Troy Aikman on Dak

pansophy

Reaction score
But hasn't everything around him deteriorated as well?

How do you expect a young qb to develop without weapons? How can we expect him to improve when the protection sucks?

How can we expect him to improve when the coaching sucks?

Aikman improved becuase all of the things i mentioned improved around him.

And he still wasn't great in year 3...
He is creating many of these problems by his inability to force defenders to protect the whole field. Defenses can blitz without threat of being punished for it. Defenses are stacking the box to stop the run and Dak still struggles to pass over 200 yards.

So many throws are off target. We knew his mechanics weren’t good and we see the effect of that every play Dak doesn’t have ideal conditions.

Unfortunately success as a QB is not determined by how he throws under ideal conditions, but under less than ideal conditions.

...and for what it is worth he struggles to attack the sidelines 10-20 yards downfield even in ideal circumstances.

Sydla

Reaction score
But hasn't everything around him deteriorated as well?

How do you expect a young qb to develop without weapons? How can we expect him to improve when the protection sucks?

How can we expect him to improve when the coaching sucks?

Aikman improved becuase all of the things i mentioned improved around him.

And he still wasn't great in year 3...

Aikman also improved because he was just a more talented QB. He had better mechanics and fundamentals than Dak.

That's the thing that you and others are missing when you go off on blaming the OL or WRs or coaches. Dak is doing things that have nothing to do with what's going on around him.

That third down pass he threw low in the Houston game is an example. He had a clean area to throw, a wide open WR and yet he bizarrely jumped and was off balance making the throw which resulted in a very low pass. That's no one's fault but his. His mechanics, as has been pointed out by many now, are sloppy and don't seem to have improved much. There was the analysis of his interception that bounced off Austin's hands. Dak had poor feet placement when he threw it which resulted in a high pass. Blame Austin all you want, but the pass was still high and that was largely because Dak simply had poor footwork on the play.

How long do we have to wait to see those things get better? How long do we have to wait before we can expect Dak to finally show consistent fundamentals like other top QBs? How long before we can expect him to understand his reads and anticipate throws? These are honest questions.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Norv said that there were practices with Aikman where the ball never came close to hitting the grass or turf. That is how accurate he was.

I know it doesn't take a genius to see accuracy issues, but if there is one who can speak to them with a massive amount of credibility, it is Troy Aikman.

Ken

Reaction score
Norv said that there were practices with Aikman where the ball never came close to hitting the grass or turf. That is how accurate he was.

I know it doesn't take a genius to see accuracy issues, but if there is one who can speak to them with a massive amount of credibility, it is Troy Aikman.
I can assure you...it wasn't in his first three years.

Sydla

Reaction score

The reality is I would trust Aikman's assessment of a QB over most people on this board. Could he be wrong? Sure. If you had a gun to your head and had to pick the guy to trust in assessing Dak, would you pick Aikman or a poster on this board? It's an easy answer.

What's really funny is that the Dak fan club is so upset with Aikman's assessment that they are essentially going back and now nitpicking his career in order to undermine his credibility and ability to assess how a QB is playing far better than most here ever could. It's funny and sad, all at the same time.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
I can assure you...it wasn't in his first three years.
How would you know? To be accurate in a game one has to be accurate in practice. Things don't happen the other way around.

Aikman was regarded as the top prospect in football by most scouts the year he was drafted and one of the main reasons for that was his accuracy as a QB in college. He was on one of the worst ever teams in football in his first year and a pretty bad team the following year. His stats during that time are hardly a reflection of his accuracy as a QB.

Ken

Reaction score
How would you know? To be accurate in a game one has to be accurate in practice. Things don't happen the other way around.

Aikman was regarded as the top prospect in football by most scouts the year he was drafted and one of the main reasons for that was his accuracy as a QB in college. He was on one of the worst ever teams in football in his first year and a pretty bad team the following year. His stats during that time are hardly a reflection of his accuracy as a QB.
oh.. so weapons and coaching matters.

Gotcha.

Ken

Reaction score
I've seen Aikman since his UCLA days. He's far more accurate passer even in his college days than Dak and it's not even funny.
not disputing that.

My point was he was horrid his firat few years when the situation wasn't great around him.

Now take a qb who wasn't #1 and doesn't have that talent and we wonder why he isn't performing when we give him nothing to work with.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
oh.. so weapons and coaching matters.

Gotcha.
Not for accuracy. You either have it or you don't.

There are other factors that can make it appear that a QB isn't accurate because football is a team game, but a QB being accurate in and of itself is not dependent upon those factors.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
not disputing that.

My point was he was horrid his firat few years when the situation wasn't great around him.

Now take a qb who wasn't #1 and doesn't have that talent and we wonder why he isn't performing when we give him nothing to work with.
Exactly!

These guys are simply whiners. They don't understand the game.

Reactions: Ken

Sydla

Reaction score
not disputing that.

You just basically agreed with what people have been saying.

Dak is a limited QB - physically, etc. He's not as talented as those upper echelon guys we see in the league now.

People know part of his struggles are the coach and talent around him. But most also acknowledge that part of his struggles are his own limitations.

Haimerej

Reaction score
The reality is I would trust Aikman's assessment of a QB over most people on this board. Could he be wrong? Sure. If you had a gun to your head and had to pick the guy to trust in assessing Dak, would you pick Aikman or a poster on this board? It's an easy answer.

What's really funny is that the Dak fan club is so upset with Aikman's assessment that they are essentially going back and now nitpicking his career in order to undermine his credibility and ability to assess how a QB is playing far better than most here ever could. It's funny and sad, all at the same time.

It's typical ad hominem. They don't want to talk about what he said so they attack him, as if his career has anything to do with Dak's.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I actually don’t bash any of them. I actually don’t even bash Dak. He does many things well. Unfortunately defenses are largely able to take those strengths away and make him play through his weaknesses.

If he could throw to the intermediate outside routes Dak would be the whole package. I haven’t seen any improvement in those throws though over the last 2 1/2 years.

At what point is it fair to expect your QB to be able to make all the throws?
NFL defenses as a whole have basically took outside routes away. Thats why you see trips bunched and you see "natural" picks freeing a guy up to get that open. Or you see a QB scramble and you see it open late. Does Dallas run these kinds of plays?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I know bro. I'm gonna check out more on his mechanics and attempt to see what's going on. Obviously I'm just a layman but I'm very interested
I watched a lot of his throws and mentioned in my week 1 post, regarding his accuracy and his seeing the field issues and some people grilled me for it...

he doesn't set his feet and use his lower body to throw the ball, thus his release point is inconsistent. in other videos I watched his feet aren't set properly and usually they are parallel to line of scrimmage or his base is too narrow and he is trying to "arm" it there. I hadn't seen him doing much of this before, when he flips his leg like that, which tells me he is not torqueing his upper body around his waste...its no different than a gold swing, the power comes from lower body with the torque you create...thus it leads to inconsistent release point. He also is not brining his shoulder around and stops his motion half way in between and tries to muscle with his arm. that lacks power, accuracy. there are college Qbs that do a lot better in mechanics than he does.

btw, someone posted his college scouting report and it was exactly the same issues...he has not improved at all.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
But without Emmitt how did he do? What im trying to get through to you people is QBs need capable players who are capable of making plays. Ill post this until most of you are dead tired of hearing it and then ill probably keep posting it just to rile you up. All of you whine about the scrub WRs and the OL pass blocking. But ignore this when it comes to your hate on Dak. Every single one of you. When it comes to Dak damned be all the problems you whine about, its just he isnt good. But at the same time he's playing with all the players you guys whine about not being good enough.
and those were the 90's.......and Dak does have Zeke...he is not getting the job done. teams have figured it out since last year...when zeke was gone...it all came down to Dak and teams figured out, that they don't need to fear this guy, they actually need to put the ball in his hands and force him to win the games. so they have been selling out to stop running game and force him to pass and he is not doing a good job of it... we saw the break down of the film for first two games and there were plenty of WRs that were open in plenty of plays that he just didn't get the ball there or didn't see them. he is not putting the ball where it needs to be and now WRs are looking back. he is holding on to the ball too long and makes the OL look bad...Dak is not good and someday very soon all his supporters will realize that and come to their senses that for the good of the team, we need to find another QB