Video: Troy Aikman on accuracy: You either have it or you don't

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Oh how right you are Lamar.

Master Prescott inherited the best offensive line in football and the #1 pick at Running back and could still only manage pedestrian numbers. Dude Is mediocrity personified
He was Rookie of the Year and set numerous NFL and Cowboys records with that inheritance. Short memory I guess. Too much shalicqour?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
aikman was coached by arguably the best coach the cowboys ever had. (sorry, tom). he had the greatest oc ever in norv turner. he had, consistently, the best o-line in the game. dak has been handicapped by garrett, linehan and a talented o-line group that's been getting injured quite a lot lately. never underestimate the value of great coaching.
2nd best. Tom was by far the better coach.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This board is simply toxic. What an awful place.
Not really, just a sports forum with some pretty strong opinions. If you find it toxic and awful, why remain here and post? And by the Likes you received, you are not alone in that assessment.

I find this a rather fascinating place after learning about some of the frequent posters here and how they lean. Some even wanted the team to lose out to get rid of Garrett and some are even reluctant to give him any credit for the turnaround.

THA, being a fan is so emotion heavy and logic light, what would you expect? More than any fan of any team in sports, many Cowboys fans have this odd love/hate relationship with their team. What's so funny is the happiness of the turnaround but the disappointment that it was Garrett. So complete is the hate of him, with some, that they don't want him to improve. This is a most unusual situation.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
No, nearly every expert analyst out there speaks for him. No matter how many times you call people haters, it doesn't change the fact that our defense is more responsible for a winning record than Dak is.

I want Dak to be great. I want him to be the greatest QB in the history of the NFL, as long as he's the starting QB of the Dallas Cowboys....and if he ever approaches elite status, I'll be right there rooting him on. Hell, I'm rooting for him now. I'm also rooting for my one legged nephew to break records in track and field.

You apparently don't understand situational coaching.

When the defense keeps you in it, the coaches/playcallers will tighten up and play more conservative...

The defense is good. You're not stating anything anyone else doesn't already know..

The key, to some of us here, is context. And there really is a lot to be excited about with Dak.

You have to consider how he played as a rookie and the fact he's a young player.

Cowboy fans have a habit of being biased about players of old. But that's actually what maks Dak so special, he came in way ahead of the curve in some aspects of his game in his rookie year.

His story is similar to Romo's when he unseated Bledsoe in that regard.

You guys forget, all of our quarterbacks, including Aikman had flaws.

They weren't gods.

Selective memory is rampant among Cowboys fans....

For every "great" thing they remember, they'll forget two bad plays.

When bad plays are fresh, they dwell on them.

This is why it's important to watch tape in addition to stats.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
Romo sat, because he was an UDFA from division III. He had the arm, the accuracy but lacked understanding of the game. he learned to control his gun slinger mentality. with that said, he had good offensive cast and he produced. defenses lacked often. this year, our defense is phenomenal compared to past 8 years. we can attribute multiple victories directly to the defense when offense struggled. Tampa, Saints, Philly come to mind recently. in contrast, when offense lacks to be average, we tend to lose. all this defense needs is an average offense and we have failed in that recently.
No he did not have the accuracy. That was stated in his a football life special. I believe it was him or Parcells that said he had to work at it daily. Either way that was another point people brought up when Troy made comments about having it or not in the past. It was something that just couldn't be taught or learned. It was thrown around that Romo had it yet when he says himself he had to learn it it was crickets.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
No he did not have the accuracy. That was stated in his a football life special. I believe it was him or Parcells that said he had to work at it daily. Either way that was another point people brought up when Troy made comments about having it or not in the past. It was something that just couldn't be taught or learned. It was thrown around that Romo had it yet when he says himself he had to learn it it was crickets.
You would be correct. Romo stated that he could see the play that needed to be made but would throw the ball at the feet of the receiver. He said his guilty pleasure was learning how to throw the ball from different angles. He didn't worry about winning or losing, just improving on throwing the ball.

You could even see how important this was for Romo when it showed the clip of him and Aaron Rogers at the pro bowl. He asked Aaron if he ever changes his grip and Aaron was showing Romo how to hold the ball and put his hips into the throw for zip.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
You would be correct. Romo stated that he could see the play that needed to be made but would throw the ball at the feet of the receiver. He said his guilty pleasure was learning how to throw the ball from different angles. He didn't worry about winning or losing, just improving on throwing the ball.

You could even see how important this was for Romo when it showed the clip of him and Aaron Rogers at the pro bowl. He asked Aaron if he ever changes his grip and Aaron was showing Romo how to hold the ball and put his hips into the throw for zip.

Man, Romo got the shaft.... In several ways, from the Dez no-catch to the team never putting an entire team around him to win.

Pass2Run

Reaction score

:laugh:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
You apparently don't understand situational coaching.

When the defense keeps you in it, the coaches/playcallers will tighten up and play more conservative...

The defense is good. You're not stating anything anyone else doesn't already know..

The key, to some of us here, is context. And there really is a lot to be excited about with Dak.

You have to consider how he played as a rookie and the fact he's a young player.

Cowboy fans have a habit of being biased about players of old. But that's actually what maks Dak so special, he came in way ahead of the curve in some aspects of his game in his rookie year.

His story is similar to Romo's when he unseated Bledsoe in that regard.

You guys forget, all of our quarterbacks, including Aikman had flaws.

They weren't gods.

Selective memory is rampant among Cowboys fans....

For every "great" thing they remember, they'll forget two bad plays.

When bad plays are fresh, they dwell on them.

This is why it's important to watch tape in addition to stats.
I see, so Dak misses wide open receivers so often because the offense got more conservative....I get it now, thank you!

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I see, so Dak misses wide open receivers so often because the offense got more conservative....I get it now, thank you!

It happens to every quarterback.

You just dwell on it because you have a standard of perfection in your mind.

On the whole, not a terribly inaccurate quarterback...Just has to fix some things that are fixable in time, with the right coaching and practice.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
You guys love comparing Dak to HoFers and pounding your chest when he comes up just short

Aren't you the one who made an issue of Aikman's overall No. 1 pick?
Why would I not mention other overall No. 1 picks?
:huh:

tyke1doe

Reaction score
31-16 with 2 Division Titles
95.2 Passer Rating .....good for Top 10 All Time
66.2% Comp Rating.......63-25 TD-INT
Another 900 yd Rushing and 18 TDs

Only 25 years old
So you are really taking stock with that good for Top 10 all time, right?
Who in the top 10 would you consider him better than?

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Dak numbers this year are better than last season, he has thrown fewer ints, he has thrown for more yards, his QB rating is higher. As for defense keeping us in the game? Last time I checked that is what a defense is supposed to do. I think Dak still has much work ahead of him but this daily bashing gets old, you guys act as if he has contribute nothing yet he has hit a lot of big plays this season and some clutch plays to help this team.
Never said he hasn't contributed anything. He has made a few plays here and there, extended drives with his legs and led a few comebacks (even though those games should have been blowouts).
But if you noticed, this topic is about Aikman. And some Dak supporters, giggle, giggle, actually think that he MAY BE better than, snicker, snicker, Aikman. :laugh::laugh::lmao2:

Uh, no. CLEARLY a case of when statistics go wrong.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
So you are really taking stock with that good for Top 10 all time, right?
Who in the top 10 would you consider him better than?
We don't know yet do we?

He has not yet even begun to peak and when he does it will be glorious

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Aren't you the one who made an issue of Aikman's overall No. 1 pick?
Why would I not mention other overall No. 1 picks?
:huh:
This is the best Aikman ever looked

Dvb3gkCXQAAGGzG.jpg

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Never said he hasn't contributed anything. He has made a few plays here and there, extended drives with his legs and led a few comebacks (even though those games should have been blowouts).
But if you noticed, this topic is about Aikman. And some Dak supporters, giggle, giggle, actually think that he MAY BE better than, snicker, snicker, Aikman. :laugh::laugh::lmao2:

Uh, no. CLEARLY a case of when statistics go wrong.

I have never claimed that Dak is better than Aikman or Romo or any othe vet QB. What many have done is compare Dak numbers vs a Romo or Aikman at the same points of their career. You can't compare a 3rd year QB vs 14 year vet but you can compare 3rd year numbers to 3rd year numbers that in my view is fair. Romo was able to continue to learn and develop as a QB and he talked every year about the need to work and improve. I have supported Romo and I support Dak, I see much Dak can and must improve on and I think he can.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
We don't know yet do we?

He has not yet even begun to peak and when he does it will be glorious
So you can't say now who Dak is better than in the top 10?
You can cite it as evidence but you can't say who he's better than?
Sounds like a convenient dodge to me.