I'd take Romo over Troy.
Aikman didn't always have the greatest line. And contrary to what many suggest, Aikman could run the ball. He made everyone on offense better, he demanded it.

jwitten82

Reaction score
If you were old enough to see some of Bradshaw's games, he certainly wasn't accurate. It doesn't matter what era you play in. Go watch some old films and get educated.
Uhh it does matter when db's were allowed to get away with much more at that time. Im gonna get you hooked on phonics

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
The logic some of y'all use is so laughable it isn't funny. I hope y'all keep this type of logic to online and don't say such offline. It's not worth noting that accurate qbs overthrow receivers all the time because nobody said they didn't smh. The thing is always the consistency of said missing of open receivers.

You're not an expert on accuracy but if you have tried any hobby you should know you can improve on something but there is a limit to it most times. If it wasn't everybody that did the same level of anything would be the same and we know that's not true. Dak just isn't accurate and it isn't much improvement coming. That's not just him but anybody after some time of development. You may improve a little but the big changes are very rare after a certain period of development.

Maybe so, but Dak, imho, doesn't need a huge improvement in some areas for this team, with Zeke, a good defense and a good o-line, to be a SB contender. When people complain about Dak missing "wide open" receivers like Gallup, they fail to remember Gallup's a rookie, Cooper's only been here a handful of games, Hurns is new to the team this year, Swaim has now been out some games, the line is missing Frederick, T. Smith is not the T. Smith of old and don't forget the poor play calling. That's a lot for a third year quarterback to overcome.

Apparently (not saying you) think that ALL this team needs is a better quarterback and it's all going to come up roses. Well the Vikings thought ALL they needed was a stud running back, so they got Walker, and how many SBs did they win with him? ZERO. Eagles thought all they needed was a few "star" defensive players to win a SB, so the "dream team" was born. How many SBs did that team win? ZERO. Mike Ditka traded every draft pick he had for one Ricky Williams, and how many SBs did the Saints win with him? ZERO.

Problem is to get the "stud" quarterback (who could end up another Russell or Leaf), you have to either lose all but a couple of games and get the top 1-2 draft pick, or trade for a "stud" veteran quarterback (and get a Alex Smith or Cousins, who to this point haven't done a whole lot) and have to give up lots of high draft picks, and then you gotta pay him, so you're limited as to who you can pay as supporting cast). Either way it's a crap shoot as to what happens.

It's not up to us, it's up to Jerry. And I'm thinking he knows his time to get another ring is running short, so he doesn't want to start over with a rookie hot shot quarterback or hope the vet can stay healthy (see Alex Smith) for a few more years.

We can gripe about Dak all we want, but I seriously doubt he's going anywhere for at least 2-3 more years, at the least...

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Golf swings and pitching are taught. If they were natural motions, there would be many more tiger woods' in the world. And far more 20 game winners in MLB. I remain convinced accuracy can be taught by perfecting techniques. You don't.
It absolutely can be taught, to suggest otherwise is silly.

Ddisco22

Reaction score

Everyone is entitled to their opinion we keep hearing the same crap over and over and over!

Why are we so critical of one QB?? The guy takes us to the playoffs twice in three years wins the NFC East Division and some of you still can't accept that..

Why are we dissecting every little play every little comment and not looking at the big picture they won with Dak Prescott!

They went from a three and five record to winning the division with Dak Prescott.

They beat the New Orleans Saints with Dak Prescott

They beat the Super Bowl champion Eagles twice which helped them keep the Eagles fighting for a wild-card who we wont face by the way with Dak Prescott.

These threads are ridiculous it needs to stop because it doesn't matter they do, you guys will hate on your QB

Last edited:

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Golf swings and pitching are taught. If they were natural motions, there would be many more tiger woods' in the world. And far more 20 game winners in MLB. I remain convinced accuracy can be taught by perfecting techniques. You don't.
Running is a natural motion but are you and I faster than Usian Bolt? It's a lot of things that's natural don't mean everybody is at the same level of doing it. You remain convinced accuracy can be improved because of ego not being realistic. Dak is set in his ways now. If he hasn't improved on that accuracy that he has been know was a problem before he set foot in the nfl don't get how y'all think he about to change it all of a sudden. Accuracy can be taught to a beginner but like most things after awhile your natural skills even with training help can get you but so far.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Aikman didn't always have the greatest line. And contrary to what many suggest, Aikman could run the ball. He made everyone on offense better, he demanded it.
I don't remember him being a particularly good runner, but I agree that he did make everyone around him better. He was the unquestioned leader of his team.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I don't remember him being a particularly good runner, but I agree that he did make everyone around him better. He was the unquestioned leader of his team.
It wasn't often, but he ran a few well. I think the perception is that way because he didn't have to the vast majority of his career.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why are we so critical of one QB??
I have been asking the same thing here since 2006.
These threads are ridiculous it needs to stop because it doesn't matter they do, you guys will hate on your QB
May I suggest something based on many years of being a CowboysZone member?

Do not hold your breath.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Maybe so, but Dak, imho, doesn't need a huge improvement in some areas for this team, with Zeke, a good defense and a good o-line, to be a SB contender. When people complain about Dak missing "wide open" receivers like Gallup, they fail to remember Gallup's a rookie, Cooper's only been here a handful of games, Hurns is new to the team this year, Swaim has now been out some games, the line is missing Frederick, T. Smith is not the T. Smith of old and don't forget the poor play calling. That's a lot for a third year quarterback to overcome.

Apparently (not saying you) think that ALL this team needs is a better quarterback and it's all going to come up roses. Well the Vikings thought ALL they needed was a stud running back, so they got Walker, and how many SBs did they win with him? ZERO. Eagles thought all they needed was a few "star" defensive players to win a SB, so the "dream team" was born. How many SBs did that team win? ZERO. Mike Ditka traded every draft pick he had for one Ricky Williams, and how many SBs did the Saints win with him? ZERO.

Problem is to get the "stud" quarterback (who could end up another Russell or Leaf), you have to either lose all but a couple of games and get the top 1-2 draft pick, or trade for a "stud" veteran quarterback (and get a Alex Smith or Cousins, who to this point haven't done a whole lot) and have to give up lots of high draft picks, and then you gotta pay him, so you're limited as to who you can pay as supporting cast). Either way it's a crap shoot as to what happens.

It's not up to us, it's up to Jerry. And I'm thinking he knows his time to get another ring is running short, so he doesn't want to start over with a rookie hot shot quarterback or hope the vet can stay healthy (see Alex Smith) for a few more years.

We can gripe about Dak all we want, but I seriously doubt he's going anywhere for at least 2-3 more years, at the least...
I'm tired of the third year excuse about Dak. He's been starting since game 1 with offseasons so that excuse don't hunt for me. He misses too many wide open easy plays and doesn't overall make enough to make up for it or else it would be less polarizing Dak talk.

With this current team I do think a more accurate qb is all the offense needs to be top notch even with the bad o line play this year. Some not all of that is on Dak and his 56k modem processing skills esp after we got Cooper. I agree we can't just get a stud qb out of nowhere but I'm on the KC plan as soon as we have a chance to upgrade to get rid of Alex Prescott.

This is a messageboard where people gripe all the time so the we can gripe but it don't mean nothing logic never stopped anybody before and dang sure isn't now. Don't even get the point of mentioning that captain obvious stuff like it will stop folks from posting their grievances and others from going back and forth over said grievances.

Ddisco22

Reaction score
I have been asking the same thing here since 2006.
May I suggest something based on many years of being a CowboysZone member?

Do not hold your breath.
I don't get it how could one call himself a fan and be so critical of your quarterback even in winning situations?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't get it how could one call himself a fan and be so critical of your quarterback even in winning situations?
Simple.

Football involves many elements. Players. Coaches. Execution. Adaptability. Fortitude. Luck.

Some people somewhat or completely ignore all of the above and focus solely upon how they perceive quarterbacks perform.

Just the quarterback.

That's it.